RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

will check out.

i acknowledge that these games are coming out, but i think they are going to start getting more recognition in the coming years.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Also, I'm pretty sure Blizzard is doing whatever the hell they want.

Blizzard definately can't do whatever their designers want. Their last original IP was 12 years ago. Last spinoff 6 years ago. Last sequel is very much alike as the original game 12 years ago. Also Diablo 3 will be very much like previous games in that series. This is not because their designers are out of ideas, it's because of financial realities. Every minor change that they make for the World of Warcraft is ultimately based on financial realities. Sure, they have tried all kinds of crazy things but always ended up fixing 'em later on. Even storyline is constantly being adjusted to fit the current trends.

Blizzard has extremely talented designers but even they have to think how the majority will react to their work.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

You do realize that every other big developer would consider using ~10 year old game mechanics a really, really bad idea, right?

If they were strapped for money, they would release it multiplatform and probably make more money. They are using the old IPs because they want to use them, they didn't really glamor for making new IPs before WoW either.

Edited by Purkake

They do get recognition in the right circles, I don't know what Obsidianites have against indie games.

Also if you break into the mainstream, you lose your sweet indie cred.

i mean recognition of the $$$ kind.

I'd rather have a good game than indie cred.

making $$$ doesnt mean you arent indie anymore. World of Goo and Braid made bank I'm pretty sure.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

You do realize that every other big developer would consider using ~10 year old game mechanics a really, really bad idea, right?

That's why I said "Even giants like Blizzard are feeling the pressure and it comes mostly from their own old games.". If we're talking about RTS, nothing that Relic or Creative Assembly have done surpassed Blizzards Starcraft. So obviously Blizzard ain't gonna start ripping of those games, when they can just continue where they left with their own game. Same for Diablo series.

We don't have that many successful AAA genres left in game biz anymore so yes, to use 10+ years old game mechanics probably would be terrible for any other company then Blizzard (and all those JRPG developers who continue to abuse same formula over and over again). We have first person shooters, sport games, action adventure games, sandboxes... and CRPGs (and MMOGs + social worlds). In all those genres we have seen some changes (evolution or de-evolution? ).

My point was that if Blizzard actually needed the money, they would make Diablo 3 multiplatform and it would be out already.

SCII is a different beast because of the whole South Korea thing. Since they can pretty much choose what to do, they're taking their sweet time and catering to the existing fanbase, they don't have to deal with the platform holders and thus they don't. They have the luxury of choice.

isn't Starcraft 2 free in south corea? I guess Blizzard makes money off TV broadcasts there?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If we're talking about RTS, nothing that Relic or Creative Assembly have done surpassed Blizzards Starcraft. So obviously Blizzard ain't gonna start ripping of those games, when they can just continue where they left with their own game. Same for Diablo series.

From a pure RTS standpoint both Supreme Commander and COH are superior.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Total War games are a lot more realistic than Starcraft, and on the other end - Civilisation. Starcraft looks like a mash of the basic ideas from these two. and I find them more enjoyable. SC is all about defense, who in the world would like that kind of game? :x

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If we're talking about RTS, nothing that Relic or Creative Assembly have done surpassed Blizzards Starcraft. So obviously Blizzard ain't gonna start ripping of those games, when they can just continue where they left with their own game. Same for Diablo series.

From a pure RTS standpoint both Supreme Commander and COH are superior.

It's an interesting case study, actually. The strategy genre has moved forward quite a bit from the small maps and strictly rock-paper-scissor unit system while the Diablo-style ARPG genre has barely moved at all with Titan Quest being the only real contender. Starcraft II is still an excellent game with superbly polished gameplay, crazy varied missions and unmatched multiplayer balance, but at the same time it really does show it's age when you compare the gameplay style to more modern RTSs.

Personally I'd play the single player, but wouldn't touch the multiplayer with a 10 foot psi blade. I do love some nice large scale multiplayer strategy every now and then where the actions per minute and general micromanagement isn't that important.

Total War games are a lot more realistic than Starcraft, and on the other end - Civilisation. Starcraft looks like a mash of the basic ideas from these two. and I find them more enjoyable. SC is all about defense, who in the world would like that kind of game? :x

For the love of the flying acronym monster, please don't abbreviate Supreme Commander SC in a post also mentioning Starcraft. Starcraft is SC, Supreme Commander is SupCom. Also, how it's any more about defense than any other strategy game?

Oh and on the topic of indie games on Steam: How Steam saved Introvoersion's bacon.

Edited by Purkake

Company of Heroes, Total War games and Dawn of War series all use squad based units. For old skool RTS it's always individual units, who can form a squad. I just played Dawn of War 2 on Primarch difficulty and it's sometimes really painful to get squads to move fast enough where you want 'em (especially in boss fights). While my micro skills are abysmal, I'm not sure if moving to squad based units is improvement in the genre.

Starcraft is SC

that's exactly what I meant, sorry, should've made it more clear

Walsingham said:

to Ryu's post:

I think this is basically true for most people. Personally I would think that squad based games would be a bit less microtastic than individual units would given that making 6 guys move takes more than 1 guy. Also the unit cap in relics games is ridiculously low

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

to Ryu's post:

I think this is basically true for most people. Personally I would think that squad based games would be a bit less microtastic than individual units would given that making 6 guys move takes more than 1 guy. Also the unit cap in relics games is ridiculously low

At least you don't have to build a base or manage the economy in DoW2...

I think it's nice that strategy games are branching out into tactical-ish squad style micromanagement and into giant map large scale strategy like SupCom(too bad about the sequel, though).

maybe Relic will remake space hulk. I could see them knocking that out of the park.

to Ryu's post:

At least you don't have to build a base or manage the economy in DoW2...

I think it's nice that strategy games are branching out into tactical-ish squad style micromanagement and into giant map large scale strategy like SupCom(too bad about the sequel, though).

True, although bungie did that in Myth wayyy before Dawn of War.

Honestly, Dawn of War would have done better without "boss" fights where all you're doing is microing around and trying to kill this massive dude. Sure they could have done it like once or twice in the campaign, but having it be like every third fight was just... painful. When I think Warhammer I kinda think more "Company of heroes without a base" than "squad based mmo dungeon"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

didnt relic make homeworld?

or was that the joke?