RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Levine is not literally owned by investors unless he has a contract for a certain amount of games or something like that.

His team certainly is. Irrational is owned by 2K. They could walk out en masse and create a studio from scratch (it's been done, certainly) but that would likely invite a lot of legal trouble, and no small amount of closed doors from publishers concerned about the "temperament" of the people they contract.

I see a future where good developers (ie the speilbergs and camerons of the game world) can make their own games and have publishers fight over who gets to release it.

It's just a bit ironic that you show such disdain for big-ticket games and deign to characterize James Cameron as an artiste in the world of film.

I certainly didnt intend to say cameron was an artiste of the likes of kurosawa or orson welles or anything. But he did make two of the greatest action films ever made by anyone ever in history ever (terminator and aliens), so don't talk about him like he's paul ws anderson.

my point was that cameron's movies make so much money that he can probably do whatever he wants.

also: if you can find one post i've made where I show general disdain for big ticket games I will give you a cookie. I love big-ticket games. I don't like halo or gears of war, but I love call of duty, zelda, final fantasy (but not 13) etc etc. I mostly play big ticket games.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

German company is making a Dungeon Keeper clone

Kalypso anouncing the "Dungeons"

MAybe we will be finally able to play another Dungeon Keeper game after all.

Whoa, hope they nail it. My DK is starting show some wear after all these years.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Fear 3 trailer looks slightly awesome.

Looks worse than the second FEAR, which was already abysmal.

I actually kinda liked it. Admittedly it was dumbed down for the consoles. But the Expansion had a return to form on the story/feel side of things

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I can't believe the amount of attention we keep giving Irrational. I couldn't be less interested in their milking a single shooter model for years. (+XCOM)... ah well. Good on them for getting themselves set up strongly, though.

Trying the Victoria 2 demo and it looks quite good, though I imagine it'll take me a good while longer until I 'get' the game. The UI is the best I have seen in any Paradox game, finally one that looks nice, feels nice, shows all the info, and cross-indexes everything. The trade screen and a few others could be better, but well done. Also seems to run well and I like the abundance of pop-up events. I think I will end up getting this.

The UI is the best I have seen in any Paradox game, finally one that looks nice, feels nice, shows all the info, and cross-indexes everything. The trade screen and a few others could be better, but well done.

Maybe it's the resolution but I found the interface to be terrible, especially the POP/goods icons which seem indistinguishable without considerable eyestrain.

It

I can't believe the amount of attention we keep giving Irrational. I couldn't be less interested in their milking a single shooter model for years. (+XCOM)... ah well. Good on them for getting themselves set up strongly, though.
XCOM is from the guys who made Bioshock 2 AFAIK.

XCOM is from the guys who made Bioshock 2 AFAIK.

No. There are 2 "K MArine studios. One in Marine (duh) that made Bioshock 2, and the other in Australia that makes XCOM.

Gamasutra interview with Raphael Colantonio (CEO and co-creative director of Arkane) and Harvey Smith (co-creative director of Arkane)

This acquisition means you'll never get to work on [outside properties like] Ultima Underworld, or Half-Life, or Deus Ex. Was that a hard decision?

HS: We routinely describe our current game as a combination of Underworld, Half-Life, and Deus Ex. I think it's important to note that as much as Raph and I love Thief, System Shock, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex and BioShock, that style of game.

Ultima Underworld is perhaps the patient zero, I would say -- it's not the IP specifically, it's the spirit of what the player gets to do in this atmospheric environment where the player can play with systems, and play creatively.

wow, 8 pages in one day, you guys rock

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in development, officially [via GAF]

GSC Game World announces S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - the official sequel to best-selling game series - in development now. A completely new multi-platform technology developed by GSC will make the core of the game.

"After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us" - said Sergiy Grygorovych, CEO of GSC Game World.

The game is scheduled for release in 2012.

this maybe confirms some peoples earlier suspicions that the next fallout and elder scrolls games will be using the id tech. I think thats a good thing if it leads to better animations than gamebryo seemed able to allow?

unless gamebryo wasnt the problem and it was just bethsoft not knowing how to animate...

im not a tech guy so i just dont know this stuff

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

this maybe confirms some peoples earlier suspicions that the next fallout and elder scrolls games will be using the id tech. I think thats a good thing if it leads to better animations than gamebryo seemed able to allow?

unless gamebryo wasnt the problem and it was just bethsoft not knowing how to animate...

AFAIK Beth's games are the only Gamebryo game with animation problems of that proportions.

this maybe confirms some peoples earlier suspicions that the next fallout and elder scrolls games will be using the id tech.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Au..._Kotaku_and_NPR

On Kotaku, he [Todd Howard] said that even though ZeniMax acquired id Software and its id Tech 5 engine, they are going to stick with their version of the GameBryo engine for their next big game they're making since they finished Fallout 3, updated and retooled to some extent. The thing they intend to improve the most in the engine is their animation system and graphics in general.
Edited by funcroc

That is pretty obviously why they bought id in the first place.

Though, as Worst said, the animation problem probably isn't caused by the engine...

EDIT: :lol:

Edited by Purkake

Well, I dunno, there's some fairly legendary games in the Id Tech 3 branch. They were totally run over by UE in the next gen, though. :/

Also kind of interesting to note, that Ion Storm's other projects (apart from the UE based Deus Ex) used Id Tech...

Anyway, Valve is probably chuckling at the moment.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

ok well that answered that question lol.

one more game out of gamebryo then... I have to admit I'm a bit surprised since the engine has been showing its age in my eyes, or maybe thats just the animation again...