RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

I guess their next game will take place on the Moon...

I wish, my money's on Pyroshock taking place in a volcano city.

Followed by Cryshock taking place in an arctic ice city

They'll run out of ideologies before they run out of locales.

i would totally be interested in REMshock.

it'd be like inception with more robot monsters.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I loved the first, liked the second (for 20$, would have disliked it for 60$), and am not very interested in a third. Its frankly a lot less interesting when revisited multiple times. If system shock 3 had come out 1 year after system shock 2 and had been almost identical I probably wouldnt have been that excited then either.

which is why this should have been futureshock/systemshock3/cybershock whatever... some sort of awesome scary sci-fi game. and not a prequel to bioshock.

arg. I'll still end up getting it once it goes on sale for 20$, or if there actually is a lot more to the game than whats been said so far. but right now it just looks like more of the same.......

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

REMShock, taking place in ones imagination.

It's called Psychonauts and it's awesome.

Meanwhile at 2K offices:

rjSVW.gif

Just wait for Psychonauts horror FPS with another name by Irrational. With Big Daddies.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I try to be, but I can't shake that feeling of disappointment that followed after playing Bioshock COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They chose to go with the year 1912... Red Dead Redemption was 1911 (but obviously complitely different area of the US) but otherwise that time period is rarely seen in games. Great american isolation (but still many armed conflicts in central america) and Taft as president :p

I'm looking forward to this.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Synopsis:
BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

Hmmm....

Isn't that plot basically what the original version of the Bioshock plot was supposed to be?

I can't remember you needed to save someone in BS1.

Looked it up, in the original concept of Bioshock, the hero was a "cult deprogrammer". So not exactly the same, no.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

After reading some of the previews I'm actually excited about this game.

Who's with me?

I'm sure it'll play decently and look nice, but is this really what we've come to? The most innovation a AAA series with a superstar(by gaming standards) developer can manage is to change the setting from a broken underwater city to a broken flying city and tilt the philosophy angle a bit?

Talk about being creatively bankrupt...

I find it incredibly sad that all those previews basically say nothing about the gameplay.

From Kotaku:

Guns go in your character's right hand. Powers are on the left.
Murder of Crows is also the brand name of the bottle from which DeWitt later drank in order to obtain the ability to send out his own angry birds.
That same power was used to stop a football-sized shell in mid-air, rotate it and fire it back at the turret from which it came.
Edited by Purkake

Could be neat, but gameplay-wise it sounds worryingly like a Bioshock Total Conversion Mod with extra bells and whistles. After the pretty dismal sequel (before that, even) I've been worried about the "CHA-CHING CHA-CHING" sound that no doubt sounded loud between the ears of the 2K brass who, if you remember, were in pretty dire financial straits around the time of the first Bioshock, looking for a buyer but possessed of too many expensive franchises (GTA and Bioshock, in particular) to find one. The squandering of Irrational's potential is almost certainly the fault of their owners. Bioshock 2 was a rush job with some pretty stupid ideas, where it actually had them.

Anyway, the 4 years of development time might not really be a smooth unbroken process. They could have gone through several revisions of the game or they may have started a different game before working on Infinite. Game development is littered with false starts and cancellations that fans never hear about. My hope is that they've used that time to fashion a new engine, because the version of UE3 they used for the first two had some major limitations.