RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Via NeoGAF:

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based entertainment software in the United States, surprised the game world today by announcing their next project, Torchlight II.

I read somewhere that Crysis 2 was delayed into Q1 2011.

I'm sure people will be shocked about this.

I'm pretty sure most here don't give a damn about Crysis 2.

I'm sure it'll be decent.

The first Crysis really only got the attention it did, because of the supposed graphical awesomeness and the problems it caused. The game itself was average at best, with a few underutilized gimmicks.

I'm sure it'll be decent.

The first Crysis really only got the attention it did, because of the supposed graphical awesomeness and the problems it caused. The game itself was average at best, with a few underutilized gimmicks.

Exactly. It'll be interesting to see how the technology works on the consoles, and the difference between the console versions and the PC one but that's it for me.

Also, Rage interests me far more as far as graphically awesome FPS goes. It looks to have a really solid (if not original) style, and the gameplay from the E3 presentation looked rock solid too. Of course, it's too soon to know, and I don't really want to hype it or get hyped myself, but it peaked my interest whereas Crysis 2 didn't.

The graphics race is over guys. Doom 3 was 2004 and Crysis 2007. Now nobody cares about this stuff anymore. Crytek and id respectively have to prove now that a shooter's right for existence is beyond the graphics engine capability. In fact, I'm glad that Rage and Crysis 2 are restricted by consoles because now they have to design a fabulous game to stick out of the crowded FPS genre. It's now gameplay, story and features that defines how good a shooter is. They can't get away with petty graphics anymore.

The graphics race is far from over, we're just shifting from a a technical battle to a much cooler battle of art direction and polishing up animations/whatnot.

I don't really see Crytek trying to prove anything with Crysis 2, beyond the fact that Crysis can indeed run on consoles. I don' think they'll be doing anything particularly revolutionary for the FPS genre.

Rage on the other hand...

Edited by Purkake

Hilarious article about Activision: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/I..._Activision.php

"Activision has no room for 'we are making an open-world game with a Hong Kong action movie feel with a female lead,' because that game doesn't exist right now," says one source. "What they do have room for is, 'we are making an open-world game with a gangster main character who can steal cars and shoot people, but it will be in Hong Kong instead of Liberty City. And then they go, 'Hey, GTA IV sold 10 million copies, so that's what we expect from you.'"

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

However, our sources contend that Activision corporate routinely takes this methodology to extremes, making the pioneering of new ideas difficult -- and, some believe, at the expense of not only innovation, but overall quality, as developers get instructions to re-work projects mid-stream to keep pace with checklists of gameplay trends, even against the better judgment of the design teams.

Its what happens when you have people in charge of making games who don't care about games.

They don't see a game, they simply see product. This approach works OK for producing toasters and ball bearings, a lot less so for something creative.

It leads to a severe dearth of anything unique or interesting.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Does MW2 look like a Crysis killer? No? Why did it sell so well nonetheless?

People are consumers ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Torchlight 2 announced.

If Torchlight was Diablo with modern graphics, then Torchlight 2 is going to be Diablo 2 with modern graphics. The game will feature multiple dungeons with randomly generated overworld maps and four character classes instead of the original game's three. Also, it will finally feature multiplayer! Yes, unlike the original Torchlight, players will now now be able to enjoy some co-op dungeon diving! The game will also feature Torchlight's own flourishes, including item-shlepping pets, fishing, and the TorchEd game editor for producing mods.