Long live Alpha Protocol.

My biggest complaints with the game would be the story is way too cookie cutter (evil corp trying to start up a new cold war for profits) and the AI. I played an early mission where I was sneaking up to a guy to knock him out. He heard me at the last moment, turned around. Before he could shout or shoot I started beating on him and knocked him out. Somehow this brief fight with no gunfire involved was heard by multiple enemies who came rushing in and gunned me down (playing on hard). Next try, I was spotted sooner and the enemy actually opened fire on me before I closed the distance. Yet this time it was counted as a stealth knock out with no enemy backup showing up despite them being just outside the door. :thumbsup: Oddities like this happen a bit too frequently but don't kill the game.

That said, I'm replaying the game and I have to say this is a game that gets better with multiple playthroughs. Its fun discovering more of the story I missed the first time and trying a complete opposite style of play to the last (I'm trying to charm EVERYONE as well as going for a stealth/no kill playthrough opposed to my insult everyone and kill everything playthrough). Its wonderful to see how situations change based on choice. First playthrough I didn't really care if a sequel was made or not, but this time I'm really starting to hope for one. :)

P.S. Make some DLC missions dammit!

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

DLC might be delicious. But it would have to be quite extensive to take advantage of the games strengths.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

DLC might be delicious. But it would have to be quite extensive to take advantage of the games strengths.

Aye, I heartily agree. Also, just gotta say, love your forum avatar. :)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Had to add my ditto to this thread. Some of the more interesting playthroughs I've had:

- completely non-lethal - using only tranqs, hand-to-hand, and shock grenades - ended up with 2 kills TOTAL, both from secondary explosions I didn't even cause

- knife guy - tried to make every kill a stealth knife kill, the best I could do after two playthrough attempts was 295

- antisocial - make everyone you meet dislike you, funniest bit was using the "Talk to Madison" action in the Rome safe house - she mutters "****" and Mike mutters back "Bitch", every single time :)

- grenadier - max kills with gadgets, have to admit I still haven't done too well with this, my best is just under 200, need to try harder

- ghost - minimal interaction with AI on every mission, this is on my list to try, but I just have too much fun killing folks to stick to this playthrough

And again I will say how impressed I am that the game allows so many different approaches to each mission, and they each work without feeling like you are "breaking" the system - they seem to have perks that recognize just about every style of play (the +10 and +25 Endurance perks for nonlethal takedowns was a nice one). Not being forced into any particular playstyle is very refreshing.

To me Alpha Protocol is somewhat of a flawed masterpiece. Yes, it had issues. A lot of them. But Obsidian's vision came through and in the end the ride was more than worth it. In fact, it was so damn good that I got right back to it! It delivered where most RPGs fall short. Meaningful choices and consequences. This game gave me that and I enjoyed every single moment of it. Which is rather funny considering I had no real hopes for it. I expected another Mass Effect so imagine my surprise when I got something closer to Bloodlines.

Keep at it, Obsidian.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

Do not comapre AP to BL. BL was an awesome game, and you besmirch it by satying AP is even close to it in quality. Flawed masterpiece? That's funny. AP is by far Obsidian's worst game. AP's C&C is overrated. It's nothing special. The only C&C AP brings is making a lot of people not want to play any other Obsidian game. If AP was even a quarter as good as BL is, it would at least have been fun.

BL = 82%

AP = 25%

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

AP is by far Obsidian's worst game. AP's C&C is overrated. It's nothing special. The only C&C AP brings is making a lot of people not want to play any other Obsidian game. If AP was even a quarter as good as BL is, it would at least have been fun.

Sozzier than SOZ?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yes. Because SOZ's game play was at least reasoable since it had the rock solid NWN2 game engine and characetr system behind. It was fun making a party. I also played half (more than half?)of it before I got bored. Unlike AP, where it was plainly crap from the start. And, I had to push myself to even play as long as I did. Plus, SOZ is just a rinky dinky expansion anyways.

You're surprised Volourn sucks at extreme basic maths?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You guys need to think deeper. Think about how game reviewers tend to use slanted maths when reviewing where70% or elss = crappy game, and 70-85% = average, and 85%+ = masterpiece. There, is it spelled out enough for you?

I find Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol to be very similar in that they had somewhat clunky gameplay but really interesting story and conversations.

I'd probably give the nod to Bloodlines as I enjoyed their open world aspect, but I did enjoy the consequences of my actions moreso in Alpha Protocol. Some might complain that they didn't like having to accept negative consequences (I loved that the Veteran was occasionally able to do both challenges because he's just that badass), but I enjoyed having to actually make a choice.

I find Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol to be very similar in that they had somewhat clunky gameplay but really interesting story and conversations.

I'd probably give the nod to Bloodlines as I enjoyed their open world aspect, but I did enjoy the consequences of my actions moreso in Alpha Protocol. Some might complain that they didn't like having to accept negative consequences (I loved that the Veteran was occasionally able to do both challenges because he's just that badass), but I enjoyed having to actually make a choice.

Please don't compare AP to VTMB. Ever. :thumbsup:

VTMB:

9/10

AP:

6.5/10

Stop it.

Stop it.

Someone has a different opinion than you and all you can come up with are review scores? Oh noeeeeez.

Because if we go that way i have here some review scores from local gaming magazines. And it looks quite different....

(I myself value both games around the same)

Edited by C2B

Please don't compare AP to VTMB. Ever. :lol:

VTMB:

9/10

AP:

6.5/10

Stop it.

I'll happily compare two games. Especially when I find the style of said games remind me very much of each other. And this is a compliment to both games.

Sorry AP is not your cup of tea. Too bad for all of us that Bloodlines was a giant bomb financially. Shows what those review scores mean I guess.

Sorry AP is not your cup of tea. Too bad for all of us that Bloodlines was a giant bomb financially. Shows what those review scores mean I guess.

Well, AP bombed too. So, not that good an argument.

Also I just looked up the V:B scores.

He pulled that out of a random review probably. Metacritic has it only at 80 and that's probably including favorable retro-reviews.

(That doesn't mean of course that V:B wasn't deserving of a near 90s score in several aspects.)

Edited by C2B

Also I just looked up the V:B scores.

He pulled that out of a random review probably. Metacritic has it only at 80 and that's probably including favorable retro-reviews.

(That doesn't mean of course that V:B wasn't deserving of a near 90s score in several aspects.)

Those were my personal scores. I could care less what review sites said.

Edited by Cogar66

Those were my personal scores. I could care less what review sites said.

So, you're argument to ban others for comparing games is basically that it doesn't vibe with your own personal opinion score?

Yeah, yeah.... That makes sense.

I remember the sales figures being 83,000 for Vampire Bloodlines after a few months. I believe that Alpha Protocol, while not the financial success that Sega (and we all) wanted it to be, trounced Bloodlines in first run sales.

Those were my personal scores.

The comparison was my comparison. It's a favorable one for both games.

I've got no problem putting SS2, DX, Vtm:B and AP in a row on the same list...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee