Long live Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol, for me, was a glorious game. It was a game that took my most beloved gaming genre and transformed it into an action game in the most perfect example to date. Sure, its faults were in the many, and it could've used a few more months in the oven, but honestly, despite all the complaints I've heard across various gaming forums, I have yet to hit any major issues that'd hurt my overall experience with this gem. Many may say Mass Effect 2 perfected the formula. However, I would sincerely disagree with these folks. While a spectacular game in its own right, Mass Effect 2 stripped away the RPG systems that I've come to expect in an RPG. Many also prefer such a streamlined approach. And I would also disagree, because if I merely wanted a shooter with not much depth to speak of, I'd simply play a third-person shooter. And in the end, after my enjoyment with Mass Effect 2 came to an end when I reached its conclusion, that's what it felt like: a third-person shooter. And I have nothing wrong with that, as it provided a nice personal narrative and some good gameplay.

Then I waited a few months after the dust had settled. Alpha Protocol was approaching its release, and from all the pre-release media I had seen, I started to think it was somewhat of a spiritual successor to the original Mass Effect, which I adored. Not in story, not even in gameplay, but in its RPG systems. And once I got my hands on the game, I can easily say that without a doubt that Alpha Protocol delivered in spades. Minor glitches and presentation issues aside, Alpha Protocol gave me an espionage RPG with those systems that I expect out of the genre, but it also gave me an RPG with some true replay value, thanks to so many branching dialogue trees that can shape and shift different events.

So I sit here, saddened by the fact that Alpha Protocol not only flopped in reviews, but it's also flopped in sales. And now, as a fan of this great Action/RPG hybrid, I have to realize that this is the end of its journey. No sequel. No widespread love or recognition. Nothing but my love for this great game exists -- and that, that will never go away.

R.I.P. Alpha Protocol.

Edited by Libertarian

I can agree with a lot of that.. There were flaws, but they didn't interrupt the enjoyment of the game..or its replayability.

Maybe it'll follow in the style of Deus Ex, become a cult thing and get a sequel in a few years time.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Alpha Protocol was okay, it wasn't anything special.

/thread.

;)

Honestly, it was an okay experience, but it wasn't a "ZOMFG CAME IN MY PANTS 10/10". It deserved an 8/10. That said, I feel sad that there won't be a sequel because it would be a chance by Obsidian to fix all the problems they had with it.

Also, Mass Effect 2 was total ****.

Did you really have to drag me into this trhead? Are you that much of a troll that you need to start something in the thread I was purposefully not posting in to allow the pro brigade at least one celebratory peaceful thread?

Trolls always dragging innocent into their messes.

:):p:):x:x:x:x:x:x:x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think that it's such a wasted potential... I find weird that the people here can't seem to admire both ME2 and AP for their respective strong points. Personally, I liked ME2 better, 'cause it delivered in pretty much all fronts (story, action, dialogue, setting, art, etc, etc). But AP kicked a lot of Bioware butt when it comes to the whole consequences stuff, IMO. AP did in one game what ME took two to do: make it feel like the story you're playing is yours, and yours alone. The ending doesn't even change all that much, but you finish the game with the impression that you shaped the whole world of international intrigue, it's awesome.

Now we can just imagine what Obsidian could've done with the knowledge of what they did wrong. Imagining just how polished AP2 could've been is really sad...

Now we can just imagine what Obsidian could've done with the knowledge of what they did wrong. Imagining just how polished AP2 could've been is really sad...

Indeed. It actually took me a long time to try the game because of negative reviews and Obsidian's own thoughts on it, but when I tried it, I absolutely loved it :)

Don't get me wrong, I think the game does lack polish among other things, it's a so-so shooter and all, but I loved the plot, the characters, their interactions... and those were what kept me coming back to the game for more. Besides, even in its reportedly unpolished state, AP looks and plays better than many other games out there. It's a shame Obsidian's giving up on the franchise, I mean, Mass Effect 1 also was a so-so shooter back in the day and all, but Bioware took that and made a great comeback with ME2 (although the RPG part suffered a bit). Obsidian should've done just the same :lol:

Sure, it is buggy and not perfect but

1-A patch can solve a lot of those problem

2-A sequel could improve drastically the quality of game...something like ME:

ME1 was an excellent game, I loved it.

ME2 was an incredible step forward than the first chapter and I'm loving it much more than the first one.

For Alpha Protocol, the Obisidan was unlucky: the critic said the game is crap so the users are frustrated and don't buy the game

(even if they're still buying that "game" called Call of Duty which has in the last chapter 0 more improvements than the first CoD but that's another point).

As I said, both a patch for AP1 and a possible AP2 are a chance for the Obsidian to redeem and show 'us' that they listen to the community, the critics and everything which can improve their work(s?)

However, bye all, I'm gonna sleep since I'm really tired xD

EDIT: And hey: Alpha Protocol has something that 90% of the other RPGs do not have: the nowadays setting...usually they're all placed in the future\in the past and this makes me really sad XD.

AP was an interesting experiment made by courageus developers. It's like the scientists and laboratories: the experiments and the discoveries must be improved and tried more and more times ;).

A possible 'new experiment' would be an Expansion Pack for AP :o

Edited by otreblA_SNAKE_ITA

Alpha Protocol was an amazing game full of fun, the bugs i did not come across any maybe some textures went a bit off for a second and i got 1 freeze through the whole game. I am saddened that there will not be a sequel but i pray that they at least bring out some extra dlc either some missions or even some skins for Thornton. Or I hope modding this games takes off and get some really awesome mods out for it then i would most def buy the pc version.

but yes LONG LIVE ALPHA PROTOCOL the people that gave it bad review especially the guy who gave it a 2 should loose there job/s.

blap london

aaliyah-20071002-319152_V96.jpg

first of all thank you obsidian, have totally loved the game.

the story is great and the mechanics are good but this game could be a post patch classic :D.

most fun I have had in a while.

pity the sales remind me of Vampire: bloodlines.

but again thank you and keep up the good (no make that great) work

This game is innovative in many ways, from the dialogue to the character development. It could have been a great IP if the development continues. Perhaps using other engine, as Havoc used in Assassin's Creed 2 and keeping the same dialogue and else. This is the first RPG where the acquittance to a character is not based on 30 minutes of useless dialogue, the relationships are formed from close to reality conversations, you don't need to spend all the game with a character as a companion to grant her favours. Certainly the combat mechanics are new, you really need to think before to get engage into a fight, and be good with your weapon of choice... I understand why people were frustrated specially with the aiming, while in other games as Borderlands or ME2 you aim and hit, even if you aim close, you hit... not in AP, which is another innovation... I hope all those new innovations would be taken by Obsidian for their new RPG games...

Thank you, Obsidian. Not many people like this game but the ones who like it, they love it...