First screenshots

Shadow over Innsmouth? Cthulhu statue? Rather, the villagers worshipped the Lady of the Lake (whom the statue depicted).

Also, vodyanoi are older than H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, same goes for Dagon (ancient Sumeric water-god).

I didn't say Lovecraft invented Dagon or vodyanoi(it still looks like a myrloc to me...), but as Worst said, the place has quite a few things lifted from Shadow Over Innsmouth and other assorted Cthulhu mythos.

Edited by Purkake

The designers of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning are trying to combine ARPG game-mechanics with the setting in various levels. Likewise, some PnP games have deep backgrounds setting which can help GMs and players build their own sessions/campaign. While there are huge amount of info about settings, there are always rooms left for imagination of their imagination. For example, Glorantha is one of the most detailed setting with systematizing various religions from different cultures. Indeed, there is plenty of ripoffs from existing cultures but the knowledge of the staff is not comparable with that of any other group. In fact, if you find which setting is which culture, you must be pretty knowledgeable in histories, mythologies and religions. It is not a surprise that Ken Rolston worked on Rune Quest, whose major setting was Glorantha, since I think he is one of a few people who carry this DNA from PnP world to CRPG realm.

Of course, some people are just O.K. with slaying "monsters" and collecting phat loot but, personally, I'd like to see the setting/stories/characters that have more depth if the players try to look into. Here, I'm not even trying to argue that the content is more important than game-play but they can complement each other.

Shadow over Innsmouth? Cthulhu statue? Rather, the villagers worshipped the Lady of the Lake (whom the statue depicted).

Also, vodyanoi are older than H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, same goes for Dagon (ancient Sumeric water-god).

IIRC, there are friendly vodyanoi group and hostile one. Friendly one worshiped the Lady of the Lake. Fairly put, Lavecraft "used" existing mythologies and folklore to build his/their setting and CD Projekt (Sapkowski) did the same thing, too. In fact, could we even imagine a setting which doesn't have any similarity from anything in our world? You could even blame Romans for "ripping off" Greek mythology. :lol: BTW, yes, Glorantha had heavy ripoff from Cthulhu mythos. The image below is totally irrelevant to the topic but it's cute. :huh:

my_little_cthulhu_victims.jpg

We will have more media out before too long that will give you guys a better look at the visual quality of the game. I would hold out your judgement until you've seen the game in motion!

Too late, once someone says "looks like PS2 game" you can't take it back :(

Personally I'm more intrested about the game mechanics, story elements, characters and gameplay. Good graphics are only a added bonus :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

We will have more media out before too long that will give you guys a better look at the visual quality of the game. I would hold out your judgement until you've seen the game in motion!

Too late, once someone says "looks like PS2 game" you can't take it back :(

You know that the only one saying that was actually defending the game graphics right?

That said, I'm interesting to see what you've (as in Nathaniel/Obsidian, not Flouride) have done with the animations.

That said, I'm interesting to see what you've (as in Nathaniel/Obsidian, not Flouride) have done with the animations.

Yeah, in terms of graphical peeks, screenshots are great and all, but I'm waiting for some video, which we'll hopefully get at some point. :(

Personally I'm more intrested about the game mechanics, story elements, characters and gameplay. Good graphics are only a added bonus :)

This too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know that the only one saying that was actually defending the game graphics right?

Wasn't it said by someone on some other site according to Oner. Either way, I was referring to that, not to any user on Obsidian boards.

Hate the living, love the dead.

• 3 weeks later...
Good stuff :)

I love the art direction.

normal-looking weapons FTW!

Though it seems that guardian stole the sword from Geralt :o.

Love it anyway..

Well, in BG the +1 Greatswords have a similar shape. That is because such types of blade and hilt existed during the middle ages and appear in other games as well. You just gotta keep yer senses open.. Hurr...

Edited by The Coordinator

That

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.