First screenshots

At last! We get to see some screenshots on how much it was bragged and exaggerated on those e3 previews..

My opinion:

1) Graphics definitely better than Dragon Age or Dragon Age 2. This come from someone who plays alot of games and a wide variety of them. However, definitely there's still room for improvement. Please include (hi-res texture pack or options like in Sacred 2 for those who really want it.. i'm sure myself for one)

2) I can't make out or tell what is all about on the 1st screenshot.. I only make out that some horned guy way flying up on air?? Hmm

3) Don't really like the vodyanoi concept art though. Seems like it has a shark's head and a small imp body?

All in all.. Obsidian please refine as much as you can especially the textures before releasing the game. Overall graphics better than DA2 for yay :(

First one looks kinda bad, mostly because of the close-up on whatever monster that is. Second one looks great, third one is a bit too zoomed in since obviously the game isn't all that detailed when viewed up close (like any isometric game is).

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

First one looks kinda bad, mostly because of the close-up on whatever monster that is. Second one looks great, third one is a bit too zoomed in since obviously the game isn't all that detailed when viewed up close (like any isometric game is).

The game actually isn't fixed in isometric, you can play it over-the-shoulder.

Screenies look worse than Divinity 2 (and way worse than Flames of Vengeance), but that's not really a competitor.

Hopefully Dungeon Siege III will be more optimized. The demo ran like ... something that runs pretty bad, at least on my rig.

Also, IIRC, Divinity 2 was choke full of loading times.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I like shown environment as well. Also, the way the colors/contrast look vibrant without (imo) giving the impression of being overdone/cartoony. At least in the screenies.

Plus, I think the creature (a Vodyanoi?) in the last pic is really cute. I think I'll call him Piranha-Head. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Plus, I think the creature (a Vodyanoi?) in the last pic is really cute. I think I'll call him Piranha-Head. :shifty:
I just call it Chtulhu-chan.

BTW, why does suddenly everyone know what a Vodyanoi is?

The style seems similar to NWN2.

Yup, looked like an updated version of NWN2 for me.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Plus, I think the creature (a Vodyanoi?) in the last pic is really cute. I think I'll call him Piranha-Head. =]
I just call it Chtulhu-chan.

Because they've specifically mentioned the Vodyanoi as being a monster present in the game in an interview and we have google to check what a Vodyanoi is I guess. :shifty:

Plus, I think the creature (a Vodyanoi?) in the last pic is really cute. I think I'll call him Piranha-Head. =]

I guess the artists stroke the right tone with that one. :shifty:

Well, I have no idea what a Vodyanoi is, but that's pretty much a many-sharp-teeth fish-head on the thing. If that's what a Vodyanoi is supposed to be, then yes, I'd agree.

Edit: The only reason I knew the term outside of this thread was because one website labeled the screenshot as a 'Vodyanoi Cavern.' heh

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There is an aquatic civilization of creatures called "Vodyanoi" in The Witcher, that's probably why many are familiar with the name. I didn't know they were inspired by an actual creature of the slavic folklore however.

Didn't we have vodyanoi in The Witcher? And weren't they like D&D Sahuagin in that?

Vodyanoi is a Russian name for a folk monster common in Eastern Europe. So it makes sense in a polish game, where it actually appears in swaps(although it's weird that it uses Russian name, in Polish it's wodnjak or wodnik, or something similar) The thing in the screens doesn't look like a vodyanoi at all, so I wonder if they named it like that just for a cool name...

Didn't we have vodyanoi in The Witcher? And weren't they like D&D Sahuagin in that?

Vodyanoi is a Russian name for a folk monster common in Eastern Europe. So it makes sense in a polish game, where it actually appears in swaps(although it's weird that it uses Russian name, in Polish it's wodnjak or wodnik, or something similar) The thing in the screens doesn't look like a vodyanoi at all, so I wonder if they named it like that just for a cool name...

Well, except that The Witcher vodyanois are a blatant Deep Ones rip-off, even going so far as worshipping Dagon...

And that they don't look like vodyanois at all. :devil:

I'm by no means an expert on slavic folklore, so I simply searched on wikipedia for seeing how a vodyanoi should look. Feel free to correct me.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Well, except that The Witcher vodyanois are a blatant Deep Ones rip-off, even going so far as worshipping Dagon...

And that they don't look like vodyanois at all. :devil:

Right, but in TW they still share some common themes with the folk monsters, while the DS3 ones don't seem to have anything to do with it.

Also, I always imagined vodyanoi like this: http://ptzonline.ru/uploads/images/1/b/a/6/9/0e595952d1.jpg

Right, but in TW they still share some common themes with the folk monsters, while the DS3 ones don't seem to have anything to do with it.

We know nearly nothing about them for now, it's a bit premature to say that, don't you think? :devil:

Well, it doesn't look like a vodyanoi and it lives in a cave, so I'd say it's enough to assume that its pretty different from the folklore version of the monster. Not that I care that much, tbh. I'll still be whooping its ass:)

If I read ''It looks like a PS2 game'' ONE MORE TIME! I want to kill someone now. I recently played Titan Quest again. It looks gorgeous. If I zoomed in up close, yeah, I could see that the game wasn't that detailed. Still, a modern console would not handle it with settings maxed out and at the resolution I played the game on. Same goes for DS3. Next time someone wants to play a game that looks like Rage or Crysis 2, please feel free to remind them that we're talking about a game where you could have dozens of enemies simultaneously on screen, which means potentially dozens of special abilities going off nearly simultaneously, each one with its own animation and lighting effects. I think that has some pretty heavy requirements. Especially if you want to confine it to the hardware standards of a console, which is the equivalent of a 5 year old PC. And Crysis 2 blows on consoles.

I think the game looks great. I'm sure it looks even better on the PC, if those screenies aren't from the PC version already, and that it will look even better when it finally gets released. That's all I have to say.

What's with all the mythology talk? The vodyanoi is obviously a murloc and the whole village deal in TW was an attempt at a Lovecraftian Shadow Over Innsmouth thing complete with a Cthulhu statue.

Edited by Purkake

Shadow over Innsmouth? Cthulhu statue? Rather, the villagers worshipped the Lady of the Lake (whom the statue depicted).

Also, vodyanoi are older than H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, same goes for Dagon (ancient Sumeric water-god).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Shadow over Innsmouth? Cthulhu statue? Rather, the villagers worshipped the Lady of the Lake (whom the statue depicted).

Also, vodyanoi are older than H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, same goes for Dagon (ancient Sumeric water-god).

Except that the references to Lovecraft were really blatant.