How about random dungeons?

I would love see obsidian add some random dungeons for multiplayer. I'm tired of the same old 16 to 20 hour experience. Add some random dungeons for replayability with friends. I haven't played the previous DS games, but the current standard game length isn't that long.

I agree. Randomly generated dungeons would be nice, but only as an extra. The main areas should all be uniquely crafted.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

No,no and no!What will be the sense for fan to make own dungeons if they can get new again and again?But these "new' will be just random territories with couple of monsters for level up..without atmospheere.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd trade the random dungeons bit for a toolset. A toolset is a far better choice imho. :lol:

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd trade the random dungeons bit for a toolset. A toolset is a far better choice imho. :shifty:

Considering they will not release a tool set for the console version, I think random dungeons would be a good idea. Either that or let the console people download the pc mods.

• 2 weeks later...

No thanks. Even though random dungeons aren't that bad nowadays (Torchlight has very nicely filled and skinned random dungeons), it indeed kills the atmosphere. The game is called Dungeon Siege, so it would make more sense to have pre-designed large rich-filled atmospheric dungeons. Random dungeons don't add that much online gameplay, I remember Diablo 2 having that feature, but the dungeons still felt the same every time. Just a different path to walk, thats all.

So: No random dungeons please!

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Considering they will not release a tool set for the console version, I think random dungeons would be a good idea. Either that or let the console people download the pc mods.

Well, if they do release a toolset, it could include the option to cook mods for the PS3 as well. Kind of like Epic did for Unreal Tournament 3. The problem is Microsoft has some restrictions as far as user-created content goes, so I'm pretty sure mods are out of the question for Xbox no matter what (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

That said, if the toolset doesn't happen, having randomly generated dungeons would be nice, but like I said earlier, only for side-quests. The MAIN areas should definitely feel as unique as possible, so being randomly generated is not an option.

Edited by fastpunk

That said, if the toolset doesn't happen, having randomly generated dungeons would be nice, but like I said earlier, only for side-quests.

I remember I liked the semi-random aspect to Diablo1's campaign side quests. Several sets of quests available but you couldn't get all of them in one game. But that was in single-player. In multiplayer it was always the same few, just the boss monster could be in a different spot on the map each time.

I used to like random level maze designs when levels were smaller, but after being annoyed with Diablo2's Flayer Jungle one too many times-trying to get past it as fast as possible, made slower by figuring out which 'map' version you had- I decided they didn't add much.

No,no and no!What will be the sense for fan to make own dungeons if they can get new again and again?But these "new' will be just random territories with couple of monsters for level up..without atmospheere.

Random in games such as these aren't typically 'new over & over again', at least in my experience. It's more a number of set map patterns that the game randomly switches between. If you play the game a lot, you become familiar with them all before long, and thus fan-made designs are still appealing...especially if the mods are interesting in other aspects as well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That said, if the toolset doesn't happen, having randomly generated dungeons would be nice, but like I said earlier, only for side-quests.

I remember I liked the semi-random aspect to Diablo1's campaign side quests. Several sets of quests available but you couldn't get all of them in one game. But that was in single-player. In multiplayer it was always the same few, just the boss monster could be in a different spot on the map each time.

I used to like random level maze designs when levels were smaller, but after being annoyed with Diablo2's Flayer Jungle one too many times-trying to get past it as fast as possible, made slower by figuring out which 'map' version you had- I decided they didn't add much.

Random in games such as these aren't typically 'new over & over again', at least in my experience. It's more a number of set map patterns that the game randomly switches between. If you play the game a lot, you become familiar with them all before long, and thus fan-made designs are still appealing...especially if the mods are interesting in other aspects as well.

I enjoy random dungeons, even if you end up memorizing the general trends after awhile (like oh, I get this tileset this time instead of that one), it still builds a nice dynamic between them for generic stuff. However, if it's like Diablo's Flayer Jungle...that DID get annoying. Most times in MP you just jump past it via someone's waypoint and ignore it...it was truly annoying. So random Dungeons yes...but done more in the style of the original Diablo or the other Diablo 2 levels...but definately NOT like the Flayer Jungle.

I would say... no.

Random generated mission or monstergroups would suit MP play though.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I agree. Randomly generated dungeons would be nice, but only as an extra. The main areas should all be uniquely crafted.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Certain Dungeon class areas that generate randomly. Wouldn't be too hard to code... you don't even really need a random topography maker, just a flat floor in a few different tastes plus some objects to random about. It would encourage a lot of players and activities :p

I think this sums it up pretty well. Certain Dungeon class areas that generate randomly. Wouldn't be too hard to code... you don't even really need a random topography maker, just a flat floor in a few different tastes plus some objects to random about. It would encourage a lot of players and activities :p

Exactly! If this game plays like Diablo or Torchlight, random dungeons are a must.

If it plays like Icewind Dale 1, random dungeons don't seem appropriate.