StarCraft 2

Serrano

Question: at anytime was this game going to be sold for $20?

I think so, when they originally announced that it would be three games and not one I believe that they said that the three games would be cheaper.

:ermm:

IIRC they only said this for the two "expansions", and the wording was ~"We plan to sell them cheaper but ultimately it'll depend on production costs". They said at one BlizzCon that they want to make the game as grandiose as they can (in other words, not a few epic missions or many boring ones, but many epic missions). That ought to increase costs.

Storyline is certainly not why I'd play of any of Blizz games.

If Grom's death didn't move you, then you have no soul. Maybe it was moving because it was slick. But that does not make it any less moving. And Arthas' ascent to the Lich King. Oh, you jackass Prince, you are a terrible person, but I can't help but pity...

I was happy when Grom died, because he was so incredibly disappointing. The screaming happy go lucky slaughter Grunt from WarCraft II was turned into some wheezy voiced follower who just "falls off the wagon". What a gyp. WarCraft III was the biggest disappointment ever. To me, anyway. I'd been waiting for it since it was announced because WarCraft II was pretty much my favourite game for much of my youth.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Having played the tutorial I gotta say, they're doing MUCH better at weaving a story than they did in War3. Although it was a little jarring to see the defense mission appear and at the end my air-tight (for the time) defenses all of a suddon have a skillion units inside the perimeter because the cutscene needed it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Am I the only guy who loves RTS games, but hates playing them multiplayer? I even like Skirmish, but hate people.

These days I play RTS singleplayer only. I just don't have skills, the time (to train) or the APM to be any good in multiplayer. Sure, I used to think I was "good" in Dune2, Warcraft or Command and Conquer days, but in reality I was only playing against my friends, who were just worse then me :ermm:

I can (usually) beat computer on hardest difficulty but that don't help at all against human opponents.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

The same thing will probably be true for StarCraft 2 then, because the computer players don't play like human players at all. They barely ever expand, they use the same army compositions, they never go for counters, they insist on mid-game pressure and if you turtle long enough they will eventually run out of resources and you can completely steamroll them. Except for Insane Difficulty, which suffers from The A.I. Is A Cheating Bastard Syndrome and gets extra resources.

I'm going to pass on multiplayer when I get the game. The beta was fun at the beginning when the fights were escalating, later it just turned into trying to guess what the enemy will rush you with.

That's what scouting is for.

EDIT: Not that I don't agree. I have real difficulty countering things properly, if you start with the wrong build you're pretty much doomed. But I suspect the metagame will settle down eventually.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Sure, I'll just spam scanner sweep every 10 seconds.

'Sides, like you said, if the opponent has, say, 6 more units than you counters when s/he attacks, you're ****ed at that point.

And then there's the Zerg "I rebuild my army before you make it halfway across the map".

I was happy when Grom died, because he was so incredibly disappointing. The screaming happy go lucky slaughter Grunt from WarCraft II was turned into some wheezy voiced follower who just "falls off the wagon". What a gyp. WarCraft III was the biggest disappointment ever. To me, anyway. I'd been waiting for it since it was announced because WarCraft II was pretty much my favourite game for much of my youth.

The soul repository just called. They told me that they had my soul, but wondered why I'd never picked it up.

After some confusion, I found out they meant to call you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i too was very disappointed with warcraft 3, a big letdown after part 2 was so awesome. my expectations for starcraft 2 are tempered because of it but i still plan on getting the game today after work is over

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I couldn't contain my excitement, I caved and got a copy... It's good, very good.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I was gonna get a copy off battle.net but the registration process fails for me. >_<

Yeah, mine turned up in my junk mail...

I was just curious...is it still true that you can't do AA w/ATI cards in SC2 but can with nvidia? Obviously forcing AA via the card driver or whatever = a pretty big performance hit on many cards, like the graphs show.

I personally don't care much about AA but just seems like a strange thing/decision by Blizz since they're usually careful to make their games not too demanding to begin with. Do you end up with so many 'things' on-screen in missions that it would bog down even on today's pc's?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The only thing that I don't like thus far in the game is the commentary on current networks. The UNN is a very obvious parody of Fox News (including the line "fair and balanced), and they have SOME news story that is very obviously twisted to paint their bosses (Mengsk et al) as the good guys.

The only thing that I don't like thus far in the game is the commentary on current networks. The UNN is a very obvious parody of Fox News (including the line "fair and balanced), and they have SOME news story that is very obviously twisted to paint their bosses (Mengsk et al) as the good guys.

Okay, you don't like it... But why?

It's not funny because it is true! :shifty:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Because it's out of place. Jokes and such are all well and good but when you make snide political commentary on the current situation of the news media it just gets pretentious. Also, in game, Mengsk is supposed to have a great grasp of publicity and the power of the media, but the "Cover ups" are done so obviously I think that the population that watches have to be drugged not to see it.

Because it's out of place. Jokes and such are all well and good but when you make snide political commentary on the current situation of the news media it just gets pretentious. Also, in game, Mengsk is supposed to have a great grasp of publicity and the power of the media, but the "Cover ups" are done so obviously I think that the population that watches have to be drugged not to see it.

I don't find it pretentious, I find it to be satirical.

That appears to be the whole point.

ok so my fears were unwarranted about this game. its really awesome and feels just like a sequel should imo, better graphics, continues the story, adds tons of new units and options etc (or changes old ones to make them feel new). If they can do this with diablo 3 then i'm going to play that game for a billion hours

its not as big as the leap from warcraft to warcraft 2, but thats ok with me because the game is a hell of a lot more fun than warcraft 3 was at this point. I'm only about 6 hours into the game but it really makes me feel like I did when I first played starcraft back in high school (ie excited and enthusiastic about playing it right when i get home)

i never played starcraft online and I probably wont play this online either, but I am interested in the Challenges and vs AI, maybe even co-op vs AI? certainly not competetive multiplayer though, I play street fighter and I don't have time to get good at two insanely complex games

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.