Project Director interview and CG teaser trailer

http://pc.ign.com/articles/110/1108572p1.html

IGN: Obsidian's always been known for doing a great job of embedding interesting stories into its game worlds, so can you talk about the story surrounding Dungeon Siege III and how much of an integral part of the experience it is?

Rich Taylor: We can't go into story details at this time. We can say that story is every bit as important in Dungeon Siege III as other titles we have developed at Obsidian such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2. The player will be an integral part of the story that unfolds as they progress through the adventure. There will be decisions the player has to make. These choices can impact how your party feels about you or affect the way other characters in the game respond to you. There are times when the player has to make a decision that will make one group or another unhappy, and this will have a long term effect on aspects of the story.

One of the refinements we are making to this system for Dungeon Siege III is that we are having each of these decisions have a short term, mid-term and long term affect on the game. So, you'll see the effects of your decisions constantly as you play through to the end.

Edited by funcroc

There's not much information in this interview, but it's better than nothing. I'm curious just how important the story is, though. And again, they seem to be pushing the choices part. Obsidian have always delivered on that to a certain extent, so that's good to hear.

I'd be real nice to get some sort of story-driven hack & slasher with a great atmosphere. Tell me that doesn't make your brows go like this: :lol:

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I found it interesting how the teaser said "from the makers of Fallout: New Vegas".

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Rich Taylor: The player will be able to make decisions such as what order they want to unlock the abilities for their class as well as which abilities they want to focus on upgrading depending on their preferred play style. If the player focuses on a specific ability, the player can unlock a more powerful version of that ability. They will also be able to search for items that best compliment the way they enjoy playing their class. If a player enjoys being in the front lines engaged in melee combat with the enemies, for example, then they may want to focus on items that give them better defenses or more hit points.
This bit is kinda sorta interesting if you ask me.

Wow. That teaser was bad. :ermm:

EDIT : No, I mean, really, what the hell? At least show a battle, pump up the expectations a bit. Instead we get.. hum... tree roots?

I would imagine such trailers will be released closer to the release date, or as an actual game trailer not as a teaser.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I would imagine such trailers will be released closer to the release date, or as an actual game trailer not as a teaser.
*cough*Deus Ex 3*cough*

Not even the tree branch was as detailed as anything in DX' teaser. Or DX just hid it better.

*cough*Deus Ex 3*cough*

Not even the tree branch was as detailed as anything in DX' teaser. Or DX just hid it better.

Well the GDC 2010 teaser trailer for Deus Ex 3 isn't very spectacular either. Didn't bother to watch the actual trailer from E3.

Hate the living, love the dead.

In fact, this is the E3 teaser trailer shown off on a really big screen at Square Enix booth a month ago.

So THAT'S why those tree roots were so familiar.

EDIT : So we've got a confirmed monster by the way, Vodyanoi. Are they going to pick up more from slavic mythology?

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

There's not much information in this interview, but it's better than nothing. I'm curious just how important the story is, though. And again, they seem to be pushing the choices part. Obsidian have always delivered on that to a certain extent, so that's good to hear.

I'd be real nice to get some sort of story-driven hack & slasher with a great atmosphere. Tell me that doesn't make your brows go like this: :ermm:

I believe that's what they are trying to do in DSIII. There are many CRPG companies but, as far as I know, there are almost no companies which try to let the personalities of the players reflect to the story/character development to the level of Obsidian. As long as Obsidian keep this part, I'd keep an eye on their role-playing games even if the game-play may not be entirely my cup of tea.

So we've got a confirmed monster by the way, Vodyanoi. Are they going to pick up more from slavic mythology?
To be honest, I didn't know this one till I play the Witcher. They may be just trying to increase the variety but I'd like to see a solid and atmospheric world setting, considering Mask of the Betrayer.

So we've got a confirmed monster by the way, Vodyanoi. Are they going to pick up more from slavic mythology?
To be honest, I didn't know this one till I play the Witcher. They may be just trying to increase the variety but I'd like to see a solid and atmospheric world setting, considering Mask of the Betrayer.

It's Georg Ziets behind this. I doubt he would just try to go for variety without some consistency.

It's Georg Ziets behind this. I doubt he would just try to go for variety without some consistency.
That's what I hope but Slavic mythology itself seems to be based on folklore which rather lack consistency. It worked for the Witcher for building the unique atmosphere, though.

Ziets researched a lot of Slavic stuff for MotB so I guess it makes sense for some of that to bleed over into DS3 as well. Not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned as I tend to like the texture that gives fantasy settings. I adored the settings in both MotB and the Witcher.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Ziets researched a lot of Slavic stuff for MotB so I guess it makes sense for some of that to bleed over into DS3 as well. Not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned as I tend to like the texture that gives fantasy settings. I adored the settings in both MotB and the Witcher.
You are right.
I think that was my first realization on MotB. To craft a story that I

*cough*Deus Ex 3*cough*

Well the GDC 2010 teaser trailer for Deus Ex 3 isn't very spectacular either. Didn't bother to watch the actual trailer from E3.

Yeah, look at those rectangular hands and textures-on-the-table operating items.