Did Trans-Ocean turn off the safeties?

Walsingham

Article

But on Friday, Transocean issued a statement insisting that switching off the main alarm had not jeopardised safety on the rig as there were

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not sure if I understand all the intercompany relationships correctly, but the rig was owned by Trans-Ocean, using at least in part equipment made by Haliburton (sp?) and leased and operated by BP.

If you start fiddling with the checks and balances, you can create more "throughput" and make the site appear more valueable when you determine what the operator has to pay for leasing it.

Edit: One "conspiracy" scenario would be something along the lines of substandard equipment, an operator that ignores the smaller warning signs trusting in the big whistle to alert them to serious danger, except that it has been disabled by the owner because "it already had a lot of small alarm bells" and the combined greed of everybody involved leads to disaster.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A conspiracy by whom? To get more money from whom? Serious questions, because I didn't understand your post.

Oh, I was just screwing around; In any case, this looks like a simple screw-up resulting in minor punishment.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk