Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

funcroc

"It kind of helps that R.A. and Todd don't build games -- that's a bit of an advantage for us doing the ground level stuff, because they look at problems differently. As game developers, we kind of expect problems, and when we run into hurdles, we just go, 'Oh, we can't do that because of tech reasons.' And they don't do that. Todd, for example, would look at an animation and ask, 'Why doesn't it do this?' The animators would reply, 'Well, that's not what we normally do.' He'd then go, "Ah, that's bulls---; we should try something new for this.' So he brings a new perspective, and so does R.A. when it comes to story mechanics. Here's a guy with 10,000 years mapped out, so whenever we have a question about the story, we can just call him up and see what pops out of his mind."

Yes, indeed, at times, I feel the designers must be seeing things differently. Putting individuals who are ignorant of game-development while allowing a certain influence on the process would be a step forward, although their personal views, again, may be different from the targets...

The style is not my cup of tea, neither but I knew the project even from it was revived by the intervention of 38 Studios. Thumb-sore action game-play is not my cup of tea, either. So, it all depends on the world, the stories and some slow-paced PnP factors, to me, I guess.

"Through a glimpse at the game

Judging from the trailer, it looks like this game is heading into Sacred 2 over-the-topness.

You know what? I don't think that's bad. It's just that I don't think the human character design in the screenshots fits. It's just.. not stylized enough. Give him a more comic book like look, and it'll be much better.

That's an interesting combination. Different personalities represent various frames: Schilling offering a view of an average (?) MMO player, Rolston goes for his environmental story-telling, letting the players to "discover" the world, Salvatore trying to make unified background stories/settings connected to the game-play, while McFarlane overview more direct graphic related game-experience. It's interesting to hear these people interacting but, as usual to this kind of ambitious project, I hope they would manage to release the game. :p

• 7 months later...

On the one hand at least it's a SP PC role-playing game. And the people behind it are clearly putting some thought to it.

On the other, it looks so cartoony and vanilla. If I see another over-sized anime-influenced sword I'm going to retch.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Read a bit of the FAQ on their website. Ran across the following words within short order: Visceral, Epic, Action Combat. Didn't read the rest :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

halfway between diablo and morrowblivion eh?

sounds interesting enough i guess, but its all in the execution.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.