Alien Swarm

taviow

Already got it, it's pretty fun. Some of my friends are getting tons of crashes though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before someone recreates the movie Aliens with the SDK.

Dominic White over at the RPS boards;

And here’s something mindblowing: The game has a tile-based mission editor. You string together rooms to make missions, assign objectives, and (if needed) polish up in Hammer afterwards, but creating levels looks to be ridiculously fast and easy.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_TileGen

There will be hundreds more levels out within a month.

Here is something of mindblowing importance:

There is an in-game editor which can randomly generate missions.

In Steam Tools, install the Alien Swarm SDK.

Run the game as normal.

Activate the console.

Open it.

Type ‘SV_Cheats 1′

Type ‘ASW_tilegen’

There you go. One level editor. I just tested it. Without hyperbole, it took me three minutes to generate and compile a whole new level from scratch. And then I was playing it. And died really quickly because there were no bots to help me, but whatever, it WORKS.

I repeat: THIS GAME HAS A RANDOM MISSION GENERATOR AND IN-GAME EDITOR. The number of missions is officially infinite without ever touching Hammer. Have fun.

I’m fairly sure it’s because I just don’t know how to add bots. Although they may need navigation meshes generated.

Either way, here’s the full guide on using the Tilegen editor:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_TileGen

Apparently you can invite friends straight to generated levels, and it’ll send them the raw generation data so that they can compile it on their end (took me about two minutes to compile a decently sized level), saving you trying to upload the whole map to each of them.

Edited by Serrano

I downloaded it, had massive amounts of trouble find a game to play without being disconnected. Finally got into one game, i was the medic, the officer and heavy weapons guy leaves the tech guy and me behind, and despite my efforts the tech guy gets killed and we lose. Then i disconnected. Maybe another day i will have a functioning group and have more fun.

Tips: (Also known as things you can figure out in 5 minutes of offline practice, so why don't you know them at level 5?)

There is a yellow triangle on your map. That is your destination.

Reloading discards unused ammo in the magazine.

The sentry is not your primary weapon, stop carrying it around and trying to set it down at every opportunity.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Almost got to the end of the campaign on easy, damn this game is insanely hard.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Very fun game, playing with my friends reminds me of Natural Selection back in 02-03. Game freezes up for 5-6 seconds for me every now and then, might be due to my alt-tabbing once, haven't seen others complain so probably local to me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If anyone wants to play just add me: "WILLTHEALMIGHTY". I don't have any of the good equipment so far, but I'm an okay shooter.

I hate that, I actually need to buy a game on steam to just add friends. It's silly and I don't see the point.

now you can take advantage of their ridiculously awesome annual holiday sale too.

steam = good prices (provided you have patience to wait for sale prices)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I believe the reason for needing games is to avoid those people who create accounts and add random people and spam those "CLICK HERE FOR FREE GAMES" messages, and then you end up getting your account stolen.

Anyways there really are ways to get a few free games on Steam so you can add your friends.

For Nvidia users: http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/#

For ATI users: http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/

Mhm, I can't add friends unless I have a registered game on Steam. Great job Valve. :) (No, I don't care that the average user has a gazilion games.)

It's solely to prevent spam bots.

You can add a game demo or a free game to your account (Alien Swarm) and it should be fine.

Mhm, I can't add friends unless I have a registered game on Steam. Great job Valve. :) (No, I don't care that the average user has a gazilion games.)

You can add a game demo or a free game to your account (Alien Swarm) and it should be fine.

Alien Swarm was added from the get-go, but I added FO and LoL and I still can't add friends. Edited by Oner

Alien Swarm was added from the get-go, but I added FO and LoL and I still can't add friends.

You have to add Steam games, Non-Steam doesn't work. See the links I posted. You don't have to install them, they just have to be idle on your list.

Edited by taviow