Wheel of Time?

lobotomy42

Safe to assume that is not the "unannounced project"?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hmm... does internal project mean it's an IP of their own, or could it just aswell be something someone hired them for? Say Bioware hiring them to make an DA: O expansion? (Wich really would'nt surprise me.)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hmm... does internal project mean it's an IP of their own, or could it just aswell be something someone hired them for? Say Bioware hiring them to make an DA: O expansion? (Wich really would'nt surprise me.)

At this point it's difficult to say, since I'm not really sure what the game industry terminology is and there isn't much context.

(My) speculation is that it's a low budget, probably 2d, game that will be distributed through direct download / Live Arcade / PSN services instead of retail, kinda like DeathSpank, since the team is apparently small enough and they seem to be hiring a flash animator (yeah, the logic here is wonky on my part :) ).

Again, until they announce something it's all speculation at this point.

Feargus talked about a "private, internal product" and he mentioned that only "half a time" is working on it, so I'm guessing it's a relatively small-scale product that is more "personal" than working on someone else's IP, or even than working on an original IP for a publisher.

(My) speculation is that it's a low budget, probably 2d

I have my doubts about the "2D" part, an internal product is more ikely to be made with their own technology, Onyx in this case. Probably a "light" version of it, but still...

Edited by Sannom

Well, if 'WUN's' speculations are correct, I do hope there will be some way to get hands on some sort of retail piece. Don't have a credit-card. *sad face*

That said, I like speculating, makes living fun. :)

Onyx was the AP engine, right?

AP used Unreal Engine 3.

With all its jaggies and problems, not to mention that it wasn't really used all that well.

As for Onyx, we still haven't seen it in action, excluding a couple of pre-alpha leaked Aliens screen (and they certainly continued developing it after that game was canceled), but the reaction to the visuals of the preview was impressively positive, especially considering Obsidian's previous track record.

Onyx was the AP engine, right?
Aliens and Dungeon Siege 3. AP used Unreal Engine 3.

Yes, ofcourse - knew that, just missed the 'v'. >_>'

And yeah, saw that video I think - Dark, Blurry and low quality recording right? Like cellphonecamera quality?

Ah, yes, that's it! :)

I was neither impressed or disapointed in what I saw, I thought mostly the gameplay looked quite like a shooter.

Feargus talked about a "private, internal product" and he mentioned that only "half a time" is working on it, so I'm guessing it's a relatively small-scale product that is more "personal" than working on someone else's IP, or even than working on an original IP for a publisher.

(My) speculation is that it's a low budget, probably 2d

I have my doubts about the "2D" part, an internal product is more ikely to be made with their own technology, Onyx in this case. Probably a "light" version of it, but still...

That's pretty similar interpretation at my end. WorstUsernameEver has probably gotten it from the job opening description for flash artist intern.
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a new intern with Flash animation experience. This person should be comfortable creating characters, environments and effects in 2D, and have a basic understanding of classic animation techniques. Some knowledge of Actionscript (2.0 or 3.0) preferred.

Of course all of these are just speculations but it's not just Feargus who mentioned flash or web-based smaller projects. Please read this interview to Greg Zeschuk at Eurogamer.

When you look at that space the traditional stuff doesn't work the same. Not meaning to disparage the guys in that space, but the folks that are doing browser games, smaller-scale MMO stuff, it's not super-rich content, super-detailed, incredibly heavy duty. It has to be specifically really light. Your download speed is more important than graphics. It's a paradigm shift. That's why you need to have these little mini teams that have a different perspective than the overall ones.
Of course, we don't know how the future will turn out but, at the moment, it would be non-brainier to make a certain moves to the direction, especially when there are supposed to be plenty of rooms for original ideas compared with "giant" projects. There is no wonder if some designers see their ideas crashed by the previous paradigm shift to consoles may find their places. Personally, I'm bit surprised by seeing that even Zeschuk felt uneasy with their "giant" projects, though.

Yeah, I remember wanting to point out that little snippet when the interview first came out : it was good news AND it clarified Obsidian's involvement in that project :shifty:

But it feels there is some room for "disaster" in that deal. Notably the fact that Red Eagle Entertainment doesn't have the funds right now, will they have it when Obsidian finally has the man power to launch another full project? Timing may be an issue there...

Yeah, I remember wanting to point out that little snippet when the interview first came out : it was good news AND it clarified Obsidian's involvement in that project :shifty:

But it feels there is some room for "disaster" in that deal. Notably the fact that Red Eagle Entertainment doesn't have the funds right now, will they have it when Obsidian finally has the man power to launch another full project? Timing may be an issue there...

Well, Feargus will probably take that into consideration, and they've probably discussed it with Red Eagle.

Now, when it comes to funding.. let's admit it, it doesn't sound very promising, the whole 'announced the deal when we actually don't have the funds'.

Now, when it comes to funding.. let's admit it, it doesn't sound very promising, the whole 'announced the deal when we actually don't have the funds'.
And I thought that's the reason why the original topic had quickly shifted into speculations over (the) other possible project(s). No fund, no game. Since, generally speaking, expected sales decide the size of the projects, which is why we deduced that the "internal" project must be smaller in its size.

Well, Feargus will probably take that into consideration, and they've probably discussed it with Red Eagle.

They've been sitting on those license rights for some time now. Rober Jordan (R.I.P) was quite pissed off at the Red Eagle people since they weren't doing anything with the license.

Maybe part of their master plan to create funding was to announce that Obsidian would be working on the game...

Hate the living, love the dead.