NSFW: The end of Mel Gibson's career (thank non-extant gods)

Humodour

I believe what LadyCrimson is trying to say is that while yes, there are normal, well-adjusted people in Hollywood, people who want to be actors have to accept the possibility of fame/near-worship and constant media attention. Some will decide to go into the business of acting despite that, while others consider it another draw. At least some of this latter group are driven to seek attention. It is not that there are no normal actors, it is simply that there is a higher ratio of borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personalities in the acting community compared to the general population. These people either seek constant reinforcement of their identities or psychologically need to be the center of attention. Given that, they are drawn to positions with public exposure and due to other character/personality faults are more likely to fall into harmful behavior such as drugs, etc. if only for the attention they get. The culture of Hollywood does not help.

Thanks, that was what I was trying to say. You said it much better than I ever could. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I believe what LadyCrimson is trying to say is that while yes, there are normal, well-adjusted people in Hollywood, people who want to be actors have to accept the possibility of fame/near-worship and constant media attention. Some will decide to go into the business of acting despite that, while others consider it another draw. At least some of this latter group are driven to seek attention. It is not that there are no normal actors, it is simply that there is a higher ratio of borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personalities in the acting community compared to the general population. These people either seek constant reinforcement of their identities or psychologically need to be the center of attention. Given that, they are drawn to positions with public exposure and due to other character/personality faults are more likely to fall into harmful behavior such as drugs, etc. if only for the attention they get. The culture of Hollywood does not help.

Good point. I lived in a house with actors and actresses many years ago, and they were ALL wankers.

the actors and actresses we has met is, without exception... difficult. we has actual been friends with a few actors/actresses, but am gonna note that we thought they was all damaged or nutty to a lesser or greater degree. not wankers (some were very nice people) but all was kookie.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

does anybody take whoppi serious anymore. she defends polanski's actions as not being "rape-rape" and now she public defends mel's comments. is probable a good example o' why mel's career is not in any real danger. hollywood forgives the silliness of its own very readily.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have to wonder if the recording is legit and not manufactured by his ex bcensored lawyer or his ex-bcensored

there is a reason why we has said that we will never, evar have any involvement in domestic law. the whole scenario is wacky. it is illegal to make such tapes in ca... can't tape without all parties knowledge and permission. 'course oksana (sp?) weren't acting as an agent o' the police at the time she made the recordings, so criminal charges related to threats made in the tapes is still possible. judge warns mel's ex 'bout release of tapes. then, tapes is mysteriously leaked, but while mel's ex admits it is her voice on tapes, she denies being involved in the tapes release. and the thing is, this ain't the wackiest custody case stuff we has heard of in the past decade.

the guys who do domestic law is the ones most likely to keeps a gun in their desk drawer.

HA! Good Fun!

Good point. I lived in a house with actors and actresses many years ago, and they were ALL wankers.

the actors and actresses we has met is, without exception... difficult. we has actual been friends with a few actors/actresses, but am gonna note that we thought they was all damaged or nutty to a lesser or greater degree. not wankers (some were very nice people) but all was kookie.

HA! Good Fun!

Rather than actors having various levels of mental instability as you suggest, it's far more likely that the common traits of the personalities acting attracts (extroversion, whimsy, impulsivity, driven by intuition and thirst for new experiences) are simply alien to you by virtue of being antipodal to your own personality traits (which would at a guess be introversion, fastidity, compulsion and a conservative approach to problem solving).

HA! Good Fun!

Rather than actors having various levels of mental instability as you suggest, it's far more likely that the common traits of the personalities acting attracts (extroversion, whimsy, impulsivity, driven by intuition and thirst for new experiences) are simply alien to you by virtue of being antipodal to your own personality traits (which would at a guess be introversion, fastidity, compulsion and a conservative approach to problem solving).

your not-so-clever attempt to get around tigs warning aside, clearly Gromnir lacks whimsy... HA! similar to walsh, our basis for making comments 'bouts actors is based on actual encounters and relationships with such folks. you base your guessings regarding Gromnir on the postings from a gaming board where we post utilizing a contrived persona... that about it?

*chuckle*

am not gonna share our full background, but some folks here is aware o' where we went to school and what we did before law school. compulsion and conservative is 'bout 180 degrees from the mark... though we has been called fastidious by folks who has never seen our home office... or our kitchen when we is cooking. btw, we ain't never met a person who became more creative 'cause they donned a tie-dye t-shirt and got wasted.

again, actors is frequently nice enough folks (our experience with actors ain't quite as dismal as were walsh's and some others in this thread,) but with one exception, all were... difficult. as a matter of fact, an actress friend of ours warned us to never date an actress. her rationale: "we're all insane." she were only partially joking.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

your not-so-clever attempt to get around tigs warning aside

It helps when my post is actually serious and your characterisation of actors and artists as mentally unstable seems genuinely unfair. Perhaps you were simply being facetious. Whatever.

Actors are no more 'unstable' than your tupiocal loser peon.

I'd like to see actual numbers. I bet the percentage of Hollywooders guiltym of scummery isn't unusally high in comparison.

P.S. Gibson is still working on two movies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I love how there's a link to an article titled "Mel Admits Beating, Threatening to Kill Ex" right underneath. Does nobody edit these online newspapers?

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I love how there's a link to an article titled "Mel Admits Beating, Threatening to Kill Ex" right underneath. Does nobody edit these online newspapers?

A friend right after the end of the world cup sent me a link to an online news source that had two articles up, each indicating a different team had won the world cup.

So I think the answer is "Yes, nobody edits these online newspapers."

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A friend right after the end of the world cup sent me a link to an online news source that had two articles up, each indicating a different team had won the world cup.

So I think the answer is "Yes, nobody edits these online newspapers."

It is standard in the news industry to do that for major sporting events, basically they create all the headlines ahead of time, then choose the right one (hopefully) at the last minute and plug in the story.

HA! Good Fun!

You are correct, of course. Damaged is a better description. But many of them hurt others by their damage. Like a backpack with a broken pole.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

HA! Good Fun!

You are correct, of course. Damaged is a better description. But many of them hurt others by their damage. Like a backpack with a broken pole.

You both are stereotyping a group of people because of the interests they share. There are other things to consider here, difference on generation, individual factors, not all actors can be "damaged"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

HA! Good Fun!

You both are stereotyping a group of people because of the interests they share. There are other things to consider here, difference on generation, individual factors, not all actors can be "damaged"

Yeah, they're being naive and ignorant to an extreme.

HA! Good Fun!

you and krez is misreading. Gromnir and walsh is not stereotyping a group o' people 'cause o' shared interest. Gromnir and walsh specific mentions the actors and actresses we personally met, without necessarily making judgment on all actors actresses. is maybe some misunderstanding regarding the meaning o' stereotype? perhaps you is assuming that we stereotype actresses and actors as a whole based on the board comments made, but you clear not have any evidence to support such a position.

HA! Good Fun!

you and krez is misreading. Gromnir and walsh is not stereotyping a group o' people 'cause o' shared interest. Gromnir and walsh specific mentions the actors and actresses we personally met, without necessarily making judgment on all actors actresses. is maybe some misunderstanding regarding the meaning o' stereotype? perhaps you is assuming that we stereotype actresses and actors as a whole based on the board comments made, but you clear not have any evidence to support such a position.

HA! Good Fun!

While talking we are talking about Mel's weird antics followed by a discussion as to why actor's behave kooky. Now you bring to the board that most of the actors you know were a little damaged, so whether you meant it or not you are associating your view on actors as damaged with the cause for all this Hollywood nonsense.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

HA! Good Fun!

While talking we are talking about Mel's weird antics followed by a discussion as to why actor's behave kooky. Now you bring to the board that most of the actors you know were a little damaged, so whether you meant it or not you are associating your view on actors as damaged with the cause for all this Hollywood nonsense.

regardless o' how you see it, the actual statements made are not stereotyping... not in the least. there were no generalizing of a whole based on experience with a few. walsh and Gromnir simply imparted our experiences with a few. Gromnir, for one, never hypothesized the "why" actors is kookie as you suggest. disagree with us if you will, but there is no need to mischaracterize our statements to fit your assumptions and conclusions.

HA! Good Fun!