NSFW: The end of Mel Gibson's career (thank non-extant gods)

Humodour

Mel Gibson reminds me of half of the older men that i have met.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

He might not be crazier than Tom Cruise, but he is almost certainly a much worse person.

Excellent point. Tom Cruise has some very bizarre opinions, but he seems like a generally well-intentioned guy. Mel Gibson seems to be an intolerant bigot.

But he made BraveHeart! :ermm:

Despite everything the man can still make good movies and that's all that matters. At least until he really goes gun-ho, then we'll have the next big Hollywood tragedy and "True Hollywood story" special. Gah this country is sick :ermm:

He's a **** and a bastard. He doesn't deserve your respect or custom.

So you know him beyond the media frenzy? Hollywood is a sick environment, thats the only way I can explain so many people acting so crazy. At least they all deserve the benefit of doubt.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Hollywood is a sick environment, thats the only way I can explain so many people acting so crazy."

Myth. Crazym people exist everywhere, and most Hollywood stars live reasonanly normal lives .. only difference is everything littlem they do good or bad is magnified.

As for Gibson/Cruise. Good actors, and I simply don't care about their eprsonal lives except if Gibson is guilty of being a criminal as opposed to just a scumbag he should face punishment.. unlike the rapist Polanksi.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

only difference is everything littlem they do good or bad is magnified.

Most of these temperamental stars aren't even close to equaling the woman who lived across/down the street from my parents for 10 years.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Hollywood is a sick environment, thats the only way I can explain so many people acting so crazy."

Myth. Crazym people exist everywhere, and most Hollywood stars live reasonanly normal lives .. only difference is everything littlem they do good or bad is magnified.

As for Gibson/Cruise. Good actors, and I simply don't care about their eprsonal lives except if Gibson is guilty of being a criminal as opposed to just a scumbag he should face punishment.. unlike the rapist Polanksi.

So all the stars with drug addictions, dead by overdose, or anorexia are not proof enough. Crazy people exist everywhere but a lot of them seem to congregate around Hollywood. Every Actor's Studio interview has the drug question, or the substance abuse. Most Hollywood stars that live reasonably normal lives live away from Hollywood.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

So all the stars with drug addictions, dead by overdose, or anorexia are not proof enough. Crazy people exist everywhere but a lot of them seem to congregate around Hollywood. Every Actor's Studio interview has the drug question, or the substance abuse. Most Hollywood stars that live reasonably normal lives live away from Hollywood.

I'm not sure it'd be fair/accurate to say it's actually Hollywood/the area's fault per se. It's just where many congregate because it's easier to facilitate their chosen career to live nearby, either all the time or half the year or whatever, than have to constantly get on a plane. Remember a lot of the "Hollywood stars" have more than one residence.

One thing I've theorized on (and it's only late-night ruminating...) is it could have something to do with the personality types that are attracted to that line of work in the first place. Perhaps such personality types are a little more prone to depression, addiction, anger/attention issues, or whatnot, and then on top of that some are...less capable?... of handling the media attention/pressure.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not sure it'd be fair/accurate to say it's actually Hollywood/the area's fault per se. It's just where many congregate because it's easier to facilitate their chosen career to live nearby, either all the time or half the year or whatever, than have to constantly get on a plane. Remember a lot of the "Hollywood stars" have more than one residence.

One thing I've theorized on (and it's only late-night ruminating...) is it could have something to do with the personality types that are attracted to that line of work in the first place. Perhaps such personality types are a little more prone to depression, addiction, anger/attention issues, or whatnot, and then on top of that some are...less capable?... of handling the media attention/pressure.

I think that there is some clarification required, Hollywood as the lifestyle and the environment in which stars live in is different than Hollywood the area. But is on this area where the worse consequences of living in this medium are. Basically, the lack of privacy, the alienation, and the addictiveness of this lifestyle.

Personally I doubt that only one type of personality would be attracted to becoming an actor, specially considering how many different kind of actors are out there.

village_idiot.gif

I think that there is some clarification required, Hollywood as the lifestyle and the environment in which stars live in is different than Hollywood the area. But is on this area where the worse consequences of living in this medium are. Basically, the lack of privacy, the alienation, and the addictiveness of this lifestyle.

Personally I doubt that only one type of personality would be attracted to becoming an actor, specially considering how many different kind of actors are out there.

I didn't mean to imply there was only one type of personality ala Myers Briggs or something, that would be more attracted...it's more a matter of...certain personality traits, or at least the tendency towards such traits being in the forefront more often than the "average" person, perhaps.

I didn't mean to imply there was only one type of personality ala Myers Briggs or something, that would be more attracted...it's more a matter of...certain personality traits, or at least the tendency towards such traits being in the forefront more often than the "average" person, perhaps.

I guess that the only way to test your theory is to completely analyze superstars, but like I said they are too diverse to share a universal trait that compels them to act this way. Is unlikely mainly because not all stars behave the same, the funny thing is that most opinions from stars about the Hollywood medium can be boiled down to a flight/fight response. Those who embrace and those who reject and move away from the scene.

village_idiot.gif

So all the stars with drug addictions, dead by overdose, or anorexia are not proof enough.

I don't think they're proof of anything. Lots of non-stars have drug addictions, die of overdose, or have anorexia.

Krezack covers this. Celebrities do NOT have drug addiction, alcohol abuse, or other crazy antics locked down to them.

Of coruse, we HEAR more about celebrities doing bad 9and good) mroe than the common folk but that's ton be expected.

You simplty aren't gonna read about Joe Blow from down the road beating up his girlfriend in national news even though, trust me, Joe Blow most certainly is beating his girlfriend up. But, you will read about Mel Gibson doing so.

This idea that only the famous do bad things is silly talk. nor does it jive with the real world.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So all the stars with drug addictions, dead by overdose, or anorexia are not proof enough.

I don't think they're proof of anything. Lots of non-stars have drug addictions, die of overdose, or have anorexia.

Would you consider those non-stars addicts as having normal lives? There is a problem if these people who had no previous history of substance abuse gravitate towards it to deal with their issues, what's worse the drugs are readily available to them. Sure, there are a lot of non-star addicts but they are spread out trough the world and their reason for consumption are personal. To see so many people do that around a single place can't be just attributed to them, the environment has an effect on people. Much like if a wrongly convicted felon might turn into an actual felon inside prison, stars react to Hollywood.

village_idiot.gif

Would you consider those non-stars addicts as having normal lives? There is a problem if these people who had no previous history of substance abuse gravitate towards it to deal with their issues, what's worse the drugs are readily available to them. Sure, there are a lot of non-star addicts but they are spread out trough the world and their reason for consumption are personal. To see so many people do that around a single place can't be just attributed to them, the environment has an effect on people. Much like if a wrongly convicted felon might turn into an actual felon inside prison, stars react to Hollywood.

Does anybody know what Orogun is going on about? :ermm:

Something aboust the stars, gravity and Hollywood. Expect real estate prices to plummet :ermm:

Nah, I think he is trying to say that people with a lot of media exposure are an endangered species as far as mental quirks go.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think what he's alluding to is the notion that if you live among animals you start sniffing crotch.

The reverse is true (usually) of living among very disciplined people. I think.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think what he's alluding to is the notion that if you live among animals you start sniffing crotch.

The reverse is true (usually) of living among very disciplined people. I think.

This

village_idiot.gif

I believe what LadyCrimson is trying to say is that while yes, there are normal, well-adjusted people in Hollywood, people who want to be actors have to accept the possibility of fame/near-worship and constant media attention. Some will decide to go into the business of acting despite that, while others consider it another draw. At least some of this latter group are driven to seek attention. It is not that there are no normal actors, it is simply that there is a higher ratio of borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personalities in the acting community compared to the general population. These people either seek constant reinforcement of their identities or psychologically need to be the center of attention. Given that, they are drawn to positions with public exposure and due to other character/personality faults are more likely to fall into harmful behavior such as drugs, etc. if only for the attention they get. The culture of Hollywood does not help.

Edited by Archmonarch

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Gibson is a better director than he was an actor. As long as he keeps making movies I enjoy, i will continue seeing them. I don't care about his personal life.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I believe what LadyCrimson is trying to say is that while yes, there are normal, well-adjusted people in Hollywood, people who want to be actors have to accept the possibility of fame/near-worship and constant media attention. Some will decide to go into the business of acting despite that, while others consider it another draw. At least some of this latter group are driven to seek attention. It is not that there are no normal actors, it is simply that there is a higher ratio of borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personalities in the acting community compared to the general population. These people either seek constant reinforcement of their identities or psychologically need to be the center of attention. Given that, they are drawn to positions with public exposure and due to other character/personality faults are more likely to fall into harmful behavior such as drugs, etc. if only for the attention they get. The culture of Hollywood does not help.

Good point. I lived in a house with actors and actresses many years ago, and they were ALL wankers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

To quote Samuel Clemens...

"America is built on a tilt. Everything loose ends up in California."

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Guest The Architect

I wonder if Mel was always a ****er like this. I would like to think this once very handsome, charismatic, charming guy wasn't always an anti-Semitic, racist (after all he filmed together with Danny Glover), homophobic, chauvinistic conspiracy nut. What the hell happened to him? It's just one of those celebrity stories you wish were not true, because you want to like people like this, but after all his antics - how can any sane person like him? Had he been this crazy in his younger days, he would have been a very dangerous man, as such a high profile popular guy could have pulled a very large following of bigoted cuntheads.

Nevertheless, I'm also on the bandwagon of folks who'll continue to watch his movies since his record so far as a director is impressive.

Good point. I lived in a house with actors and actresses many years ago, and they were ALL wankers.

Or maybe they were just pretending to be, since ye know, it's their job to do things like that. >_<

I know what you mean. I think that's just because Mad Max was a childhood film for me, still one of my favourites.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts