Fallout: New Vegas

It was already posted in this thread a few pages back.

taylor's pre-release comments (some of which is still archived at nma) did not suggest a tangential or limited role... and he clear never expressed any serious concerns 'bout the direction o' the game. heck, his immediate post release comments were in defense o' the game.

He was involved, even if he wasn't directly developing the game.

I was the senior designer on FOT, which basically meant that I checked stuff over for the developer, spent some time concepting stuff, but the primary design (which was very solid, the game just needed more time for tweaking and testing) was handled by Micro Fort
Edited by Ausir

ausir, and fo fans, keep missing a very important point: strict adherence ain't necessarily a good thing. maintain spirit w/o crippling creativity is often a more meaningful approach/goal. the twisted fo fans, who react with over-the-top vulgarity and a nutty preoccupation with their personal notions o' canon is, wacked. we referenced the nutter who complained 'bout the basalisk war droid on the kotor boards? the nutter were Right from a canon pov... the war droid obsidian chose did not match previous depictions. obsidian made a Better version, and lucas approved. unfortunately for the makers o' fo:t, they found out too late that success would only have come with slavish devotion to the dogma o' cain. fo:t were actual a pretty good game (first 2/3rds at least) but fo fans helped kill in spite o' the fact that taylor, the original fo lead, didn't have no real problems with the changes... not til after the game were released and the fo fans did what fo fans is expected to do.

*chuckle*

but bethesda shows up and the caininites learn that a developer trying to make a fo game with mass appeal can ignore the fo bible and the original fo fans and still be ridiculous successful. actuall, we mispoke. the fo fans didn't learn nothing from the fo3 experience.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

FOT's real problem wasn't really lack of adherence to the setting, but the mission design not being very good (there were a few good missions, but a lot of them were pretty bad). Too bad, because the game mechanics had lots of potential. The demo missions were actually better than most of the missions in the actual game.

FOT's real problem wasn't really lack of adherence to the setting, but the mission design not being very good (there were a few good missions, but a lot of them were pretty bad). Too bad, because the game mechanics had lots of potential. The demo missions were actually better than most of the missions in the actual game.

to be fair, much o' the broken mechanics were due to the fact that the developers were relative faithful to special. many broken aspects o' fo:t were more easily exploited in rt as 'posed to tb, but such issues could be avoided simply by avoiding rt.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The original design was TB, but Herve demanded it to be made RT. Also, if the FOT editor allowed for the creation of dialogue trees, it would be THE game for Fallout-related modding.

the knee-jerk demand by publishers for multiplayer and rt hobbled many a good game. 'course, am also gonna concede that given the length o' some fo:t missions, to remain in tb mode for the entire game would force players to endure an excess o' the "soul numbing" quality o' fo tb combat. fergie is the guy who once observed that even the best tb combats could become soul numbing, particularly as such combats dragged on interminably.

toee actually made some very nice improvements to traditional squad-based tb combat. is too bad so many other aspects o' that game and its development were busted... coulda' possibly helped resurrect tb combat in crpgs.

HA! Good Fun!

My only question about New Vegas is if they've fixed Bethesda's pathetic attempt at a third person mode.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

My only question about New Vegas is if they've fixed Bethesda's pathetic attempt at a third person mode.

They've tweaked it. Whether they fixed it or not in your opinion, I don't know.

The big problem with it was the sliding, characters didn't have proper third person animations and the walking just looked weird.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What was wrong with it, except that the animations don't really look that current up close.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What was wrong with it, except that the animations don't really look that current up close.

The angle was completely wrong, meaning that there was a disconnect between where your character was aiming and where the cross hair was. In general, I found it a bit messy.

The angle was completely wrong, meaning that there was a disconnect between where your character was aiming and where the cross hair was. In general, I found it a bit messy.

IIRC that happened in first person, too. If you looked up or down, the cross hair wouldn't move with you the way it should. You had to do a "dry aim" to bring the crosshair in line with where you were looking.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The maps of fallout:tactics were simply too large to make turn based tenable. The toee foks had a bit too much to handle with such a small team and short production schedule. I was shocked when I saw a group photo today... it was only like 10 or so people who worked on toee. No wonder it was lacking in some areas.

Realtime movement when not actively engaged in combat, that then shifts to TB movement when combat begins is a perfectly workable way to make tb combat doable on larger maps.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

REminds me of JA 1.13 and the lame Drassen Counterattack (best cut from a game ever). Basically I end up exploiting bad AI and shooting them all as they come into my doorway.

That counterattack is winnable if you have decent gear, otherwise yeah, it's pretty difficult without exploting the AI. In 1.13, I never took Drassen first because it was so difficult to hold. Just made it town number 3 instead and then had no real problem.