Dragon Age 2

Think he means Briareus.

yes

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There's a lot of really neat small things in that mini campaign. I really REALLY like it, but I guess not everybody would.

Is it tied in at all with the main story?

It's tied with Leliana's personal quest, personality and how she became a nun, but not with the Darkspawn in any way.

With the combat, I might actually prefer the PC evrsion of DA2 unlike DA1 where the console version was vastly supeiror.

WAT.

Pc version was the real deal. Scrolling through all these items in inventory must be a pain with a gamepad. Not to mention in the PC version you also got the top-down view.

Shrug, between the PC and PS3 versions, the only thing that was better on the console was the addition of the "garbage" item quality. You could flag stuff as garbage and then just dump it at the next store. I quite miss it now that I'm on the PC. But apart from that... I'm basically having less performance issues than I did on the PS3 (no frame skipping, a lot less slowdowns after extended sessions). Crashing a bit, apparently audio related and hoping it will get fixed in the new patch coming on monday and also having an annoying issue where graphics get corrupted when loading a new area. Alt-tabbing back and forth generally fixes that, but still rather immersion breaking.

The better party control you get on the PC (especially through the isometric view) makes some fights (the two best examples I can think of are the Spirit Apparatus and Branka) a breeze, while these represent huge difficulty bumps on the console side.

Soo, score PC 1000, PS3 1. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Are all those red-marked areas to be visited in DA2?

Well, it's also basically any place that has been mentioned in the first game + a couple of new ones, so going to all of those might be somewhat... indulgent.

Well, it's also basically any place that has been mentioned in the first game + a couple of new ones, so going to all of those might be somewhat... indulgent.

For a story spanning 10 years though, it could be good to change scenarios so much. I mean, the areas are little already, so at least make them look all unique. Granted, I honestly doubt that we'll visit all those places during the game.

For a story spanning 10 years though, it could be good to change scenarios so much. I mean, the areas are little already, so at least make them look all unique. Granted, I honestly doubt that we'll visit all those places during the game.

True, true. A lot depends on the size of the "flashes" etc. I'm sure we'll see.

Currently 53 hours into my first DAO game on the PC side. Considering I still got quite a bit left, it's pretty impressive for a game these days. Still, I probably could have traded about 5-10 hours of repetitive bits from the recruitment quests...

That's a huge map, with very little of it actually having a description.

I've often wondered why huge areas are created but only bits of them fleshed out, rather than a smaller area but with a higher degree of depth.

It'll be interesting to see how much of those locations will actually be in DA2.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've often wondered why huge areas are created but only bits of them fleshed out, rather than a smaller area but with a higher degree of depth.

EPIC rare happens entirely in the village of Hob or the town o' Swert. you need scope for epic, so regardless o' whether you use all spots on a map, you need a map that can support an epic clash o' persons and armies... 'specially if you envision multiple sequels. no doubt it is better to ere on the side o' caution and does too much map rather than too little... can always open up the "Here There Be Dragons" edges o' the map later.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

'specially if you envision multiple sequels. no doubt it is better to ere on the side o' caution and does too much map rather than too little... can always open up the "Here There Be Dragons" edges o' the map later.

Apart from the traditional "I wanna make the hugest and most encompassingest gameworld" syndrome every DM and apparently Bioware writer suffers from, I think the "franchiseability" is indeed key here.

Also, when you got the "whole" world mapped out in advance, with basic sociopolitical structures for all the areas, it's a major writing aid. (Antivan Crows, Qunari mercs etc.)

Maybe it's the resolution on my monitor, but that doesn't look very good.

If I understand correctly, its a scan of an image printed in a Russian magazine.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maybe it's the resolution on my monitor, but that doesn't look very good.

Well, it's scanned from a russian magazine.

EDIT : Also, info from the same magazine :

1) The article has a description of a magic fatality. "A giant black hand grabs an ogre and squeezes the blood out of him".

2) It also says that DA2 is 3 times longer than DAO(!!!), though I'm almost sure the journalists are mistaken on that part, probably because Bioware told them about the 10-year span of the story. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself will be longer.

3) Matt Goldman, the art director, lists two major inspirations for the new art style.

This picture(for the atmosphere of "a horde of horrible and merciless creatures coming from nowhere"

death.jpg

And this movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050613/

(a more simplified and abstract background to concentrate viewer/player's attention on the characters and important details)

Matt also made a remark that this doesn't mean the whole game will have simple environments like the desert we have seen. Everything is still very detailed, just more stylized.

4) An example of more dynamic combat. When you order an archer to shoot a target, he already has an arrow ready for that so he can act almost instantly instead of pulling the arrow out of the quiver etc.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

3) Matt Goldman, the art director, lists two major inspirations for the new art style.

This picture(for the atmosphere of "a horde of horrible and merciless creatures coming from nowhere"

death.jpg

Pieter Bruegel The Elder's The Triumph of Death.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this info, but there's a new patch out for the original game, Dragon Age: Origins (and Awakenings), patch 1.04. It fixes a great many bugs, both in Origins and Awakenings:

Link to the patch for the PC:

http://social.bioware.com/page/da-patches

Patch 1.04 fixes very many bugs in the game, including that you now longer appear without equipment if you imported a character into Awakenings from Origins.

The patch for Xbox 360 will be out later today, e.g. about the time it'll be morning in North America.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/94/index/3185557

Also, on the Bioblog, there's a podcast where one of Bioware's developers talk with Mark Laidlaw, the Lead Designer for the Dragon Age 2. The thread from the Bioware Social Network

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3182271

No word on the release date for the patch for the PS3 patch, though.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

2) It also says that DA2 is 3 times longer than DAO(!!!), though I'm almost sure the journalists are mistaken on that part, probably because Bioware told them about the 10-year span of the story. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself will be longer.
Man, those dungeons are going to be endless!

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Hopefully it doesn't mean that... Longer dungeons are definitely not something needed.

Dungeon crawls are fine as long as the level and/or encounter design is top notch. If BioWare improves on that, I'm interested.

death.jpg

Massive incline of BioWare.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hopefully it doesn't mean that... Longer dungeons are definitely not something needed.

Yeah, but that would require Bioware to be creative. Which we all know is strictly forbidden by their corporate charter.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Can't wait to clear endless caverns of same old mobs over and over again! But at least the game is longer :sorcerer:

Hate the living, love the dead.