Dragon Age 2

So that discussion isn't taking up all of the "Random" thread, thought I'd start a thread just for DA2.

What we know:

1. You play as Hawke, a human refugee from a Blight (http://dragonage.bioware.com/ under News).

2. Hawke can be male or female (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3052363%26lf%3D8#3052619).

3. Story is to cover a decade and is more personal, as it focuses on the hero's journey (http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/).

4. Not set in Ferelden.

What is being hypothesized:

1. Story may take place in Nevarra, or the Free Marches (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3052373)

Is Hawke Morrigan's child?

3. Hawke may be fully voiced.

Edited by deganawida

Unlikely, unless there has been another blight between DA & DA2.

Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

I'm getting an ARPG vibe from comments like this.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

2. Hawke is fully-voiced.

Is it confirmed, or it's just a guess?

While I'm sure it will be so, I'd like to hear a confirmation before going spread information that may or may not be correct.

Heh, honestly, there's too little information to even speculate about that.

Honestly, I'd prefer if he/she wasn't, since it would make that choice in Dragon Age the 'canon' one.

2. Hawke is fully-voiced.

Is it confirmed, or it's just a guess?

While I'm sure it will be so, I'd like to hear a confirmation before going spread information that may or may not be correct.

Hmm, good point. I was sure that I saw some post by Priestly about it somewhere, but now I can find it. I'll move it to hypotheses.

Heh, honestly, there's too little information to even speculate about that.

Honestly, I'd prefer if he/she wasn't, since it would make that choice in Dragon Age the 'canon' one.

True. Not a fan of that choice, should it actually prove to be the case. Would much rather have Hawke have his/her greatness come from within than from a standard fantasy device.

I know I'm going on a tangent, but I found the concept art underwhelming.

They just look so.. cartoonish.

I doubt that's any indication of the style of the game, considering the differences between Dragon Age's concept arts and the final product, but still... it bugs me, somehow. :o

I know I'm going on a tangent, but I found the concept art underwhelming.

They just look so.. cartoonish.

I doubt that's any indication of the style of the game, considering the differences between Dragon Age's concept arts and the final product, but still... it bugs me, somehow. :o

Let's hope it's not the new art style they're talking about.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

One of the big complaints about DAO was that it's art style was too generic. Could be hoping for a more distinct art style and hence where some of the concept art ideas come from. I suspect the characters will still look more real than that concept art though.

If "better games" means games more liked by the mainstream, I don't want OEI to succeed I suppose. I'm selfish like that.

And wow, having a pre-determined human character for DA just kicked down my interest several notches. A lot of the beauty of DA was creating a character, especially with how they set up the Origins and races. Essentially, the old-school roleplaying injected with next-gen budgets. I had hoped they would expand on that but this just sounds like a step towards the ME style. Hoping they have something up their sleeve but I'll be skeptical for now. :shifty:

The character could still have different origins to choose from.

Voiced protagonist.

With another incredibly bad voice actor as in Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol?

1: AP VA was great.

2: Yay, my character won't feel like a retarded mute! Wohoo!

...If I get the game.

I'm honored, but that doesn't get you off the hook for not liking voiced PCs. State your reasons.

It's not that I don't like voiced protagonists, it's that :

1) I like variety in my RPGs, and not having a voiced protagonist gives you a lot more variety when it comes for the player to define its character, dialogue options etc. You don't have that kind of freedom with voiced dialogues.

2) Poor voice acted dialogues can RUIN a game for some. EngShepard is almost unbearable for me (the italian voice actor in Mass Effect was good, the one in ME2, not so much, judging by the demo). Michael Thorton sounds a bit.. emotionless, especially compared to the other characters in the game.

Hell is Leliana singing nonstop with vuvuzelas in the background.

Well.. the song/music was okay by itself. If you just listen to the soundtrack it's fairly decent. It was just fairly horrible within the game. Mostly because of the really bizarre expressions on everyones faces during that cinematic.... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm honored, but that doesn't get you off the hook for not liking voiced PCs. State your reasons.

It's not that I don't like voiced protagonists, it's that :

1) I like variety in my RPGs, and not having a voiced protagonist gives you a lot more variety when it comes for the player to define its character, dialogue options etc. You don't have that kind of freedom with voiced dialogues.

2) Poor voice acted dialogues can RUIN a game for some. EngShepard is almost unbearable for me (the italian voice actor in Mass Effect was good, the one in ME2, not so much, judging by the demo). Michael Thorton sounds a bit.. emotionless, especially compared to the other characters in the game.

It only gives you more dialogue options of the developer decides to put them in there. On the other hand having to do a voice script makes for a more focused and natural conversation, at least in theory(either way, more natural than getting answers from a dialog vending machine). While it might help you imagine your character sounding whatever you like, in reality your character sounds like a mute :shifty:

I agree that poor voice acting can ruin games, but I don't have any problems with femshep or Thornton and I stay as far away from dubbing as humanly possible.

Looks like we have enough people to form a voiced protagonist defense force. That's good to know, because having a everything but the PC voice acted feels like an anachronism at this point.

Ironically, the best implementation of voiced protagonist I've seen up to this point was when I went into the Veil as Morrigan. The dialogue options gave me the clear intent of what she was about to say, while what she actually said very much matched her personality. Neither ME nor AP have succeeded as well IMO.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan