C&VG: Sega rules out Alpha Protocol sequel

this is a shame. AP was a very flawed game, but it was also a very promising one.

i, for one, was looking forward to a sequel that would iron out the game's more glaring faults.

dumber than a bag of hammers

And no reason it should be not.

Aside from the poor sales and poor reception of the original game?

I was saying that if you feel a need to make a game that is improving aspects of a previous game you made, it can just as well be a sequel than an original title.

I would like to think that designers and programmers always improve upon previous games they made, as it's always a learning experience.

However, the opportunity to do so is often dependent on financing. If Obsidian would like to improve on the model they made with Alpha Protocol, it's more likely that it'll happen with a game not related to the Alpha Protocol franchise.

AP was not rushed. 5 years in development doesn't equal rushed.(unless it's Blizzard)

Wasn't it more like 4 years since no development was being done by Obsidian on the game after Sega pushed back the release date?

Development was still done on the game after the delay (things like inventory comparison screens were added).

UPPPS sorry i made a thread without seeing this ...to me are bad news.

means that the haters and poor reviewers won.

AP is a great game...OBSIDIAN must feel proud of it.

Because ME2 really is the better game? [/sarcasm]

:o

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

AP was not rushed. 5 years in development doesn't equal rushed.(unless it's Blizzard)

Wasn't it more like 4 years since no development was being done by Obsidian on the game after Sega pushed back the release date?

Development was still done on the game after the delay (things like inventory comparison screens were added).

According to some interviews, nope.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I found AP to be quite average in everything else except choice and consequence, but that it did damn well better than any rpg before it. It also felt like your actions had proper consequences instead of just getting good(blue) points or bad(red) points.

I had hoped it would sell better.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Ok Nintendo was a bad example but still my point is that you don't have to buy all their games to be a fanboy. I'll use another example Valve i know people that have just played the half-life series and counterstrike series and will defend Valve to the death because they love the company for making those great games. Same with Bioware they liked Mass series and kotor but never played dragon age or the other games they made."

K. Except, unlike your fictional fanboy, I have heavily criticZed BIo and their games. Heck, go check on threads disucssing ME2 here. I was calling it dumbed down and getting attacked for it. *shrug* Like i said, you have been inflicted by the common internet disease of selective post reading memory. That's cool.

"but that it did damn well better than any rpg before it."

Nah. More than a few RPGs did it better. Including previous Obsidian games. *shrug*

"Because ME2 really is the better game?"

Yes.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Because ME2 really is the better game?"

Yes.

No.

"better" is a poor bias anyway, since people have different wishes. For me 4x AP due to it's replayability easily triump ME2 which was one nice playthrough but I cannot see playing again any time soon (unlike AP).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"For me 4x AP due to it's replayability easily triump ME2 which was one nice playthrough but I cannot see playing again any time soon (unlike AP)."

Awesome. i finished ME2 3 times... I haven't even finished AP (yet) ebcause its story is just so bland. Oh noes, terrorists and conspiracies! Oh noes!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I haven't even finished AP (yet) ebcause its story is just so bland.

Did ME2 even have a story? All I recall was bringing the band together.

Oh, and some stuff with "Harbinger"... now there's one overdone fight.

^

Yes.

So which one do you prefer?

^

ME2 was better overall in terms of quality, gameplay and general enjoyment. The story was pretty non-existent and I didn't really like the do-it-yourself pacing, especially when the story is instilling a sense of urgency. Also the end boss was pretty cringe-worthy.

As for AP, the characters were good, the story was so-so and they did some interesting things with the perks, intel, dossiers and the dynamic mission structure. The gameplay was straight from hell, non-cutscene animations cringeworthy and I especially hate mini-games that don't pause the main game.

In the end, while ME2 was a lot more formulaic and lacking in places, it was obviously a better game overall. I don't particularly want to replay either of them, though.

Edited by Purkake

According to some interviews, nope.

Which interviews are these? Certainly not this one with Matthew Hickman: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Alpha-Proto...ay-134262.shtml

Kotaku also mentions it here

Among other things.

Edited by Thorton_AP

K. Except, unlike your fictional fanboy, I have heavily criticZed BIo and their games. Heck, go check on threads disucssing ME2 here. I was calling it dumbed down and getting attacked for it. *shrug* Like i said, you have been inflicted by the common internet disease of selective post reading memory. That's cool.

Defensive I see, calling me out on what I said as a lie please exit to the steam forums before you call me a liar and i'm not discussing if your a fanboy anymore. I was pointing out the fact that you seem to think that you need to own more than 75% of a companies games to be a fanboys. And guess what fanboys don't have to love everyone of their game 100% , does anyone love a game 100% there can't be improvements, things you would have done differently?

Also i'm sorry I called you a fanboy that wasn't the right word I guess how about "defender of Bioware"....No wait thats no good.....uhhhhhh Oh I got it "one who loves RPGS and hate what bioware has done to ME2 though you still quite enjoyed I see and for Obsidian making AP and failing hard at it(matter of opinion don't hurt me AP lovers)."

And i'm not going to look through your life history about how you really feel about ME2, I used the wrong word I just noticed when someone said something bad someone (not naming that person) would be no AP is worst.

"For me 4x AP due to it's replayability easily triump ME2 which was one nice playthrough but I cannot see playing again any time soon (unlike AP)."

Awesome. i finished ME2 3 times... I haven't even finished AP (yet) ebcause its story is just so bland. Oh noes, terrorists and conspiracies! Oh noes!

Also the two comments above made me remember this

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2693197

a man who made a video about ME2 plot. lol i think it worth a view.

Defensive I see, calling me out on what I said as a lie please exit to the steam forums before you call me a liar and i'm not discussing if your a fanboy anymore. I was pointing out the fact that you seem to think that you need to own more than 75% of a companies games to be a fanboys. And guess what fanboys don't have to love everyone of their game 100% , does anyone love a game 100% there can't be improvements, things you would have done differently?

Also i'm sorry I called you a fanboy that wasn't the right word I guess how about "defender of Bioware"....No wait thats no good.....uhhhhhh Oh I got it "one who loves RPGS and hate what bioware has done to ME2 though you still quite enjoyed I see and for Obsidian making AP and failing hard at it(matter of opinion don't hurt me AP lovers)."

And i'm not going to look through your life history about how you really feel about ME2, I used the wrong word I just noticed when someone said something bad someone (not naming that person) would be no AP is worst.

Also the two comments above made me remember this

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2693197

a man who made a video about ME2 plot. lol i think it worth a view.

Watching that video now. Already crippled by laughter.

This guy is voicing every single criticism I had, and it's very satisfying.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The thread is 10x funnier than the videos :sorcerer:

I glanced at it, saw a flood of angered fanboys, and closed the tab.

BioWare fans are ****ing insufferable.

Edit: Finished watching. He ****s up his analysis a bit at the end (Repears *are* the ships, etc.) and I don't agree with him that there is no reason to blow up the base, but overall it's a fairly good analysis of why ME2's plot is a jumbled mess.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Obsidianites are just apolegetic elitists. :sorcerer:

Bioware has those people who demand weird romance options, delusional fanboys, fanfic writers and probably a few grouchy old vets from when Bioware wasn't reusing the same formula.

And ME2's plot really was terrible. The amount of plot holes is staggering and there isn't any decent antagonist to speak of, which really leaves this void and makes the story a bit dull. I don't think that 6 part plot analysis focuses on the major problems, instead going into definitions about plot/story/whatever, I prefer Shamus Young's plot analysis simply because it points out just how terrible the whole story is.

And Shepherd will always annoy me much, much more than Mike ever will.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Obsidianites are just apolegetic elitists.

I would position myself as cranky grognard.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.