Preserving the savegame for sequels

There have been rumors that if AP is to have sequels, you can keep your build of Thorton and use the file to continue your character in future games, Mass Effect-style. Now, that is all too early to even imagine. However, hypothetically, if it was true, is it even possible? The game doesn't save the result! I watched the credits and it returned to the main screen, and my last save ended up being prior to the final confrontation. I was able to play it again to try out different endings. So, does this mean that hypothetically, AP wouldn't be able to export my character? Because it doesn't seem to record what the ending is.

How does exporting Shepard work for Mass Effect 2?

Edited by Conrad Gray

There have been rumors that if AP is to have sequels, you can keep your build of Thorton and use the file to continue your character in future games, Mass Effect-style. Now, that is all too early to even imagine. However, hypothetically, if it was true, is it even possible? The game doesn't save the result! I watched the credits and it returned to the main screen, and my last save ended up being prior to the final confrontation. I was able to play it again to try out different endings. So, does this mean that hypothetically, AP wouldn't be able to export my character? Because it doesn't seem to record what the ending is.

It's fully possible they never implemented a transfer feature. But transferring data from one game to another isn't the only way to let you continue with the story branch you chose. If there is a sequel, the game could ask you a series of questions before starting, and depending on your answers the game changes. (the major choices that will have an impact on the sequel, like what major characters are dead/alive etc.)

It's fully possible they never implemented a transfer feature. But transferring data from one game to another isn't the only way to let you continue with the story branch you chose. If there is a sequel, the game could ask you a series of questions before starting, and depending on your answers the game changes. (the major choices that will have an impact on the sequel, like what major characters are dead/alive etc.)

That's pretty cheesey, though.

"Okay, before we let you play, let's ask you a few things:

Did you kill of x character and prevent y event?"

"I'll be with you in two shakes of a high-explosive device cleverly disguised as a lamb's tail."

1) Rumours have no foundation.

2) Sega says no sequel, see thread.

3) Still, you can just copy and back up your save files somewhere.

1) This isn't placing any truth in rumors it's just asking about how a hypothetical game mechanic would work.

2) This thread was made scant hours before the announcement.

3) Well I was just wondering how AP's end-game save is different from Mass Effect's because it seems to me that AP saves only prior to the final boss fight, not after it so it never saves your ending.

Even though Sega says no sequel, that really matters only if Sega owns the IP...

So, here's my question - has Sega said they now own the IP?

If so, then we're out of luck, until Sega contracts a sequel OR someone buy the IP from them...

I'm not too worried. I can wait 5-10 years for the IP to pass on to a more capable publisher. Or maybe Obsidian will dissolve and Chris Avellone and some of the devs will form yet another company.

Har. But Black Isle already dissolved once. We don't need that again. >_<

"I'll be with you in two shakes of a high-explosive device cleverly disguised as a lamb's tail."

Given how uncreative the industry is nowadays, it's only a matter of time before almost any IP gets a sequel, prequel, remake, reboot, or spiritual successor. Of course, I'm still waiting on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2.

Look into some indie games, plenty of creativity to go around.

I know, I'm just speaking in generalities. The "mainstream" video game market is often as uninspired as Hollywood films. Not that the games aren't enjoyable, or even excellent. Just not inspired enough to keep on revisiting previous franchises.