Jagged Alliance 3

Diogo Ribeiro

Whoa! *does Snoopy dance*

Mind you, even if a JA3 does come down the pike eventually I'd be skeptical it could compare to its predecessors since those who made the originals so great have gone on to other projects... but dang. I can't help but be excited about the potential.

Then I think of Unfinished Business, and I realize potential alone does not a great game make. :p

Thanks for the heads up and the link. I've bookmarked the forum, and will keep a close eyeball on it.

i am quite sure it will suck utterly.

however, when drowning in a sea of crap any rope looks good.

:)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well if they don't make it TB, then they will be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I mean, Jag 3 is not going to sell like hotcakes without making far more changes than simply TB to RT regardless, but if its RT than they lose half the market of Jag fans that currently exist, right off the bat.

The proper approach with a Jag 3 is to recognize that the market is limited, don't create a game that sends dev costs through the roof, and make a game that will sell to all the current Jag fans plus maybe a few more and sill show a profit in the process.

hahahahahahahaha.

like that's going to happen.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The proper approach with a Jag 3 is to recognize that the market is limited, don't create a game that sends dev costs through the roof, and make a game that will sell to all the current Jag fans plus maybe a few more and sill show a profit in the process.

hahahahahahahaha.

like that's going to happen.

Well it's sound advice whether or not it happens. SS was supposed to be sexy and 3d but it didnt help much still sold very badly by normal standards.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

well, i will hope that strategy first will develop and set a realsitic sales goal figure for a potential Jag 3 and develop the game within those finicial limitations.

They have a much better chance of making a profit off a Jag3 if they don't try to turn it into the "next big thing".

There is certainly a decent size audience out there, especially in Europe, for a new Jag game, and since we've all benn playing a 640*480 game for the last 4 years, we're pretty ease to please from a devleopment pov.

Really, making a new Jag game should be a slamdunk.

I am quite sure however that strat first will ef it up.

well, i will hope that strategy first will develop and set a realsitic sales goal figure for a potential Jag 3 and develop the game within those finicial limitations.

They have a much better chance of making a profit off a Jag3 if they don't try to turn it into the "next big thing".

There is certainly a decent size audience out there, especially in Europe, for a new Jag game, and since we've all benn playing a 640*480 game for the last 4 years, we're pretty ease to please from a devleopment pov.

Really, making a new Jag game should be a slamdunk.

I am quite sure however that strat first will ef it up.

I really do believe JA3 will be profitable. The game is small and scope, at least compared to the Wizardry games and does not need a very big crew. Well at least this was the case for JA2. Also, there are people like me who claim it might be the best game ever made. You just can't beat advertising like that.

[Also, there are people like me who claim it might be the best game ever made. You just can't beat advertising like that.

Well, I don't know if I could call it the best game *ever*. Certainly, along with XCOM, its one of the best games of its *type* ever. Not that there isa reall ymuch competition.

The last I heard, which was a while ago, was that the plan with Jag 3 was to make it more of a crpg and less of a tactical combat game. Oh, and make it realk time and 3d, too.

:unsure:

Well, I don't know if I could call it the best game *ever*. Certainly, along with XCOM, its one of the best games of its *type* ever. Not that there isa reall ymuch competition.

I liked it much more then XCOM. What puts JA2 above the rest IMO is its style. Its a game that definately had a lot of it. It had a limited scope and everything that it tried to do, it did well. From the strategy aspect, to the financial aspect all the way to the tactical combat aspect. Couple this with its gritty dialogue and B-Movie Merc'i'ness and the end result was a superve game. I really can't say this about any other game, which I thought was just perfect, except for maybe Fallout...

Other games that I really really really really like, have serious faults, JA2 and FO, IMO are close to faultless, one of the reasons I like them so much.

I agree that much of what Jag 2 did was done very well. I do have issues with the way the stats were balanced, how easy/difficult they were to raise vs how important they were. I disliked the learn-by-doing implemenation of stat gain. The combat AI could have used some more work, although its not hideous. Small isues though. Overall, I would certainly give the game an "A" as I would Fallout (but not FO2).

A direct XCOM/Jag 2 comparison is difficult because they are at their heart much different games. But as far as implementing squad-based tactical combat in TB mode, they are both excpetional examples that I never tire of playing.