Texas GOP

heathen

For comparison I read yesterday that one of the new conservative health panel members believes foetuses can punch their way out of the womb.

Boy, I didn't know my kryptonian genes had spread that far...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In all fairness, the document is 25 pages long and the snippets pulled out are chosen specifically to make the entire party look like raving lunatics. Now fair enough, I consider far-right wing conservatives to be extremists because I disagree with so many of their ultra-conservative philosophies... still, this was deliberately meant to be an inflammatory hit piece.

"We propose that every Texas driver license shall indicate whether the driver is a U.S. citizen. No such documentation shall be issued to anyone not legally in the country."

What the heck is wrong with this? Nearly every state in the union requires proof of citizenship or legal residency to issue a driver's license. This is hardly a radical position.

This is stupid because it means no more cab drivers for Texas.

What?? That's ridiculous. If you mean that illegal immigrants cannot hold a valid drivers license in Texas... or California or Oregon or nearly any state in the union... that's absolutely correct. However, legal residents with a valid green card can indeed get a drivers license. See the problem is that illegals steal the identities of citizens and legal residents to forge drivers' licenses... and social security cards, and green cards... you get the gist. That's because they are here... stay with me now... illegally, which is against federal (and in one case state) law.

I also really like this one:

The sanctity of human life, created in the image of God, which should be protected from fertilization to natural death.

While supporting the death penalty. Sacred indeed! :D

*shrug* Most republicans are anti-abortion. I happen to be pro-choice, so this is another reason I disagree with most points of the GOP party platform. Also, I don't like to have religious dogma codified into law and forced on everyone else, whether they are believers or not. Still, it's not particularly radical. It's the core issue of the republican platform.

This has nothing to do with Texans, and everything to do with the national GOP platform which contains much of the same material.

Edited by ~Di

In all fairness, the document is 25 pages long and the snippets pulled out are chosen specifically to make the entire party look like raving lunatics. Now fair enough, I consider far-right wing conservatives to be extremists because I disagree with so many of their ultra-conservative philosophies... still, this was deliberately meant to be an inflammatory hit piece.

"We propose that every Texas driver license shall indicate whether the driver is a U.S. citizen. No such documentation shall be issued to anyone not legally in the country."

What the heck is wrong with this? Nearly every state in the union requires proof of citizenship or legal residency to issue a driver's license. This is hardly a radical position.

This is stupid because it means no more cab drivers for Texas.

What?? That's ridiculous. If you mean that illegal immigrants cannot hold a valid drivers license in Texas... or California or Oregon or nearly any state in the union... that's absolutely correct. However, legal residents with a valid green card can indeed get a drivers license. See the problem is that illegals steal the identities of citizens and legal residents to forge drivers' licenses... and social security cards, and green cards... you get the gist. That's because they are here... stay with me now... illegally, which is against federal (and in one case state) law.

I'm sorry, you're saying that they're already not issuing drivers licenses to illegals? I must have misunderstood that quote then. They're just proposing to add a space where it says "CITIZEN/NON-CITIZEN" then, right? I understood illegals can at the moment get a drivers license and do drive most of the cabs in Texas, based on talks with a friend. Guess he was wrong, then.

Because it will lead to discrimination. If you can legally obtain a drivers license, there is absolutely no need to have a sticker on it indicating whether or not you're a citizen, especially if it's likely that non-citizens will be discriminated against.

I'm very glad I don't live in Texas. Doesn't seem like it would be too nice of a place for an atheist to live.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I actually hear Austin is pretty great. There's an annual punk fest there, Chaos In Tejas where multiple friends of mine have gone to through the years and everyone's loved the place.

As long as you keep your atheism and opinions to yourself I think it's like any other place in the states. Sucks if you're gay, dark skinned or otherwise stand out from the majority though.

If you can legally obtain a drivers license, there is absolutely no need to have a sticker on it indicating whether or not you're a citizen, especially if it's likely that non-citizens will be discriminated against.

Reminds me of the "Hutu" or "Tutsi" mentioned on old Rwandese passports... or Jewish stars in the 30s.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If you can legally obtain a drivers license, there is absolutely no need to have a sticker on it indicating whether or not you're a citizen, especially if it's likely that non-citizens will be discriminated against.

Reminds me of the "Hutu" or "Tutsi" mentioned on old Rwandese passports... or Jewish stars in the 30s.

Those are quite extreme examples of racial profiling, but yes if this was made into a law it could lead to something similar.

I actually hear Austin is pretty great. There's an annual punk fest there, Chaos In Tejas where multiple friends of mine have gone to through the years and everyone's loved the place.

As long as you keep your atheism and opinions to yourself I think it's like any other place in the states. Sucks if you're gay, dark skinned or otherwise stand out from the majority though.

That'd probably never happen. I'm a very opinionated person, and I love arguing.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

That'd probably never happen. I'm a very opinionated person, and I love arguing.

I guess you can put the blame on yourself as much as the people you argue with then. You youself would be the one making life difficult for you in Texas.

I'm not religious by any means, but atheists annoy the hell out of me. Pompous bastards telling other people how to live. If everyone just got rid of state supported organized religion and kept their opinions to themselves we'd have no problems.

Edited by heathen

The Taliban throw acid in the faces of little girls who want to learn to read, they run heroin, and pay 5 year old kids to hook up bombs. So, forgive me for not seeing the obvious connection.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Taliban throw acid in the faces of little girls who want to learn to read, they run heroin, and pay 5 year old kids to hook up bombs. So, forgive me for not seeing the obvious connection.

Homophobia, discrimination, hate speech, religious and ethnic intolerance...

It hasn't been that many decades since the last lynching in the south.

Wow, you know so much about Texas sitting over there in Finland.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Wow, you know so much about Texas sitting over there in Finland.

I know a fair share, all second hand knowledge naturally. Much like everything you post :)

That's like saying a cat is a bear because they're furry and like eating other animals.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's like saying a cat is a bear because they're furry and like eating other animals.

No, more like saying they're both mammals and predators.

Actually calling Texas GOP a cat and the Taliban a bear is a quite fitting analogy :)

Edited by heathen

Is she a republican as well?

All that really show is that there are still some sane people in Texas.

No, one of her first edicts was that men who think they're women are now allowed to use women's bathrooms.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No, one of her first edicts was that men who think they're women are now allowed to use women's bathrooms.

In other words she is a sane person.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm sorry, you're saying that they're already not issuing drivers licenses to illegals? I must have misunderstood that quote then. They're just proposing to add a space where it says "CITIZEN/NON-CITIZEN" then, right? I understood illegals can at the moment get a drivers license and do drive most of the cabs in Texas, based on talks with a friend. Guess he was wrong, then.

Yes, he was wrong. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense...lStatusDLID.htm ...The Department of Public Safety requires applicants who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States to present proof of lawful status in the U.S. before being issued an original, renewal, or duplicate Texas driver license or identification card...

Because it will lead to discrimination. If you can legally obtain a drivers license, there is absolutely no need to have a sticker on it indicating whether or not you're a citizen, especially if it's likely that non-citizens will be discriminated against.

The link above goes to the Texas DPS Driver License requirements (which are the same as in California and most other states). There's no mention of a citizen/non-citizen designation on the license. People simply have to prove that they are citizens and/or legal residents of Texas. I fail to see the problem or discrimination here.

So... if they already have that requirement doesn't making the "citizen" mark basically become useless? I mean if people are jobbing the system to already require this then why would adding a marker saying "citizen" do anything beyond make for much easier profiling and manipulation by law enforcement?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In other words she is a sane person.

Not so sure about that. Government support for transsexuals is not exactly a clear-cut issue. And I'm a fairly liberal person.

At the heart of this issue you would have to examine why bathrooms are separated by sex in the first place. When you do that you'll find that such an edict has some fairly hard-to-resolve implications.

Edited by Oblarg

Yes, he was wrong. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense...lStatusDLID.htm ...The Department of Public Safety requires applicants who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States to present proof of lawful status in the U.S. before being issued an original, renewal, or duplicate Texas driver license or identification card...

The link above goes to the Texas DPS Driver License requirements (which are the same as in California and most other states). There's no mention of a citizen/non-citizen designation on the license. People simply have to prove that they are citizens and/or legal residents of Texas. I fail to see the problem or discrimination here.

The proposition would certainly change that, it seems.

I was in the Natural History Museum Last week and discovered they have one set of bathrooms for everyone, with sturdy cubicles around each convenience. I didn't notice any lack of civilisation. Indeed, quite the reverse.

-Elwood Blues