It's hot

Walsingham

It's been like 90F here for two weeks straight, with added high humidity levels. It's been terrible.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

And an awesome excessive heat warning:

Issued by The National Weather Service

Philadelphia, PA

9:42 am EDT, Mon., Jun. 28, 2010

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

THE COMBINATION OF NEAR RECORD HEAT AND INCREASING HUMIDITY WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDEX VALUES POSSIBLY REACHING EXCEEDING 100 DEGREES FOR 1 TO 3 HOURS THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS THE REGION. IN THE URBANIZED AREAS... LOOK FOR HEAT INDEX VALUES TO TOP OUT AROUND 101 DEGREES.

A COLD FRONT ENTERING THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WILL PUNCTUATE THE EXCESSIVE WARMTH WITH SCATTERED INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS THAT COULD CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER MORE COMFORTABLE AIR WILL ARRIVE TUESDAY AND REMAIN THROUGH FRIDAY... BEFORE HOT WEATHER RETURNS BY THE FOURTH OF JULY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE LIKELY. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

&&

lol at 36 C being "excessive heat"

I'm in Rhode Island. Its hot as balls.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

25 C now, it's becoming too much.

Bear in mind that most houses in Scandinavia are built to keep the warmth on the inside and neither do they have A/C for that matter. Having 30-35 C will result in hospital visits for some and even death for others. -30 C to -40 C is just fine though, the only thing people will complain about is that the buses and trains will be more late than usual.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And an awesome excessive heat warning:

Issued by The National Weather Service

Philadelphia, PA

9:42 am EDT, Mon., Jun. 28, 2010

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

THE COMBINATION OF NEAR RECORD HEAT AND INCREASING HUMIDITY WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDEX VALUES POSSIBLY REACHING EXCEEDING 100 DEGREES FOR 1 TO 3 HOURS THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS THE REGION. IN THE URBANIZED AREAS... LOOK FOR HEAT INDEX VALUES TO TOP OUT AROUND 101 DEGREES.

A COLD FRONT ENTERING THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WILL PUNCTUATE THE EXCESSIVE WARMTH WITH SCATTERED INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS THAT COULD CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER MORE COMFORTABLE AIR WILL ARRIVE TUESDAY AND REMAIN THROUGH FRIDAY... BEFORE HOT WEATHER RETURNS BY THE FOURTH OF JULY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE LIKELY. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

&&

lol at 36 C being "excessive heat"

Not everybody lives 20 feet away from the sun, chum!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Let me know when the heat starts to buckle the train lines and I'll give you some cheese for your whine. :*:p

How about destroying the highways?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Let me know when the heat starts to buckle the train lines and I'll give you some cheese for your whine. :*:p

How about destroying the highways?

That's why you make your highways out of cheese, like the moon.

"Mad dogs and Englishmen...."

It's not unseasonably hot, but it's a touch uncomfortable...but then being right on the coast there's a mass of humidity kicking in as well. I like being able to breathe my air. Not having to drink it.

Egyptian dry heat wasn't too bad. California was fun (hell, the sun goes behind some clouds, the natives would complain about the cold and rush for sweaters,while I'd be in a tshirt going "umm.. cold? where?") ..

It's always kind of funky to see how growing up in specific climates can shift out your temperature tolerance.... :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

25 C now, it's becoming too much.

Bear in mind that most houses in Scandinavia are built to keep the warmth on the inside and neither do they have A/C for that matter.

True, but honestly, 25c is still fine, unless you work outside in manual labor or something.

Ok, I got AC at work so I spend most of my time in a rather nicely chilled environment, but 25c is nowhere near to being too much. I'd say that 30 in the nordic countries is hitting too much, 37 in mediterranean countries where heat is expected (when ambient temperature exceed body temperature, things get kind of poopy fast.)

Interestingly, when it gets cold a similar 10 degree difference seems to exist. Close to 0c in Athens always felt at least as bad as -10c in Helsinki, if not worse. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Interestingly, where I live sees winter temperatures hit -5C while summer temperatures hit 40C, on average. Quite a wide band. The worst months for me aren't those of summer or winter, but autumn and spring, when the body is acclimatising to the new temperatures.

:* 25C is really hot here in Estonia...

A few years back it actually hit 30C... I know I was there, and it was relentless! The sun pretty much stuck around 24/7... I hid inside.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Guest Accept

+ 28 C in the shadows a couple of days ago. Now it's starting to cool off (yeah right) with a temperature drop of ~ 3 degrees... When it's a clear day you'll have to live beside some form of water or heat stroke is a fact.

Edited by Accept

It's all in the humidity isn't it.

Anyway several thousand died in that French heat wave a couple of years ago.

I remember that, it was 2003 and I worked in Paris at the time... It was so hot, dry and sunny that small rings of salt accumulated on my skin because the sweat evaporated so quickly.

In Paris alone I think a couple of hundred people died during the 3 weeks I was there..

Fortune favors the bald.

39C here.

My back is drenched [in sweat] as if I ran a mile, all I did was water the plants. To think it's hotter in Iraq atm and the civilians have to endure frequent power cuts. Poor bastards.

I am sweating like a pig at the moment, eventhough it is a mere 20 C now outside at 2 in the morning.

It's 28 here in my apartment, and it is going to stay that way for a long time, since all the buildings here are built stop any heat from escaping to the outside :lol:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy