Alpha Protocol sales and sequel

I have no idea what's going on or what you guys are talking about anymore, but... calm down. :)

(sorry for my poor english)

I agree with you. I tried three times to put an end to this nonsense, and bring the discussion to the subject matter, but did not succeed. The first time rationally, the second time courtesy, the third ironically. But it didn't work.

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

If sales were good enough for SEGA, they would give green light for DLC content for Alpha Protocol, to milk the franchise.

Since it won't be the case, things are not so good.

That's a might big assumption there, playa!

If there's no DLC in the pipeline, it really doesn't mean much.

Hell, God of War 3 was supposed to get some form of DLC, yet it never did. Many million+ sellers don't get DLC.

If they were considering DLC they would probably have shipped AP with either Steamworks or GfWL on PC, otherwise it's pretty difficult to monetise it short of going the EA route and establishing your own equivalent. And while PC certainly would not be the major DLC revenue stream it is pretty much 'free' money with either of those middleware.

"So if ME2 sold 1.8mil in over 5 months"

ME2 sold 2mil in ONE week.

Alpha Protocol sold 1,5 million copies in ONE day.

Where did you get this number from, because 1,5 million copies in a day is amazing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Where did you get this number from, because 1,5 million copies in a day is amazing.

He was joking. Though in that message isn't obvious he clarified it after Tigranes' post.

If they were considering DLC they would probably have shipped AP with either Steamworks or GfWL on PC, otherwise it's pretty difficult to monetise it short of going the EA route and establishing your own equivalent. And while PC certainly would not be the major DLC revenue stream it is pretty much 'free' money with either of those middleware.

Well, game already has pre-order bonus content, which essentially makes it DLC capable.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

He was joking. Though in that message isn't obvious he clarified it after Tigranes' post.

Eh eh, is correct.

OT: I think we have two things in common: A) we share the fateful destiny of "survival" in Italy B) if I correctly interpret your photo, we're both battlestarholics :sorcerer:

Edited by epektasis

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

OT: I think we have two things in common: A) we share the fateful destiny of "survival" in Italy B) if I correctly interpret your photo, we're both battlestarholics :sorcerer:

You do interpret my avatar correctly.

Returning IT, while I understand what Zoraptor is saying, it's not like there haven't been other games that integrated DLCs while originally not geared towards them , and honestly the fact that they didn't think about DLCs during development strikes me as 'not having that much faith in the project'.

I could be wrong but...

Hm, I'm not sure how well DLC would actually work well with the AP storyline.. I mean, there's so much put in the background to cause consequences in later missions and with other characters... Making DLC that would fit into that seems a bit more then the casual DLC "fit in anywhere" approach that Mass Effect and Dragonage can do...

Plus the cost effectiveness of all the voice work for it.. That is, if it were extra missions rather then just simple "guns n gadgets".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Eh eh, is correct.

OT: I think we have two things in common: A) we share the fateful destiny of "survival" in Italy B) if I correctly interpret your photo, we're both battlestarholics :ermm:

You're doing it wrong, you need to add "R00FLES" and the end and mention that it's a fact. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Returning IT, while I understand what Zoraptor is saying, it's not like there haven't been other games that integrated DLCs while originally not geared towards them , and honestly the fact that they didn't think about DLCs during development strikes me as 'not having that much faith in the project'.

I could be wrong but...

I don't know about not having faith in the project, it may just be that at a point you have to accept that some projects simply are not geared by their structure towards having DLC. Meaningful DLC for a primarily story driven game is a real pain to do well, as evidenced by the generally lukewarm reactions to a lot of the DAO/ ME2 stuff. How could you do meaningful DLC for a game like Alpha Protocol? Sure you can do really basic stuff like add items etc but integrating new missions? Very difficult to do well I would think, and if sales were good a quick turn around sequel would be a better bet IMO.

Well, game already has pre-order bonus content, which essentially makes it DLC capable.

Not on PC I'm afraid. DLC ain't a problem for the consoles because that functionality is pretty much intrinsic, but on PC you need a way to deliver it.

Edited by Zoraptor

I rreally hope for a sequel to this game even a trilogy because it's a really good game with muiltiple endings. I love the RPG elements and dialog options. I just need more takedowns. Maybe simultanious takedowns. Also I would like more missions to level up. But a great game starting out.

Steam has had DLC capability for a while now.

As has GFWL, but that's beside the point.

C'mon gif man, it's not like it's hiding on page 1 or something, it's about 8 posts up the page.

Edited by Zoraptor

So you make contradictory posts for the fun of it?

EDIT: If you were implying that Steamworks is a requirement for DLC then you are wrong:

From Steam's press release:

DLC can now be added to any game on Steam, regardless of whether it was originally purchased via Steam, at retail, or via other digital outlets. It is also a feature of Steamworks, the suite of free tools and services available to game developers and publishers.
Edited by Purkake

I think his point is that you could link AP to Steam as a delivery mechanism even without including it on the DVD. Which is true, to a point, but way more trouble than just including the middleware with the initial release like most every other title does- you'd effectively have to patch it (steamworks/ GfWL) in to allow DLC to become available.