Alpha Protocol sales and sequel

http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

That site is just estimate work.

"I think nobody doubts that he saw the 1.8 number."

Why do you keep quoting the 1.8 number like it's the number I quoted. It isn't. And, actually, more thana few people doubt I saw the number I did see. That's why they keep crying about it.

"He could've easily dodged it by giving the link but well..."

Why? So, the crybaby bullies could win? Sorry, I don't get intimidated by tough interent talk.

"(not 100% accurate for a number of reasons, but generally pretty good)"

Nah. It's pretty common knowledge that NPD lowballs sales numbers. They usually oome in at the low end of the sales.

"hasn't even surpassed the original's sales numbers yet"

yes, it it has.

"EA/Bioware have to be disappointed"

FALSE CONJECTURE.

Nothing written or said by EA or BIO has suggested dissapointment.

"I never said you have to be a shooter to sell well. In your defence, there's a typo on my post, it should be read like this:"

yeah, but you did claim ME2 sold well because it was a shooter. That's silly talk for severalr easons: a) it';s not a shooter but an action rpg and b) BIO's history of games shows that their games would sell even if it isn't a shooter. c) ME series sold because of BIO's name. Plain, and simple.

I do like how people keep insulting Tigranes and the link shared in that post.

Bottom line is that ME2 has sold way more than 1.8 mil copies. That's a fact PROVEN in this thread with actual links.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

New guys, meet Volourn. It's like talking to a wall.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

New guys, meet Volourn. It's like talking to a wall.

Go Dwarves Go!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well I'm not seeing 3mil units anywhere and did some searching last night. The only numbers I see are 2 million untis shipped when the game launched, 1.6 million (this included digital downloads) directly from EA in their financial reports (end of march) and the latest number of 1.79 million.

yeah, but you did claim ME2 sold well because it was a shooter. That's silly talk for severalr easons: a) it';s not a shooter but an action rpg and b) BIO's history of games shows that their games would sell even if it isn't a shooter. c) ME series sold because of BIO's name. Plain, and simple.

I do like how people keep insulting Tigranes and the link shared in that post.

Bottom line is that ME2 has sold way more than 1.8 mil copies. That's a fact PROVEN in this thread with actual links.

To say "several" implies at least 6 reasons, so far you give only 3, which lies on "some" not "several", as you dismissed my "conjecture" affirmations, and PLEASE define an (sic) " an action rpg"... and please give facts of this affirmation, if not, do not conjecture: (sic) "BIO's history of games shows that their games would sell even if it isn't a shooter"... other than you are a die hard Bio fan... and supporting, (sic) " c) ME series sold because of BIO's name"... Plain and simple, you are posting in the wrong forum, need assurance, here you go... here, your "facts" and plain truths shall be cherished...

In plain and simple terms, you are talking bullocks, and this is not the forum to indulge you...

In that tone, Rockstar Games, shall sell 10 times more than Bio, because they are focused in shooter market, and still it gives them an edge to be at the same level... with all and your "Bio facts" ME2 figures are falling short compared to RDR and other shooters... what you can not digest is that Bio went after the shooter market and succeeded in a degree, but utterly failed in the RPG market... Bioware is not longer a RPG, is a cash machine for EA... of course conjectures... failing miserably to the fact that the rest of the forum members see you as a Biow die hard fan... but still you won't agree because it needs your approval...

Edited by edgarcuk

(sorry for my poor english)

I opened this topic, so I kindly ask to everyone to avoid responding to provocations by Volourn, or to open another topic on this specific object of discussion (ME2 sales).

I quoted two statements from EA, which are not interpretable: if EA has officially stated that Mass Effect has sold 1.6 million copies (12 may 2010), then Mass Effect has sold 1.6 million copies: there is nothing more to say. Unless you think that EA officially declares an infinitely smaller number of copies sold, for a reason that is not understandable, this debate seems to have become useless.

It seems like to discuss, today, the existence of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, existence that President Bush and his staff claimed to be an indisputable "fact", and, it seems to me, with the same kind of arguments about the "facts" expressed by Volourn.

Edited by epektasis

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

I opened this topic, so I kindly ask to everyone to avoid responding to provocations by Volourn, or to open another topic on this specific object of discussion (ME2 sales).

I quoted two statements from EA, which are not interpretable: if EA has officially stated that Mass Effect has sold 1.6 million copies (12 may 2010), then Mass Effect has sold 1.6 million copies: there is nothing more to say. Unless you think that EA officially declares an infinitely smaller number of copies sold, for a reason that is not understandable, this debate seems to have become useless.

It seems like to discuss, today, the existence of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, existence that President Bush and his staff claimed to be an indisputable "fact", and, it seems to me, with the same kind of arguments about the "facts" expressed by Volourn.

Quite sensible post, for the sake why you started, beyond Bullurn's facts, sorry typo Volourn's facts...

Returning to the Obsidian's figures, the sales are at the level of a good RPG... not impressive but maintaining that bar....

Why do you keep quoting the 1.8 number like it's the number I quoted. It isn't. And, actually, more thana few people doubt I saw the number I did see. That's why they keep crying about it.

You're wrong. They don't doubt it. They just laugh at how stubborn you are not to show the actual link (what you gave, www.vgchartz.com, is as useful as telling us to google it, and even then, vgchartz says 1,79million so i guess i was a 100k off?).

Why? So, the crybaby bullies could win? Sorry, I don't get intimidated by tough interent talk.

Crybaby bullies. Now that's a concept.

"hasn't even surpassed the original's sales numbers yet"

yes, it it has.

Your link, vgchartz says 2.22 for ME1 and 1.79 for ME2. Unless math's taking a weird turn for the bizarre or that link's inaccurate, you're wrong.

"I never said you have to be a shooter to sell well. In your defence, there's a typo on my post, it should be read like this:"

I said they put a shooter in it. It's an RPG with a shooter put in it. The RPG and shooter elements barely connect with each other but i suppose that's asking you for too much comprehension at a time. I said ME2 sold well because it's got a shooter in it. I didn't say all Bioware games can't sell well unless they're shooters and i didn't say ME2 is a shooter. Read the full sentences, not just the words.

Again, there's just one link saying that there has been sold 6.6m, that many believe a typo while there's plenty that say 1.6-over 2.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2#Sales

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177757

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37369/Mass-Effect-sales-top-2m

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...2-Million-Units

http://www.gamershell.com/news_90274.html

http://www.techshout.com/gaming/2010/03/ma...-in-first-week/

http://gamefocus.ca/news/8113

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27012/M...llion_Units.php

Sure, if it reached 2.5 it'd be a lot more than 1.8, but it's still no 5 million in one week like MW2. But common concensus is NOT 6.6m but something over 2 million units (as in, not 6 million).

"Well I'm not seeing 3mil units anywhere and did some searching last night."

Did you even click on Tigrane's links? Why do you guys continue to besmirch and insult Tiogranes when Tigranes (not me) provided multiple links.

"Your link"

MY LINK!?!

"Again, there's just one link saying that there has been sold 6.6m,"

I have NEVER claimed ME2 sold 6.6MIL copies.

"but it's still no 5 million in one week like MW2. But common concensus is NOT 6.6m but something over 2 million units (as in, not 6 million)."

That's awesome because I NEVER claimed either of those things.

"Returning to the Obsidian's figures, the sales are at the level of a good RPG"

If the AP sale reports are accurates, no it isn't. Espicially for a companmy striving to rach the BIO/BETH levels of popularity. BIo games tend to sell in the 3 mil range (with JE and likely S:RPG being the noteable exemptions amongst their RPGs that didn't). In fact, if eports are acurate, it's far elss than either NWN2 or KOTOR sold which means they've dropped quite a few customers.

"miserably to the fact that the rest of the forum members see you as a Biow die hard fan"

Such a hardcore fan that I haven't about half their games, find KOTOR overrated, thinking NWN OC and OSU are simply slightly above average, and find the NWN2 OC slightly better than NWN1 OC. That's die ahrd. Lets' not forget I post more here than there. *shrug* And, I love MOTB.

I, for one, believe Tigrane's links because Tigranes is trustworthy you crybabies are not.

How many games are you arguing ME2 sold? 3 million? 2 million? When you said "Bottom line is that ME2 has sold way more than 1.8 mil copies. " i was thinking at least a million more but now i'm not so sure. I'm positive you didn't mean 6.6 now that i've read you say it but seriously, how much?

And i don't think Obs' trying to topple Beth or Bio. AP was a shot at reaching them in terms of reachability but they obviously couldn't hold themselves and made it awesome for everyone, not just console shooter gamers.

"miserably to the fact that the rest of the forum members see you as a Biow die hard fan"

Such a hardcore fan that I haven't about half their games, find KOTOR overrated, thinking NWN OC and OSU are simply slightly above average, and find the NWN2 OC slightly better than NWN1 OC. That's die ahrd. Lets' not forget I post more here than there. *shrug* And, I love MOTB.

I, for one, believe Tigrane's links because Tigranes is trustworthy you crybabies are not.

Ehem, still you repeated yourself twice, mentioned Bio's name twice.... if that is not (under your true parameters) being a "crybabie"... you really cried louder (twice) than everyone else... still Tigranes, heard you mate...

BUT it's better to say that you love ME2, I do as well, but I never denied the "fact" (from my point of view) that it has been "sexed" as a TPS in order to gain a massive acceptance... and above all, I never tried to make my own opinion and thoughts better or above the members' opinions of this forums, still I do not try to defend a lost ground...

Edited by edgarcuk

Did you even click on Tigrane's links? Why do you guys continue to besmirch and insult Tiogranes when Tigranes (not me) provided multiple links.

Tigranes' links do not indicate 3 million unit sales. Why do you continue to misrepresent other people's posts in attempts to support your incorrect statements?

Tigranes' links do not indicate 3 million unit sales. Why do you continue to misrepresent other people's posts in attempts to support your incorrect statements?

Probably because it was he who said that Mass Effect has sold 3 million copies (page 3, post 38: "Huh? ME2 has sold, at minimum, around 3mil copies").

@Zkylon

Forgive me, but why do you continue a meaningless debate?

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

@Zkylon

Forgive me, but why do you continue a meaningless debate?

Right now, because it's fun :lol: It's pointless to get some sense outta the guy and this thread should be locked/"ontopicked" but i wouldn't know what to add to that. In relation to that, i'll proceed to shut up and let the educated continue :)

edit: i also just read your post regarding not answering Volourn so, you know...

Edited by zkylon

Indeed, well given the sales-to-date (200K), doesn't include PC sales, which could be around 50K-75K. I'd say a sequel would be slim, I think the magic number would need to be at least 500K, it's still early and sales could get there by the end of the year. It's getting no support from critics so it will take word of mouth now for it to reach those numbers. And AP is now the property of Sega or does Obsidian retain any rights to making the sequel? Sega could ask another dev to make the game.

"Tigranes' links do not indicate 3 million unit sales. Why do you continue to misrepresent other people's posts in attempts to support your incorrect statements?"

Why don't you read the link again. It says ME2 moved OVER 2mil copies in the FIRST WEEK ALONE. Do youn honestly believe it moved 2mil copies EXACTLY in the first week and then proceeded to sell ZERO copies all these months later? Come on, now, let's not get silly.

2ptncsx.gif

This is confusingly entertaining.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So if ME2 sold 1.8mil in over 5 months how is 300-400k in the first month so bad for AP when it had less than 1/10 the advertising? Virtually all of AP's sales were at full retail price. It has just now today been discounted at Steam. I didn't buy ME2 until it was $30 as sci-fi doesn't interest me that much.

Edited by Spydude

"So if ME2 sold 1.8mil in over 5 months"

ME2 sold 2mil in ONE week.

" how is 300-400k in the first month so bad for AP"

It isn't horrible if it actually sold that much. But, it's nwoehre as much as a company the size of Obsidian sis striving for?

" when it had less than 1/10 the advertising? "

1/10th? L0LZ

ME2 moved OVER 2mil copies in the FIRST WEEK ALONE. Do you honestly believe it moved 2mil copies EXACTLY in the first week and then proceeded to sell ZERO copies all these months later?

As a clarification, this is in fact exactly how sales figures generated by copies shipped work. You don't ship more until the stock is low so you have huge first week 'sales' and then... well it depends entirely on how many actually get sold through. Ship 2 million copies and if they don't sell then you may not ship another single copy, ever, and rely solely on excess inventory stock.

Or they sell and you ship/ fabricate more batches as demand dictates.

Edited by Zoraptor

"Tigranes' links do not indicate 3 million unit sales. Why do you continue to misrepresent other people's posts in attempts to support your incorrect statements?"

Why don't you read the link again. It says ME2 moved OVER 2mil copies in the FIRST WEEK ALONE. Do youn honestly believe it moved 2mil copies EXACTLY in the first week and then proceeded to sell ZERO copies all these months later? Come on, now, let's not get silly.

What I have heard is that the sales dropped off dramatically after the inital buy period. So yes, I honestly believe that it didn't sell another million copies. I believe that because it's fact.

On a more serious note for Zoraptor: I don't know if those numbers indicate sell-in or sell-through.

Edited by Thorton_AP

The relevant quotes are "The publisher announced that Commander Shepard's spacefaring sequel has moved over 2 million copies this week." (They don't link to their EA source so it cannot be checked, but moved is almost certainly shipped given the quote below)

"Mass Effect 2 – sold through over 1.6 million packaged and digital units in the quarter for Europe and North America combined and launched with a Metacritic rating of 96 on the Xbox 360"

The only real question is whether ME2 launched prior to Q4 (can't find a definitive answer in the pdf, don't care enough to look elsewhere but it is certainly implied that it and BFBC both launched Q4) and how many sales it has had since then. The 1.6 million is a minimum and represents very good sales and a profitable title in any case.

So I lied and checked Q3 as well: "BioWare’s Mass Effect 2 shipped January 26th [..] We announced the shipment of 2 million copies and the early read on sell through is strong."

Edited by Zoraptor