Alpha Protocol sales and sequel

Consoles are 80% of the gaming market in the US but only in the sixties in Europe. So seeing the very low sales for Europe on VGChartz, one can expect that the game sold more on PC than consoles. So I'd say also between 300 and 400k in total.

Games underated by reviews have a tendency to have a slower growth on sales. New IP too whereas sequels have a tendency to sell quickly. Thus, we should wait and see at least one more month to have a good idea on the result of AP.

Freespace, Jedi Knight, Shenmue, Deus Ex (by the same devs) got one. PS:T is a license issue. Freelancer had several problems preventing it but is a candidat for a series that may be resurrected.

Your point?

(And yeah, DX2 wasn't too great but still by a lot of the same devs.)

Tell me where I can find Freespace 3, Jedi Knight 4(unless you consider TFU it's successor) and Shemnue 3. I would love to play them. Freelancer 2 was being developed for X360/PC(theres vids on youtube), but M$ in there grand wisdom sheveled it.

My point is cult does not equal sequel, you and I might want a sequel but realistically we probably won't get it.

I didn't know that Mirror's Edge had sold so much (IMHO a great game, aesthetically one of the best in this videogame generation). The thing that I don't understand is: how can Mirror's Edge be considered a failure, having sold 1.83 million copies? How much money was spent to produce and advertise Mirror's Edge? Is impossible that they have spent more than Mass Effect 2, a game that has sold the same amount of copies of Mirror's Edge, and that only for dubbing must have cost a fortune to EA . In this sense, if Mirror's Edge is a failure, then Mass Effect 2 should be considered a colossal failure. Or not?

Mirror's Edge is now at 1.83 mil, publishers and EA especially look at pre-orders and early sales(first 2 months) where Mirror's Edge didn't do too well. In comparison ME2 was at 1.50mil after 2 months on 360 alone, the only thing EA is thinking is how can we get the ME series on the PS3. However I don't think EA thought ME was a huge success.

I think AP will not get a sequel because it does not seem like Obsidian and Sega have a great relationship at this point. I would be surprised to see them work together again. Thankfully Obsidian is already moving forward and working with other publishers, but I doubt Square Enix wants to do AP2.

Did I not here that Sega owned the AP IP? If true that would mean any AP sequel would have to involve Sega.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I guess JK 2-3, Shenmue 2 and Freespace 2 aren't sequels.

They're... puddings, yes. Let's call them puddings.

Jedi Knight, Freespace and Shemnue, weren't cult games when released, but successful titles. There sequels became the cult games that didn't sell enough to warrant furthur sequels.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Actually Shenmue had disappointing sales considering its budget, which was one of the reasons that convinced SEGA to cram much more of the storyline in its sequel.

It didn't work well. :lol:

Really, I always thought the seconds weak sales performance killed the series, sad to learn both failed.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Actually Shenmue had disappointing sales considering its budget, which was one of the reasons that convinced SEGA to cram much more of the storyline in its sequel.

It didn't work well. :lol:

Really, I always thought the seconds weak sales performance killed the series, sad to learn both failed.

Well, in the case of Shenmue it has a lot to do with the enormous budget though.

The saga could really support itself with stellar sales, so anything less than that, even if good, would have killed it.. as it happened (though there are still talks about a sequel from time to time).

I doubt that's the case for Alpha Protocol.. if anything I have the suspicion the budget was lower than what the project really needed though who knows whose fault was for that (I don't really know how publisher-developer relationship work, and blaming SEGA at this point is far too easy and quick).

I doubt that's the case for Alpha Protocol.. if anything I have the suspicion the budget was lower than what the project really needed though who knows whose fault was for that (I don't really know how publisher-developer relationship work, and blaming SEGA at this point is far too easy and quick).

While, it's wouldn't of had a RDR budget, it was in development for 4 years wasn't it? That's not cheap. I remember people speculating DA's sales weren't enough to recoup the money spent in development, which is why we getting the speed expansions/DLC.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

While, it's wouldn't of had a RDR budget, it was in development for 4 years wasn't it? That's not cheap. I remember people speculating DA's sales weren't enough to recoup the money spent in development, which is why we getting the speed expansions/DLC.

Well, ontop of an enormous budget with ludicrous expectations, as well as pushing it onto the dreamcast.. didn't bode well for the game. I suppose they were imagining it as the "flagship" title for the dreamcast, only dreamcast sales were horrendous along with the game already being a "niche" game to begin with.

Huge budget, barely any consoles to play it on meant it was relegated to "cult" status amongst those who bought and loved it to death.

A perfect cult-hit that keeps spawning sequels? STALKER! Shadow of Chernobyl, ClearSky (arguably the weakest of the 3) and Call of Pripyat, with plans for STALKER 2 to be (hopefully not) released on consoles.

These are worldwide figures, including USA. These are for console only (PS3 and 360), with a total around 200,000 copies, in average, at GBP33 per unit in 360 and PS3, the sales on console, would be around GBP6.6 millions... around EUR8 millions or about USD9 millions... only in consoles

"Is impossible that they have spent more than Mass Effect 2, a game that has sold the same amount of copies of Mirror's Edge"

Huh? ME2 has sold, at minimum, around 3mil copies.

As for people claiming the sales will pick it up, somethings should be noted:

a) sales usually start out strong and then fall off. Some exceptions exist (ie. the super super popular games).

b) Publishers tend to look mainly at sales done in the first month or so. It doesn't matter really if a game sells 'decent' a eyar down the road. What matters most is if the game sells well from the start.

c) The common concensus on non Obsidian forums is that AP is a lacklustre game. Don't get tricked into thinking Obsidian fans' opinions = common concensus.

d) Who know if Obsidian will be interested in doing an AP sequel when they can concentrate on games that seem to be more popular. ie DS3 and LV:N.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

c) The common concensus on non Obsidian forums is that AP is a lacklustre game. Don't get tricked into thinking Obsidian fans' opinions = common concensus.

d) Who know if Obsidian will be interested in doing an AP sequel when they can concentrate on games that seem to be more popular. ie DS3 and LV:N.

c) Yea, and the common concensus on the forums I read is that AP is a good game.

d) LV:N ?

Hate the living, love the dead.

"Is impossible that they have spent more than Mass Effect 2, a game that has sold the same amount of copies of Mirror's Edge"

(sorry for my poor english)

3 million copies? Ok, it might be true, but you could quote a reliable source for these numbers? I say this because for EA, at 31 March 2010, Mass Effect 2 has sold 1.6 million copies. It is possible that Mass Effect 2 has sold 1.4 million copies between April 1 and June 25 2010?

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

3 million copies? Ok, it might be true, but you could quote a reliable source for these numbers? I say this because for EA, at 31 March 2010, Mass Effect 2 has sold 1.6 million copies. It is possible that Mass Effect 2 has sold 1.4 million copies between April 1 and June 25 2010?

ME2 hasn't sold 3mil copies unless is sold 1.2 mil on PC(miracle).

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I trust the artciles I've read. The artcile I refer to was linked on the Codex where it listed DA at 3.2mil copies and ME2 at 2.5M copies at the time. I remmeber it because of the debate I had with them over which game was 'more successful. If you want a link search there as I don't need to 'prove' facts that are facts.

"What's DS3 and LV:N???

I'm busting my head here"

Um.. You an Obsidian fan? It's their next two games. Dungeon Seige 3, and Las Vegas: Nevada (ok, I admit, I got this name wrong but then again, I don't give a crap about any Betheda tainted version of Fo; the actual name is Fallout: Las Vegas). L0L LV: N. I wonder why that got in my head.

"c) Yea, and the common concensus on the forums I read is that AP is a good game."

Of course. Probably, because you set out to find forums that think the way you do. Nothing wrong with that but let's be honest. Bottom line no matter how we eprsonally feel about AP; the general consensus is that it is a subpar game. The ratings - both reviewer and fan - say everything. It's apaprant lacklustre sales for what was supposedly a 2nd tier level game backs that up.

I trust the artciles I've read. The artcile I refer to was linked on the Codex where it listed DA at 3.2mil copies and ME2 at 2.5M copies at the time. I remmeber it because of the debate I had with them over which game was 'more successful. If you want a link search there as I don't need to 'prove' facts that are facts.

Forgive me, but your statement is unacceptable in any context of discussion. A fact is a fact because you say it is a fact? If it were true what you say, then anyone could say anything, and then add "for me is a fact, then I do not have to prove it." Maybe you're confusing opinion and fact. In any case, your mysterious source is more reliable than the official statement from EA?

Edited by epektasis

"This is my destiny. To see what lies between life and death"

Forgive me, but your statement is unacceptable in any context of discussion. A fact is a fact because you say it is a fact? If it were true what you say, then anyone could say anything, and then add "for me is a fact, then I do not have to prove it." Maybe you're confusing opinion and fact. In any case, your mysterious source is more reliable than the official statement from EA?

Your english is perfect and i agree. While you can't trust EA to release an accurate estimate (we all assume they inflate it because that's how business is) a third party article isn't a valid source unless you link to it. And even then it's arguable. I'm not gonna search a thread to prove you right. That's your job.

Edited by zkylon

Of course. Probably, because you set out to find forums that think the way you do. Nothing wrong with that but let's be honest. Bottom line no matter how we eprsonally feel about AP; the general consensus is that it is a subpar game. The ratings - both reviewer and fan - say everything. It's apaprant lacklustre sales for what was supposedly a 2nd tier level game backs that up.

Oh, so now you know which forums I post on and how I choose where I post... If posting here and two of the biggest finnish gaming forums is being choosy then I guess I'm guilty, maybe if I joined you at rpgcodex (since they hate everything), you would approve...

And we already had the argument about reviewer and fan ratings, let's not repeat it since it only lead you repeating few sentences/words:

-bigotry

-THAT'S A BIG FAT LIE

-r00fles

-blatant lies

-irrelevant

Hate the living, love the dead.

Your english is perfect and i agree. While you can't trust EA to release an accurate estimate (we all assume they inflate it because that's how business is) a third party article isn't a valid source unless you link to it. And even then it's arguable. I'm not gonna search a thread to prove you right. That's your job.

A publicly traded company like EA cannot grossly misrepresent their sales numbers. They can make estimates about future sales, but if you ever see stuff like this in a press release you'll always see disclaimers about how the contents of the release contain forward thinking statements and may not actually occur.

Having said that, I'm unaware of where Volourn found his number for Mass Effect 2 sales. Obviously I trust my numbers :)

And no, I cannot discuss them as that's outside of my job responsibilities :ermm:

"Forgive me,"

For what? You've commited no sin.

" but your statement is unacceptable in any context of discussion."

No. You don't make that decision/

" A fact is a fact because you say it is a fact?"

No. A fact is a fact no matter. facts are facts by being merely facts.

" If it were true what you say, then anyone could say anything, and then add "for me is a fact, then I do not have to prove it.""

No, it's a fact because it's true whetehr you believe it or not. Just because I don't link prof for you to read doesn't make it so.

I could claim the US invaded Iraq under the second President Bush and share no links and that statement would still be fact. Right?

" Maybe you're confusing opinion and fact. In any case, your mysterious source is more reliable than the official statement from EA?"

i think your confusing needing proof to back up fact to proof = fact. I could say i was born on December 27, 1976 and it would be fact even if I didn't share my birth certificate. It's true. fact is fact NO MATTER WHAT.

I ain't sharing the link as I feel no need to prove it as I get nothing out if. Still doesn't change the facts. ME2 has sold far more than 1.8mil copies.