Who's designing this?

Hi all,

I am a new member of the forums, but a long time DS fan. I have a question regarding the design team for DS3. I was looking at your past topics, and in one of them it has Nathaniel Chapman listed as Lead Designer. My question is, what games has Mr. Chapman made in the past, or has he lead a team in. I did a search online and it looks like he has never lead a design team before. Is he an experience designer?

I get concern because I love the DS series, and I want DS3 to be as good or better than the past ones. It would be a bummer if they put a guy that is not that well seasoned in charge of designing this one.

I'm not saying he isn

Thanks Enoch!

I did some searching around and I came across some websites, that had him listed as QA for 3 of the first games listed on the mobygame website. Apparently he joined Obsidian as QA/Assistant Producer, and worked his way to Lead System Designer, and now to Lead Designer. I'm not exactly sure how the ranks work in video game development, but it appears that he made some career leaps over there. Considering that other studios have Junior Designers, and Senior Designer on staff. So I'm not exactly sure if he skipped these titles or Obsidian has a different system for their staff titles. If he indeed skipped all those ranks, then he has to be one heck of a designer, or there wasn

Well if you're an Assistant Producer you're not just a low-end QA drone filling out bug sheets, you're pretty involved in game development already. I don't know much about Nathaniel's career but it doesn't seem that parachute.

As far as I know, Chapman

worked as QA manager and (promoted later to) assistant producer on Neverwinter Nights 2 for about 2.5 years

worked as assistant producer on Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer for about a year

worked as designer on Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir for about a year

worked as designer on Aliens: Crucible for about a few months

is working as lead systems designer and (promoted later to) lead designer on Dungeon Siege 3 for about 1.5 years.

BTW, Trebushido why are you using the same avatar as mine? o:)

Edited by funcroc

worked as QA manager and (promoted later to) assistant producer on Neverwinter Nights 2 for about 2.5 years

worked as assistant producer on Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer for about a year

is working as lead systems designer and (promoted later to) lead designer on Dungeon Siege 3 for about 1.5 years.

Dossier: 20% complete.

Wonder who we'll need to speak to to unlock more dossier info... and that "secret" intel.

... Looks like I know who to go to when I need to update my resume!

Because it fits the forum, because it's the Shield of the Azunai, because it looks good, and because I take what I want :p JK man, I will make another one soon. This site needs DS related avatars. Who's in charge here?

Also... HI Chapman! I hope you are not offended by the topic, I was just wondering it's all. I wish you luck, but if you screw it up funcroc will add it to your resume.

Edited by Trebushido

BTW, Trebushido why are you using the same avatar as mine? :lol:

Don't you guys feel stalked sometimes? :lol:

I guess there's an Obsidian interal policy explaining to devs that if they use twitter funcroc will find them.

I should add that, if you're interested in designers being "well seasoned," Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has reportedly been doing some hands-on design work for DS3. He's been working on and/or overseeing CRPG design and production for over 15 years.

I guess there's an Obsidian interal policy explaining to devs that if they use twitter funcroc will find them.

I'm fairly certain there's a 2h briefing for new employees about funroc and how they shouldn't be alarmed if they feel like they are being watched. (No offence funroc, love you posts :) )

Hate the living, love the dead.

If they use toilet paper, funcroc will find them.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The developers probably think that those rustling noises coming from their garbage bins at night is just the wind or rats :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I think Funcroc is a psychic octopus.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein