Hi. I seldom play magic-using characters. Mainly because bearded guys in dressing gowns throwing fireballs is a bit meh.

In DS3 have you thought about going off-piste a bit with spells? I'm thinking maybe spells that allow you to use the environment offensively (a bit like the way you can use the suit in Crysis to throw stuff about) or mind control to control your enemies (I liked walking bombs in Dragon Age). Also, can you have a mage that doesn't look like everybody's vanilla guy-in-a-dressing-gown?

Lastly, a pack mule familiar would be the last word in cool.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I would love a game that didn't use the classic elements (Greek: fire, water, wind, earth, aethir) instead looking at a different system (for example Chinese: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water or Alchemy: Sulpher, Mercury, Salt (the tri prima of Paracelsus))

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I would love a game that didn't use the classic elements (Greek: fire, water, wind, earth, aethir) instead looking at a different system (for example Chinese: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water or Alchemy: Sulpher, Mercury, Salt (the tri prima of Paracelsus))

Some RPGs have magic systems which rooted to the world setting and, judging from what I read so far here, I guess there is a good chance to see such one in DSIII.

Yeah to tell the truth its been so long since I played Dungeon Seige, I honestly can't remember what magic was like there.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Like that's any better.

How about awesome and useful spells instead?

The magic in DS1 wasn't clearly divided into elements anyway. There were spells like Lightning and stuff, but there were no groups. In DS2, there were groups like death magic, and fire magic, but you couldn't see on the spell in which group it belonged, which sucked. I don't mind how they will call the groups (elements, or something else), but dividing spells into groups can add more tactics to the magic combat system.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Like that's any better.

Because its better than the typical fireball, ice cone, lightning bolt, rock toss type spells?

My idea is that if the creators don't have to fall back to the old standards maybe it'd cause some "outside the box" thinking in terms of spells.

Why "instead"? It's quite possible to have both magic systems tied to world settings and "awesome" and useful spells/special abilities. It's important to offer spells which increase tactical depth but, desirably, they find their places in the world setting like other factors such as classes and equipments.

There must be some rock, paper and shotgun scissors (and puits?) system like other factors but I wonder how it is implemented in DSIII. Of course, as Draganta pointed out, well-sorted out magic systems give players an overview, or a general idea on how it works rather than a bunch of stand alone spells. However, according to given info so far, especially the designers seem to go for the path of differentiating each class, I wonder if there are a certain magic systems which can be shared by multiple classes (In D&D, paladin, druid, cleric share the part of spell systems, for example)*. Nevertheless, even if magic systems themselves are exclusively specialized by each class, there must be be some underlying system which dictates rock, paper and scissors universally to each class (eg. Fire ball spell by wizard and fire storm spell by druid in D&D).

*Additionally, maybe, there are such factors like deity which add more characterization to a certain spell groups although, depending on game systems, ideological difference play greater role in dividing magic systems.

I dunno, I just like the idea of being able to (a) interact with the environment using magic and (b) make magic directly relevant to the situation you are in. By that, I mean being able to make curses where you choose the specific effect (i.e. a clumsiness curse, a repulsion curse, a plague of frogs...) and I really REALLY want to interact with scenery and terrain like a mentalist poltergeist on acid.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I dunno, I just like the idea of being able to (a) interact with the environment using magic and (b) make magic directly relevant to the situation you are in. By that, I mean being able to make curses where you choose the specific effect (i.e. a clumsiness curse, a repulsion curse, a plague of frogs...) and I really REALLY want to interact with scenery and terrain like a mentalist poltergeist on acid.
I have totally forgotten about making full use of modern engines. Diablo III, too, has something like freez-able enemies and breakable environment. It may be bit cliched now but, like FO:NV's explosions, probably, the players would like to have some toys to play with. :lol:

That's all well and good, but having sulfurball instead of fireball isn't exactly innovation.

Which wouldn't really be what I'd want, obviously. :lol:

Plus you'd have to account for every possible combination of spells (otherwise its not mix and match its "occasional additional effect - find what works!" system).

So basically we should be happy to get something along the lines of Diablo's magic system at best. It is a hack and slash, after all.

I have hope that we'll get something interesting and different though.

I thought that went without saying? You can have a different magic system that does squat in any game, or does something but requires you to sacrifice small goats every 3 minutes and isn't fun.

That's all well and good, but having sulfurball instead of fireball isn't exactly innovation.

That made me LOL... >_<

Assuming the action/combat is very fast paced with the typical hordes that tend to just charge right for you, complex or skads of spells/combos are often unused spells because they don't typically work well in those situations. I agree it'd be nice to have more interesting magic in the game, but well, we shall see. I'm happy with simple buffs/direct dmg/summon for action-rpg as long as the combos are engaging & fun to use against the given enemies. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That made me LOL... >_<

Assuming the action/combat is very fast paced with the typical hordes that tend to just charge right for you, complex or skads of spells/combos are often unused spells because they don't typically work well in those situations. I agree it'd be nice to have more interesting magic in the game, but well, we shall see. I'm happy with simple buffs/direct dmg/summon for action-rpg as long as the combos are engaging & fun to use against the given enemies. :)

My hope is that Obsidian can add considerable tactical elements through environment interaction and combos.

Like making an archway crumble to stop enemies.. things like that.

It's probably far-fetched, but then again, this game probably needs at least a couple of fresh features if they don't want it to be buried under the sea of action rpgs.

Alternatively, they could just balance the game perfectly and nail the action, though I'm still unconvinced.