I'm getting all nostalgic now...

Oblarg

My long-time WCIII clan just died from neglect, and now I'm getting all nostalgic for the game. There were some truly amazing things done with that game - the modding community was incredibly vibrant and supported by a gigantic playerbase. Sadly, it's all dead now.

Was anyone else around during WCIII's glory days? I can't be the only one.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'm not, because of this

Surely you can remember the days before the DotA plague? The modding community used to be fantastic.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Eh... It was but Dota was insidious and VERY fast to take root IIRC

There was a fairly long stretch before DotA gained popularity when a large number of really, really good mods were made.

There was a fairly long stretch before DotA gained popularity when a large number of really, really good mods were made.

That was probbaly before I REALLY got into online.... I do remember the Castle Defense maps with fondness.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That was probbaly before I REALLY got into online.... I do remember the Castle Defense maps with fondness.

I was thinking more of the Genesis of Empires era. Ah, back when games that required thought could actually be popular on bnet. I remember Battleship Command before all the lame ripoffs - now that was fun. Only good derivative map that was ever made from that was Tank Commanders, which was never particularly popular, sadly. There were other games, too - that clever Marine Survival game, for example. Good times, those were.

DotA actually came fairly late, thankfully.

My long-time WCIII clan just died from neglect, and now I'm getting all nostalgic for the game. There were some truly amazing things done with that game - the modding community was incredibly vibrant and supported by a gigantic playerbase. Sadly, it's all dead now.

I'm surprised you aren't too busy frothing at the mouth for Starcraft to be honest. Isn't the clan going to reassemble for that?

I didn't play War3's vanilla multiplayer but I agree that some of the mods were spectacular. I used to love 'The Seven Blademasters' and 'Hero Arena'.

I'm surprised you aren't too busy frothing at the mouth for Starcraft to be honest. Isn't the clan going to reassemble for that?

I didn't play War3's vanilla multiplayer but I agree that some of the mods were spectacular. I used to love 'The Seven Blademasters' and 'Hero Arena'.

Probably not, unless the (previous) leader makes Genesis of Empires 3 for SCIII. The clan sprung up around the guy who made the Genesis of Empires mods, which were utterly incredible in their complexity.

I have WCIII + Frozen Throne but believe it or not, I never played online.

I did, however, play through the WCIII campaign on HARD, and I've managed to do so without cheating.

The ONLY level I truly couldn't beat on hard was the very last one, Twilight of the Gods. I swear it's impossible. I gave up after dozens of attempts.

Because of that I haven't played TFT on hard. I refused to simply skip the level I couldn't beat, and then I stopped playing completely. D:

I was a W3 addict back in the day, I used to sit and watch replays endlessly when I wasn't playing myself. I'd imagine that the formula will be repeated when SC2 is released.
I added an "with" into this... BAD BRAIN BAD!

I have WCIII + Frozen Throne but believe it or not, I never played online.

I did, however, play through the WCIII campaign on HARD, and I've managed to do so without cheating.

The ONLY level I truly couldn't beat on hard was the very last one, Twilight of the Gods. I swear it's impossible. I gave up after dozens of attempts.

Because of that I haven't played TFT on hard. I refused to simply skip the level I couldn't beat, and then I stopped playing completely. D:

Yeah, Twilight was HARD. For giggles I put on cheats and found that if you wipe out the scourge base it'll instantly start Archimonde carging for the gate (basically ending the level).

One cute thing to not is that that, Culling of Stratholm and (of course) Arthas are all in WoW. Arthas you deal with after the events of TFT and kill his Lich King persona, Culling is literally a dungeon that you and a few others charge into that starts with you killing an army of zombies, then dealing with the guys who make you go there (dragons that mess with time) until you defend arthas while he and Mal'Ganis beat each other up. And Twilight of the Gods is a raid (a high level dungeon requiring 25 people) that actually has you doing the Ally>Horde>NE base movement as you defend against waves of creatures and kill all the bosses (then hold off Archimonde for the wysps to get him).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was a W3 addict back in the day, I used to sit and watch replays endlessly when I wasn't playing myself. I'd imagine that the formula will be repeated when SC2 is released.

Haha, same here! Watching a good WC3 replay is almost as fun as watching a good movie. Speaking of which, this one is a gem.

I loved WC3, but then DotA took over right as I joined the modding community. Oh well, at least some of my special effects made it into the current DotA build.

I've moved on to League of Legends, which is amazingly addictive. :)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I LOVE DOTA!

HoN is even better.

Although I've never actually played WC3 outside of DotA. I bought it for DotA.

still haven't tried HoN, but DotA was fun to play over LAN with a few mates

the Dwarven Sniper was hilarious for pwning people with

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!