Zero Punctuation: Alpha Protocol

He pretty much nailed it, criticism and all. Mike is always a smug bastard.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

In a sense it's interesting though.

You really don't influence Mike's personality during the game, but rather, his motivation and his actions (after all, is the dialogue really what Mike thinks? a manipulation?).

They could have chosen someone less.. uhm... well... smug for the role, though. :lol:

I found it interesting that the two gameplay elements he specifically singled out for praise were the skill-based system and the mini-games. And, yeah, am I weird for coming away from it thinking that it was -- overall -- a pretty positive review? I (perhaps incorrectly) got the impression he was implying at the end that he was going to replay it. Which is something of an endorsement in itself.

Edited by Ulicus

AP_ZP1.jpg

"All in all, Alpha Protocol is weak and poorly balanced like a 3-legged dog with an eating disorder." :lol:

For the most part, he seemed to like it. It's not often that he openly acknowledges finishing a game.

AP_ZP1.jpg

"All in all, Alpha Protocol is weak and poorly balanced like a 3-legged dog with an eating disorder." :thumbsup:

For the most part, he seemed to like it. It's not often that he openly acknowledges finishing a game.

He failed completely with that comment.

I didn't see this as a problem. Mike's sarcasm and glibness allowed him to remain relatively consistent despite the various dialogue options.

Unlike past RPGs, where you're often free to bounce through an array of wildly different responses like a Magic Eightball of multiple personality disorder, all three of the dialogue stances seemed like plausible facets of the same personality. Mike might be a smug bastard, but within that personality is the potential for a wide emotive range - you can picture a smug bastard going hardass or softening up, depending on the situation.

The alternative would be a relatively bland and occasionally bipolar blank slate (i.e. Commander Shepard).

A dull boy.

Yup, sounds pretty fair to me... although obviously with his brandmark overexegorating.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I didn't see this as a problem. Mike's sarcasm and glibness allowed him to remain relatively consistent despite the various dialogue options.

Unlike past RPGs, where you're often free to bounce through an array of wildly different responses like a Magic Eightball of multiple personality disorder, all three of the dialogue stances seemed like plausible facets of the same personality. Mike might be a smug bastard, but within that personality is the potential for a wide emotive range - you can picture a smug bastard going hardass or softening up, depending on the situation.

The alternative would be a relatively bland and occasionally bipolar blank slate (i.e. Commander Shepard).

I agree with you To. The. Letter. :lol:

Good review, really. :thumbsup:

I agree with you To. The. Letter. :lol:

Good review, really. :thumbsup:

I agree as well, I just hate the bastard anyway.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Sad thing is, that was a more accurate appraisal of the game's strengths and weaknesses than what most of the major American reviews gave. He didn't fall back on "clumsy shooting," in fact, he even praised that you had to skill up the guns before being able to use them effectively - he instead noted that the situations the game places you in makes it hard to work with the system in place, which was the real problem. The general surprise that he didn't rip the game to shreds in the comments is rather unfortunate, though. I guess it goes to show that as unreasonable he can be at times, Yahtzee is not one to jump on the hate bandwagon.

I thought it was a pretty good ZP. Quite funny.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

For Yahtzee, this is a very positive review.

If he didn't like the game, he would focus on its weak points - AI, animations, graphics. Let's face it - AI and animations are really ****ed up. Hell, he could've obliterated the game if he wanted. That's what he does the best.

He didn't mention any of these points AT ALL and focused on everything associated with the dialogue system - game's strongest point.

Yep. He liked AP.

Edited by Gorth
Circumventing the language filter
bo2honau2csr9e70g28.png

Reading the comments there it seems to be a sort of review that both haters and lovers agree with.

"I agree with Yahtzee. This game sucks. I am surprised that he didn't mention how badly the crosshair sucked though."

"I agree with Yahtzee. This game is actually pretty good."

But regarding Konstantin Bryko. There is another way for us heavy stealth and martial arts guys dealing with him than assault rifles. That's how I did it and I didn't have that good pistol skills. But yeah that's true that you have to at least one set of guns skilled out pretty nicely in AP.

Enough with the dancing clown.

Reading the comments there it seems to be a sort of review that both haters and lovers agree with.

"I agree with Yahtzee. This game sucks. I am surprised that he didn't mention how badly the crosshair sucked though."

"I agree with Yahtzee. This game is actually pretty good."

But regarding Konstantin Bryko. There is another way for us heavy stealth and martial arts guys dealing with him than assault rifles. That's how I did it and I didn't have that good pistol skills. But yeah that's true that you have to at least one set of guns skilled out pretty nicely in AP.

Well, Deus Ex was pretty hard to sneak by without having some points on sniper rifles.

I thought it was a pretty fair review. I must confess the plot lost me as well sometimes. I felt like you didn't spend enough time at each hub to fully understand the nature and purpose of each mission besides trying to stop Halbech.