Will DS3 have an engrossing story?

Obsidian, while creating better story-related games than most developers, have sometimes created less than stellar stories. NWN2, while adequate, didn't interest me overmuch. MoTB was much better, thankfully. Have not played K2 that much, but I hear the story in that is exceptional. SoZ just seemed boring to me. From what I've read of DS3, it seems to stand a fighting chance in that area. But, I read it won't be as dialogue heavy as NV, so I'm wondering if they will put an equal effort into the story. Thought?

I suspect that fact that there's less emphasis on dialogue will allow them to create a tighter, more coherent story.

Throwing lots of words at the problem isn't guaranteed to solve it.

As an example, take Deus Ex 1. Brilliant story. Few people would argue otherwise. Yet the basis of that story wasn't walls of text.

As an example, take Deus Ex 1. Brilliant story. Few people would argue otherwise. Yet the basis of that story wasn't walls of text.

I'd actually do. What I found really brilliant about Deus Ex was the world building and atmosphere, the story felt a bit disjointed at times.

But don't worry I still love you Krez. :lol:

But, examples aside, I agree on your point. The basis of a story doesn't have to be 'walls of text'. It obviously worked well on some games, but I think another approach can work as well.

Focus on the environment, on the details, on the subtleties and make just the little player need to understand the story mandatory.

That way you can keep the pace fast and satisfying, and still give story-driven players a meaty game for their tastes.

That's true. But from the articles I've read, the story is supposed to be VERY malleable. While that is a cool concept, will that translate into shallow, single playthroughs with characters with very little depth? I could be, and hope I am wrong. I want this to be a great RPG from Obsidian.

'walls of text'

*laughs*

That was terrible. The most annoying aspect of stuff like that, for me personally, is I can read the 'wall of text' 5x faster than it scrolls/is being spoken. Thank goodness most games let you press ESC these days. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

'walls of text'

*laughs*

That was terrible. The most annoying aspect of stuff like that, for me personally, is I can read the 'wall of text' 5x faster than it scrolls/is being spoken. Thank goodness most games let you press ESC these days. :thumbsup:

Yeah. You'd think reading fast is a good thing, but intros like this screw you over. :lol: