E3 first impressions

Hmmm, the information seems to be conflicting over the story aspect of the game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hmmm, the information seems to be conflicting over the story aspect of the game.

The only things we know for sure are :

1) It will be story driven.

2) It won't be as dialogue heavy as other Obsidian's game, while there will be bantering throughout the dungeons.

3) There will be choices & consequences.

This is all we got from the devs.

Yeah I've read that here - I just find it interesting how the gamesite previews have such disparate takes on the game (some that don't seem to match what the devs have said).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wow, that last preview just made the game sound really bad.

Hopefully it will not be as streamlined as they make it sound.

And.. important decision are still to be taken? Really? When the release date is apparently set in early 2011?

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. :ermm:

It's actually journalism. You can say exact same thing in different notes. That said, I think this one is probably the most skeptic from traditional western CRPG standard. Some skepticism are understandable such as balancing between action and tactical depth, free-roaming and focus on story, and accessibiltiy and deeper character customization but some others sound contradict to what other media reported.

Onyx engine: It has been being developed through Aliens RPG, too. Crafting: I myself think it would add more factors in balancing since the game is native to MP. Fire damage: Doesn't Archon have fire magic? Linear story: Story may be linear but isn't said that the player choice can change the course of it greatly? No "wrong" choice: Isn't is same as Alpha Protocol?

Camera options are three according to Chapman and they don't need to worry about the balance between coop and single player except the quality of AI of NPCs considering the drop-in/out coop system.

I'm in two minds about the vanity view thing. As some of you know, I'm a Company of Heroes addict and the zoom-in view is awesome... but I never use it. Hey, I guess it doesn't take up a lot of assets and would be in there anyway.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Gaming Bits: Top 10 impressions from E3 2010

#5 - Dungeon Siege III behind doors presentation

Behind Square Enix's E3 booth, Obsidian Entertainment was giving a little peek of its upcoming action-RPG for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, Dungeon Siege III. From what was shown, the graphics, lighting and gameplay all looked like an action-RPGers dream. Hopefully Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment will bring more screenshots and gameplay footage to the public soon. For now, I can tell you that it's looking like a richly woven fantasy (filled with loot) that you shouldn't miss, regardless if you've played any of the games in the Dungeon Siege series.

I'm in two minds about the vanity view thing. As some of you know, I'm a Company of Heroes addict and the zoom-in view is awesome... but I never use it. Hey, I guess it doesn't take up a lot of assets and would be in there anyway.

The vanity view is triggered only at some specific places to give you an idea of the landscape and of the path you're going to take. I'm not sure it's something you can activate whenever you want.

The vanity view is triggered only at some specific places to give you an idea of the landscape and of the path you're going to take. I'm not sure it's something you can activate whenever you want.

You're confusing things. Vanity view is for staring at your character.

Hopefully we'll hear about how the core mechanics work soon-ish. :ermm:

I believe the mechanics will be Hack and Slash in an innovative dual configuration.

Hack and Slash are are registered trademarks of Obsidian Entertainment.

Edited by Purkake

You can trigger the vanity camera at any time. :)

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Vanity view = ;)

I hated having to run up to walls and spin the camera around to try and get a close up look at my character & what they were wearing in other games... :):lol:

Seeing as how the title is still roughly a year away from release, it is safe to say that it’ll be a marvelous game to look at once it finally debuts in 2011...

Wait, What! A year? How long has Obs been developing this?

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Vanity view = ;)

I hated having to run up to walls and spin the camera around to try and get a close up look at my character & what they were wearing in other games... :):lol:

That's because you're not a real man.

REAL MEN AREN'T ASHAMED OF WEARING FUNNY HATS IF THEY HAVE POWERFUL STATS!

AS I DID IN DRAGON AGE!

ROAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Vanity view = :lol:

I hated having to run up to walls and spin the camera around to try and get a close up look at my character & what they were wearing in other games... ;):lol:

AS I DID IN DRAGON AGE!

ROAAAAAAAAAAAR!

I didn't need a vanity view to be impressed by the Dragon Age Funny Hats. :)

Vanity view = :lol:

I hated having to run up to walls and spin the camera around to try and get a close up look at my character & what they were wearing in other games... ;):lol:

AS I DID IN DRAGON AGE!

ROAAAAAAAAAAAR!

I didn't need a vanity view to be impressed by the Dragon Age Funny Hats. :)

The wizard hats in dragon age looked like condoms with teeth. Sorry to get all Dave Cronenbourg on yo' ass.

sonsofgygax.JPG