E3 first impressions

So does this mean that my husband can 'swipe' any of my finds I put in the inventory to use/sell himself?...I can hear the "where did my item-of-awesome that I was saving go??" arguments now... :lol:

Edit:I know it says class-specific items, but we have a tendency to want to play the same class.... :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On the other hand it must be very useful for things like potions and quest items.

Agreed. The concept is new to me personally...willing to try it. I might end up liking it quite a bit. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Looking at the reviews of the previews given by others..

WHAT? :ermm:

YES! Pre-Alpha version of the game that the journalists (pampered by Microsoft) didn't even get to play! Clearly calls for at least game of the show award or it's gonna be worse than all Uwe Boll movies combined.

Hate the living, love the dead.

YES! Pre-Alpha version of the game that the journalists (pampered by Microsoft) didn't even get to play! Clearly calls for at least game of the show award or it's gonna be worse than all Uwe Boll movies combined.
Well, if it looked promising.. besides, it was only a nomination.

Looking at the reviews of the previews given by others..

WHAT? o:)

I never said this game was going to suck, I was merely saying I am skeptical about it. Key word: I, as in me, not you, or anybody else.. as much as I would like to think that I speak for the majority of competitive gamers who are looking for games that require real skill to master, I don't.

Now, as to why I am skeptical about this game: Firstly, as much as I enjoyed the first game, seeing that there are now specific classes to play (from the looks of things, if I am wrong about this then please correct me) would mean that the player character is railroaded from the minute they pick their character to play. From this I would assume that the combat animations and play styles for each character would be very specific with no room for personalization. They'll space out your skills and offer different ways to different skills through leveling up, that is only natural.. but the overall feel of the character will remain the same throughout (again, my assumption).

Secondly: Well, I'm a pessimist.

Third: BECAUSE I CAN! :|

Granted, this is all without seeing what the new engine can do. If its able to offer a visceral combat experience that is unique with every encounter (ie, you don't use the same 3-4 attacks in repetition) then I will be the first one to get down on my knees and kiss the feet of the developers!

Meristation.com (Spanish) preview

and these tweets

"About to see #DungeonSiege3 - Excited!"

"Dungeon Siege 3 looks fantastic! It's no longer going for the Diablo things, and surprisingly more of a hack & slash 3rd person crawler"

"Yea it sounds scary & bad I know, but they allow you to adjust the perspectives. My favorite was the isometric angle like Dark Alliance"

"But speaking of BG: Dark Alliance, this is sort of a spiritual successor to that. As someone who LOVES those games I'm very happy."

i'm really excited to see a screenshot of how DS3 looks as from all the previews i've read posted by funcroc stated positive impressions towards the game.

however, i'm quite disappointed hearing that DS3 now was defaulted with the 3rd person over the shoulder view. in my opinion, all action action hack'n slash rpg should resemble the top down isometric view ala diablo 3 or sacred 2.

other than the issue mentioned above, i'm really looking forward the game as those e3 impressions really changed the way i think before.

i'm really excited to see a screenshot of how DS3 looks as from all the previews i've read posted by funcroc stated positive impressions towards the game.

however, i'm quite disappointed hearing that DS3 now was defaulted with the 3rd person over the shoulder view. in my opinion, all action action hack'n slash rpg should resemble the top down isometric view ala diablo 3 or sacred 2.

other than the issue mentioned above, i'm really looking forward the game as those e3 impressions really changed the way i think before.

Top down view is still present according to the previews, you can change the camera mode on the fly.

Top down view is still present according to the previews, you can change the camera mode on the fly.

But i dislike that the DS series evolved or changed the exploration that encourage 3rd person view over the shoulder ala Dragon Age. I'm taking it that Obsidian is trailing Bioware's Dragon Age where combat automatically switched to top down isometric view. That will definitely looks weird for a hack'n slash game.

But i dislike that the DS series evolved or changed the exploration that encourage 3rd person view over the shoulder ala Dragon Age. I'm taking it that Obsidian is trailing Bioware's Dragon Age where combat automatically switched to top down isometric view. That will definitely looks weird for a hack'n slash game.

Huh? Dragon Age didn't work like that.

You could choose what camera you were using.

Exactly as in this game.

Huh? Dragon Age didn't work like that.

You could choose what camera you were using.

Exactly as in this game.

What i meant was the exploration in Dragon Age were encouraged to be played on a 3rd person over the shoulder view so players could be further immersed with the details of the game world in a first person shooter view.

An action hack'n slash RPG game shouldn't be encouraged to be played with that view, just my opinion though.

What i meant was the exploration in Dragon Age were encouraged to be played on a 3rd person over the shoulder view so players could be further immersed with the details of the game world in a first person shooter view.

An action hack'n slash RPG game shouldn't be encouraged to be played with that view, just my opinion though.

Why? If the level of graphical detail permits you to make exploration immersive (or whatever the buzzword is now) why shoot yourself in the foot and give only the possibility for a topdown view?

Why? If the level of graphical detail permits you to make exploration immersive (or whatever the buzzword is now) why shoot yourself in the foot and give only the possibility for a topdown view?

I believe that view is not suitable for a party based hack'n slash. Imagine how would DS2 plays out with that view? Imagine how diablo plays out with that view? You be seeing and hacking monsters in front of you like you are playing TES: Oblivion and wouldn't be able to view all of your other party all in one view. Also, why would i be shooting myself on my foot if i think a first person view is not suitable for an action hack'n slash game?

The reason why Diablo has a locked topdown view is because players will be focusing in action hacking and slashing and not zooming in to a first person view looking onto how detail a monster look.

I believe that view is not suitable for a party based hack'n slash. Imagine how would DS2 plays out with that view? Imagine how diablo plays out with that view? You be seeing and hacking monsters in front of you like you are playing TES: Oblivion and wouldn't be able to view all of your other party all in one view. Also, why would i be shooting myself on my foot if i think a first person view is not suitable for an action hack'n slash game?

The reason why Diablo has a locked topdown view is because players will be focusing in action hacking and slashing and not zooming in to a first person view looking onto how detail a monster look.

Ok...

1) Third person. Not first person. It's not nitpicking, there's quite a lot of difference between the TES perspective and what Dragon Age (and apparently DSIII) are doing.

2) I managed to play Knights of the Old Republic (there wasn't the top down view in that game!) just fine, and it had party-based combat. So yeah, the game can be played like that, and even then, it seemed pretty obvious from the previews that the 3rd person/over the should option is more geared towards solo play.

3) A developer that spends a lot of time creating detailed visuals and then denies its players the option to look at this details through another camera mode, IS shooting himself in the foot.

And I'd like to stress out : they've already pointed out it's an option. An option. You don't like it? Don't play that way. It's just that simple. :lol:

I'll add Borderlands to that mix, which was even more Diablo-like than Kotor. 1st person hacknslash with guns, haha.

It worked with 2-4 people quite well, although it WAS annoying at times not being able to see the other player except when they were right in front of you. They used dots on the mini-map to let you know where they were, but it isn't the same as actually being able to see them...you easily lost track.

Edit: Also, Summoner was 3rd person (with a very wide view) with a campaign party+MP & it worked most of the time (there were some camera issues in some areas).

That said, while other viewpoints can/do work, for this type of game I do definitely prefer the top-down type of view or at least a wide 3rd person view ala Kotor.

Edited by LadyCrimson

We've actually found that just about half of the team plays in the top down camera, while the other half plays in the other camera. Don't worry, the level of detail suits both cameras.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...