Semi-auto

Semi-auto is a feature found on almost every assault rifle made (excepting some full-auto models I think).

Why then, with the only long range weapon in the game, are you stuck with burst fire? It makes it considerably more difficult to be parsimonious with special ammunition like subsonic.

Balance?

The Assault Rifle is extremely powerful (too much?) currently already.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Each weapon seems slated to fit a specific role with minimal overlap.

This decision seems similar to why SMGs only come in dual SMG format.

An assault rifle with single shot subsonic ammunition effectively makes a pistol with a silencer on it useless in the game.

An assault rifle with single shot subsonic ammunition effectively makes a pistol with a silencer on it useless in the game.

I beg to differ; pistols are great for shooting accurately from cover, non-lethal playtroughs and the chain shot is great for downing multiple enemies immediately.

Each weapon seems to try and cover all bases though, to sort of balance all situations for each class.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I guess it was attempt to make all weapons types distinctive enough.

AR good for long range, but not for suppressive fire. SMG good for suppressive fire, but not at long range, pistol good for silent kills at medium/short range, etc...

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

If you make the case that such accuracy at range would detract from the pistol, they could always scale the assault rifle's skill cost up (if it was going to be the "best"). As is, pistol and AR already outclass the shotgun by a fair margin, which is just too situational to be as useful.

Maxed pistol has pretty crazy range on it's critical hits, and you can make them from cover without risking your hide. Chain shot would allow you to line up.. what... up to 7 critical shots at leisure with time stopped? The AR doesn't even come close to that sort of power.

AR is the only true "long range" weapon, but late skill-level, the pistol can handle criticals at... 40 meters I think, which is more range than pretty much everything you'll be shooting at in the game.

The AR crits require you not be in cover, possibly as a trade-off for the range?

In any event, the part that's especially annoying, is that the game tracks your accuracy, and there's the deadeye perk for being over 90% I believe. The SMG and shotgun already present serious issues as far as missing. The assault rifle can line up a super accurate headshot, but since you can only fire in burst - 2 out of 3 bullets hit nothing after the first kills the guy.

I ask the question because of balance... right now, the scales are tipped heavily in favor of the pistol.

Not disagreeing with you there... the pistol IS overpowered as is...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Just as stealth skill, pistol is only really good if fully focused on. Otherwise it's just good for occasional chain shot spam and stealth critical at close/medium range.

As for its ordinary shoot & fire use, it's probably the worst weapon. Low rate of fire at close range, bad accuracy at long range (exempt if you skill it to the end to increase critical range). Which is not so bad, since you are never really limited to single weapon. And any other weapon (even with 0 skill) can help when under pressure while chain shot is cooling down.

Pistol is really good for stealth builds. It complements they weak spots (boss killer chainshot), and their strong points (critical hits with silencer, quick room kills with chain shot).

But when playing soldier character, I would probably pass it, and take shotty or SMG as secondary weapon to swiss kn... I mean Assault Rifle, to increase close range deadliness.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

I agree. The number of wasted shots is, in the end, staggering and it makes it hard to pull off those sniperesque moves. Even as a stealth character, it'd be nice if another weapon aside from the pistol was even remotely useful.

That, and it pisses me off that it counts every shot past the killing shot as a miss. Kill a bad guy or a training dummy in one shot? Well too bad, because those other two shots are going to be written down as misses and influence your overall stats.

This is especially annoying in the weapons orientation. At least to me.

t50aJUd.jpg

I beg to differ; pistols are great for shooting accurately from cover, non-lethal playtroughs and the chain shot is great for downing multiple enemies immediately.

Each weapon seems to try and cover all bases though, to sort of balance all situations for each class.

Assault rifles are effective from cover too. Just not quite as much as they don't have an ability that makes their crosshairs show up when in cover.

Weapons are NOT jack of all trades. Pistols are the close range, more stealthy option (shoot from cover better, has tranq darts). Shotguns are **** you up from close range. SMGs are spray and pray copious amounts of badguys, and assault rifles are for longer range shots.

I'm not taking special abilities into account, but rather the general mechanics of using each weapon.

These sort of design choices would have been fine if the game hadn't been set in the modern world. Right now it just feels silly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

These sort of design choices would have been fine if the game hadn't been set in the modern world. Right now it just feels silly.

Design oversight maybe? Could be they were just pressed for time and had to cut out alot of stuff regarding weapons, but left their main intention; the modding of weapons.