@Manx: I never assumed that they wanted to move all of the hardware from that location. I could think of many scenarios where all that stuff in the warehouse makes sense.

Just as an example: It could have been just a data server hub and not a base of operations/stronghold, so there wouldn't be a need for on site intel agents, at least not for 24/7. It being heavily guarded would make sense then. The heli could have been there because they there prepping a bodyguard team that was supposed to fly in additional hardware and a intel team for maintenance reasons.

Or it might have been a server hub that was in the process of being converted into a temporary base of operations for a planned operation in that region. Or whatever.

Of course maybe the techs that turned into NVG Ninjas just couldn't wait until office hours were over and kept the heli there so that they could hit the nearest strip club as fast as possible. Or indeed for the pizza ;)

So yeah, I agree that in the we just don't know enough about the circumstances and about G22's MO in general. But I have not so much problems with Tapei/warehouse since like I tried to line out there are enough likely scenarios where all of that makes sense, even though of course there are just as many scenarios were it doesn't. It's just being left in the open.

I have more problems with the embassy mission but like I said that one doesn't seem make sense no matter what even if you side with the VCI.

What I also have a problem with is for example is the air strike at Braykos Mansion. I mean that whole thing is stylish as hell and put a grin on my face that would have made the Cheshire cat envious. But from an analytical standpoint it really wouldn't fly at all no matter how one looks at it. And there's really not much room left open to speculate.

I mostly played as a professional/"hard to read" type of Mike and he and Albatros got along just fine - I reached +10 with him. In the playthrough I'm now on I've also started to befriend him - I just like that guy too much :(

But the next time I'll definitely have to antagonize him, that really sounds interesting.

Edited by Rimat

I presumed Albatross actually gave Sis the St George pendant and that is why he gets upset about her giving it away, and that the implication was that she was literally his daughter. It also fits pretty well with some other observations- she's the only G22 person he gets really upset about you killing, for example, as opposed to, say, Mina's attitude towards civilians.

I actually wondered whether G22 might be an Alpha Protocol equivalent from a different agency with a different agenda, of the sort AP -> CIA G22 -> NSA, or even another country; FSB -> G22 would (1) make me laugh, and (2) would explain their agenda in things like getting to Surkov or Lazo quite nicely (though not their accents, of course). There's no particular evidence to back that or any other theory up, of course, except them having resources more or less equivalent to other groupings like AP/ VCI/ DV etc that do have backing despite having to (presumably, if they're genuinely rogue) keep their recruitment and activities very quiet.

Edited by Zoraptor

@Rimat

That's my entire point: as it stands, it takes an almost ridiculous amount of conjecture and guesswork to make G22 to make even some sense. In every mission, the Taipei warehouse included, they do things that, while cool, just make you scratch your head whenever you think about it. The combat missions can essentially be chalked up to "it looks awesome, that why it's in the game", which I can roll with, but for some reason the warehouse really rubs me the wrong way. I think it's because it actually shows you what goes on behind the scenes at G22 - and that's when you can tell that the organization, as written, is a flimsy facade hiding a core of confusion and lack of logic.

Oh, being a bastard is fun in its own way. I really like to "buck the system" in any RPG that I play, to see how far you can push the game world and the NPCs before they push back. So far, the most impressive experience was in Jade Empire. The memories still make me misty-eyed...

What I also have a problem with is for example is the air strike at Braykos Mansion. I mean that whole thing is stylish as hell and put a grin on my face that would have made the Cheshire cat envious. But from an analytical standpoint it really wouldn't fly at all no matter how one looks at it. And there's really not much room left open to speculate.

One could say the same about plenty of other things, so it's best not to get too caught up in the ridiculousness of some of the elements. For instance, a full-blown assault on ANY embassy (particularly the US embassy - but the same applies to any embassy) in downtown Moscow would work quite a bit differently than shown in the game. While Russian law enforcement and troops wouldn't be allowed to enter the grounds of the embassy (it's considered US territory, after all), within minutes of the start of the assault the grounds would be surrounded by Russian police backed up by the local SWAT equivalents cutting off any enemy reinforcements (such as the second wave of troops during the courtyard fight). Civilians should be spotted running to and fro (there are always a few staffers working even late at night). And aircraft would be up in the air patrolling for things like the helicopter that drops troops into the upper level of the embassy.

But the rule of cool applies, and therefore the niggling details get ignored for the most part because of that.

@Manx: I see your point. Just a matter of personal preferences then I guess, I just don't mind it so much if it's being left in the open. But yeah here's hoping for a sequel with more G22.

@junior: True dat. And like I said it had me grinning all over son it's not like I hated like scene, on the contrary.

"Tango 3, tracking boogeys" => "woosh, woosh, woosh" => courtyard full of corpes => me grinning like an incarnation of the Cheshire cat ;)

I assume G22 is related to "G19", one of the former iterations of Alpha Protocol.

In fact, in much the same way Alpha Protocol agents are "rogue" I imagine that G22 agents are "terrorists". I think it's pretty telling that Leland has never even heard of them (assuming you decide to tell him that you were working with G22).

I mean, we know from the Veteran's background that there are other agencies "not unlike" Alpha Protocol that work for the Government. Maybe Alpha Protocol is simply the nineteenth such agency. Maybe there's also a G20 and G21 that now operate under different titles, much as G19 goes by the name Alpha Protocol during the game.

Edited by Ulicus

Oh, yeah. The excellent writing in Alpha Protocol really shines through when you actually get the cold, always-in-control Albatross to swear personal vengeance on you. Considering what you have to tell him, I honestly can't blame the man. :(

That excerpt of hiper cruel sticking-the-finger-in-the-wound by Mike (or by MCA :p) is downright scary.

I don't think it's so weird to think G22's purpose is to preserve status quo. Perhaps they stabilize the world so another allied agency/government can debalance in its favour. They seem better suited to gather intelligence and do covert ops than full scale world-changing missions. It doesn't fully add up but might be plausible.

I think it's pretty telling that Leland has never even heard of them (assuming you decide to tell him that you were working with G22).

He doesn't? I never told him anything about the embassy attack. I did, however, notice that he used the exact same words to describe G-22 that SIE did - "like ghosts" - which led me to believe that he might actually know something about them.

He clearly doesn't know who Sis is, though. At one point he mentions that you made an impression on a certain woman without initially identifying the lady in question (it's SIE), and gets confused if you mention Sis as a possibility.

I suppose no one try to make connection between G22 and 'G19' appear in Alpha Protocol dossier?

If we line up G19, Deus Valt, Alpha Protocol and G22, we can substitute Deus Valt and Alpha Protocol with G20 and G21.

That is, assuming G22 is set up to erase Alpha Protocol and replace it afterward, in case it screw up. Or better yet, Helbach doesn't have full support in the white house, and G22 is set up to screw up the operation and replace it.

I'm still on my first playthrough and I've mainly allied with SIE/VCI because I don't really trust G22. I know that the VCI works with Halbeck and they're paid to do so which seems pretty straightforward; thus they are predictable in that fashion. (BTW, driving through the gates of Brayko's Mansion with a Stryker is pure awesome in my book, despite my focus on stealth). I just don't get why a group like G22 who, as SIE said "are like ghosts (but die like insects)", are so willing to attempt all-out assaults such as at the Embassy. About the only time I saw them pull off a proper ambush was on the yacht (minus their failure to eliminate Mike, of course).

I suppose no one try to make connection between G22 and 'G19' appear in Alpha Protocol dossier?

You mean like I did four posts before yours? No, not at all. :p

You mean like I did four posts before yours? No, not at all. :p

I get skippy when I read the last page :)

But you didn't point out Deus Valt and Alpha Protocol could be G20 and G21 :p

If we line up G19, Deus Valt, Alpha Protocol and G22, we can substitute Deus Valt and Alpha Protocol with G20 and G21.

That is, assuming G22 is set up to erase Alpha Protocol and replace it afterward, in case it screw up. Or better yet, Helbach doesn't have full support in the white house, and G22 is set up to screw up the operation and replace it.

Errr..even the whitehouse doesn't know about Alpha Protocol...also you mispelled Halbech, and I messed up mispelled.

To be honest some missions and choices make no sense at all..

Ex. (make sense) If you provide evidence to Sung about the riots, he says you drew the conclusion of an assassination out of that, and together with his stubborn personality doesn't wear a vest..

(doesn't make sense) If you provide evidence about the assassination, he wears a vest, but is too dumb to trust an agent that saved his life and provide additional security (simply put, gives a rats ass about his ppl and that's not what his character is about)

Why? So you make a CHOICE..

In Taiwan.. They obviously have their own security since Sung can deploy them to stop the riots. But why is then CSP there? Because Omen Deng deployed them? Why? Actually he is a double agent and wants to stop the assasination. But how can he explain to CSP why he went to Sung's speech? To protect Sung from a possible assasination? Because they would be a prime suspect and they don't want to deal with possible USA response? Thats the only explanation I've got.

If not that? So you make a CHOICE..

The embassy mission. You ally with one organisation (VCI vs G22) and the other attacks the embassy. Why? Because they found out sth that gives them motive to take out Surkov.. But if they ally with you, actually YOU ally with them, suddenly they trust you and apparently stop whatever would have given them info to attack and they get tricked by Surkov along with you.

Why? So you make a CHOICE..

I love some things about AP, but story and logic isn't one of them..

Edited by NightShadow