Assistance with Vista Problem

I'm running Vista and my problem is this: The game runs fine, no problems whatsoever, until I try to actually play. I create my character, watch the opening scene, then the program stops responding. I've tried to run it in compatibility mode for both Windows XP and Windows 2000 and neither of them worked. I've read that the mss32.dll switch has worked every time, however the all the links to the download on filefront are no longer working. Does anyone know where else I could download this file? Or would it be possible for someone to send it to me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Apologies for the double post, I can't seem to find the edit button...)

I managed to find a mss32.dll file after a LOT of digging around different sites, but it didn't work. At all. There were also several other fixes on that site that did no good either.

I have a Windows XP operating system disk from my old laptop (which doesn't work anymore, sadly), would I be able to install that on my laptop made for Vista or would there be hardware compatibility issues? The old one is an HP while this one is Compaq so I don't see any problems with manufacturer specificness. Perhaps I should install it onto an external hard drive?

ANY help here would be appreciated as I'm really grasping at straws at this point.