Where are the dev responses ?

Since the game came out there have been a lot of support sent Obsidian's way. Many of these were written by the more discerning, and intelligent fans who truly appreciate the RPG genre.

However, I've seen little written by the devs themselves regarding the game in the post release period(aside from that infamous anonymous rant by an ex-employee)

Even the Bioware devs post more frequently, and they are supposed to be the big, impersonal corporate entity (and they act like that in many ways especially when it comes to patches).

So, what's going on? I understand the usual excuse that they have a lot of things baking in the oven right now, but that still shouldn't prevent them from a little blurb somewhere about their reaction to the game's reception. Wasn't Matt supposed to submit pictures of the beard-shaving process and mail out clippings to lucky fans ?

Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough? I wouldn't mind if someone pointed me to some more dev responses in the post-release period.

Or is it the case that AP is a game that they would rather forget about sooner rather than later? :unsure: That would be a shame considering all the goodwill they've been getting from their more discerning fans.

My guess is an all-around NDA until SEGA figures out what's up.

*sigh* Whatever. Hopefully their lips get looser during/after E3.

$20 says they're developing "AP2" which won't be called AP2 just like how Dragon Age: Origins wasn't called Neverwinter Nights 3.

$20 says they're developing "AP2" which won't be called AP2 just like how Dragon Age: Origins wasn't called Neverwinter Nights 3.

Uh, Dragon Age: Origins is the "spiritual succesor" to Baldur's Gate, not NWN. They prolly named it differently because Baldur's Gate is an old game, doesn't have the most approacheable title and Bioware's audience these days already forgot there was a golden age of CRPGs. Dragon Age: Origins is just as marketeable as a name gets...

So i wouldn't be so fast with the betting :lol:

I doubt there'll be an AP2 with a different name. There's either an AP2 or there isn't. I don't know why there wouldn't be a sequel, sales don't seem so terrible and all complaints are fixeable. Like Kane & Lynch. What would be troublesome is a dumbed down ME2-like sequel.

Edited by zkylon

Uh, Dragon Age: Origins is the "spiritual succesor" to Baldur's Gate, not NWN. They prolly named it differently because Baldur's Gate is an old game, doesn't have the most approacheable title and Bioware's audience these days already forgot there was a golden age of CRPGs. Dragon Age: Origins is just as marketeable as a name gets...

So i wouldn't be so fast with the betting :lol:

I doubt there'll be an AP2 with a different name. There's either an AP2 or there isn't. I don't know why there wouldn't be a sequel, sales don't seem so terrible and all complaints are fixeable. Like Kane & Lynch. What would be troublesome is a dumbed down ME2-like sequel.

Don't tell me you bought that "spiritual successor" line? :p I think he meant that the game plays out, feels like, and has an almost identical engine as NWN 1 and 2, hence NWN 3.

Don't tell me you bought that "spiritual successor" line? :p I think he meant that the game plays out, feels like, and has an almost identical engine as NWN 1 and 2, hence NWN 3.

Just pointing Bioware's explanation of the name. They purposedly said it was Baldur's Gate instead of NWN's spiritual succesor. I'm betting that's because they want to make a separate NWN3. It's easier to create a "new IP", tell fans that it's the spiritual succesor of a beloved game of theirs and at the same time avoid discouraging newcomers that "wouldn't understand the story". Naming it NWN3 would be better for sales, so why mask it?

In any case, i doubt Obsidian's bad luck with AP will end up with them risking it on making a "new IP" like Beta Protocol or Alpha Procedure or Super Spy Dragon Space Marine Sword whatever :lol:

Don't tell me you bought that "spiritual successor" line? :* I think he meant that the game plays out, feels like, and has an almost identical engine as NWN 1 and 2, hence NWN 3.

Just pointing Bioware's explanation of the name. They purposedly said it was Baldur's Gate instead of NWN's spiritual succesor. I'm betting that's because they want to make a separate NWN3. It's easier to create a "new IP", tell fans that it's the spiritual succesor of a beloved game of theirs and at the same time avoid discouraging newcomers that "wouldn't understand the story". Naming it NWN3 would be better for sales, so why mask it?

In any case, i doubt Obsidian's bad luck with AP will end up with them risking it on making a "new IP" like Beta Protocol or Alpha Procedure or Super Spy Dragon Space Marine Sword whatever :p

I think they wanted to break away from the DND setting and make an original IP (more money for them, for one). And the whole "spiritual successor" thing, I'm sure they did it both for marketing purposes, and because they probably deluded themselves into thinking the game was just THAT good.. heh.. not to badmouth Bioware (it is one of my favorite gaming companies after all) but they did go over the top with bragging rights on that one... creating expectations are probably great for selling games, it's also great for disappointing people. I enjoyed DA, played it through maybe.. 2-3 times - But I won't be remembering that game for anything in particular. AP, however, already has some epic win moments that I will remember fondly... so..

Hah yeah, like you said, I won't be holding out for an "Omega Protocol" either though :p

However, I've seen little written by the devs themselves regarding the game in the post release period(aside from that infamous anonymous rant by an ex-employee)

Even the Bioware devs post more frequently, and they are supposed to be the big, impersonal corporate entity (and they act like that in many ways especially when it comes to patches).

It seems to be a combination of "style" and various NDAs. Chris Avellone speaks more through his blog account than the forums. And Nathaniel Chapman is much more present now that his game has been announced. Must have been a NDA that he was afraid of breaking by accident :p

Y'know, having a PR guy right now would be a good thing. :p

Come back Matthew, we love you :* !

I doubt there'll be an AP2 with a different name.

Why not? The organization the game is named after changes name every four or five years anyways!

I think they wanted to break away from the DND setting and make an original IP (more money for them, for one). And the whole "spiritual successor" thing, I'm sure they did it both for marketing purposes, and because they probably deluded themselves into thinking the game was just THAT good.. heh.. not to badmouth Bioware (it is one of my favorite gaming companies after all) but they did go over the top with bragging rights on that one... creating expectations are probably great for selling games, it's also great for disappointing people. I enjoyed DA, played it through maybe.. 2-3 times - But I won't be remembering that game for anything in particular. AP, however, already has some epic win moments that I will remember fondly... so..

Hah yeah, like you said, I won't be holding out for an "Omega Protocol" either though :)

I just want Alpha Protocol 2. No DLC, no spiritual successor, just a proper, sequel. More of that beautiful reactivity and more Deus Ex nostalgia.

I seem to recall them posting a lot more when they were making KoTOR II.

I think it's an overall change in the way the gaming industry works. All info now comes strictly through official PR channels (and I sort of can see why, I mean at last year's e3 the Bioware Doctors let out that ME2 was on 2 discs and the amount of squad members etc... few people caught on and it was really spun by the respective PR departments into "they were talking metaphorically"). Iz big biznezz, and the information flow (apparently) needs to tightly controlled. No more friendly chats with the rabid, preordering fan(boy)s.

I blame Bobby Kotick. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I seem to recall them posting a lot more when they were making KoTOR II.

I think it's an overall change in the way the gaming industry works. All info now comes strictly through official PR channels (and I sort of can see why, I mean at last year's e3 the Bioware Doctors let out that ME2 was on 2 discs and the amount of squad members etc... few people caught on and it was really spun by the respective PR departments into "they were talking metaphorically"). Iz big biznezz, and the information flow (apparently) needs to tightly controlled. No more friendly chats with the rabid, preordering fan(boy)s.

I blame Bobby Kotick. :p

To be honest, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the industry changing.

I was reading the 'Darth Nuke debate-thing' when Oner linked it today, and well... near the end of the thread there was already one guy complaining about lack of communication with the devs.

5 (6? I don't remember the date :p) years ago.

This has more to do with the fact that there are about a couple of Obsidian devs that interact on this forum on a regular basis, J.E. Sawyer, Joseph Bullock, Alvin Nelson, Nathaniel Chapman and uhm.. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

Note also that a lot of devs involved in Fallout : New Vegas post on the Bethsoft forums on a more or less regular basis, so it has more to do with this forum than devs posting in general.. :p

kirrotu and Serrano: Thanks for erecting and dismantling those straw men that have nothing to do with why I started the thread.

Where on earth did I say that devs are required to post out of a sense of entitlement?

Posts like those two remind me why I cut down on forum usage, and is probably the real reason why the devs stay away from forums.