A sad announcement

That is too bad. I can remember him from the old BIS boards. As there and here he's always been a unique personality and he will be missed.

RIP

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What the ....?

Oh jesus.

But we were chatting on personal message and he seemed in great spirits. I mean I had a weird feeling something was up, which is why I sent him the parcel of books. But I never really considered him actually dying.

I know I used to dust up with him in arguments, but I always thought he was a better man than he thought he was. Which in a way is the best description one can hope for.

I'm actually very sad about this. Perhaps not because I knew him that well. But because I thought I'd wind up knowing him a lot better.

I think I feel the same way.

I feel happy for him though - he made a conscious effort to improve his lot in life before this happened. Decided to take life by the horns and such.

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse.

When you're chewing on life's gristle

Don't grumble, give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps

Don't be silly chumps

Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd

And death's the final word

You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin

Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death

Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of ****

When you look at it

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.

You'll see it's all a show

Keep 'em laughing as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the right side of life...

(Come on guys, cheer up!)

Always look on the bright side of life...

(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)

(I mean - what have you got to lose?)

(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.

What have you lost? Nothing!)

Always look on the right side of life...

Thank you, everyone for your responses and kind words.

We haven't learned precisely how he died, but given how he'd been feeling the afternoon beforehand our best guess without hearing from his family is that his kidneys failed.

Llyranor, that bit you've done with Mike's avatar is beautiful. Would it be possible to get a copy at my email in the OP? If it's scalable, something that would go well at the top of a standard printed page (not the whole page, just across the top) would be wonderful. His Mr. Bean Sith avatar really summed him up well and I think it would be very well received with his friends.

And believe me, I truly wish that this were some kind of mistake or bad net joke. But it's not. Mike was often an argumentative pain in the rear with a sense of humor that made minor deities do a 'wtf' double take, but he was never cruel.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I wish I would have read the forums and posted more often. I did not even notice Mike's thread in Off Topic. As someone who used to weigh 380 pounds I feel a certain kinship with him and wish I would have been around to provide support and encouragement.

My condolences to his friends and loved ones.

I was wondering where Visceris was and I thought "I hope he's not dead".
Then, was he Visceris/Doomsayer/Hades-One? Then, he may have irritated/annoyed some people but, as far as I can remember, he didn't hurt someone seriously. Indeed, he occasionally got on the nerves of even designers (J.E.Sawyer was an easy pray when he was younger), though. Thinking of that, not so many people took him seriously... However, on this occasion, I must make an exception. RIP.

@the OP, thank you for informing this to us. Juggling my hobbies, I'm kinda on and off when it comes to browsing but World Cup and E3 made me spot this news. I didn't exchange many words with him but he wasn't rude to me and I believe he wholeheartedly loved this one of his hobbies, which we happened to share.

Jesus...f***, I know I don't really post here in any of my accounts, but I lurk, and Visc was one of a handful of names I remember from way back in BIS days. I hope that he is know wherever he wanted to be after death, and that he is at peace.

Edited by Keturah

On behalf of everyone here at Obsidian, our condolences as well. If he was Visceris/HadesOne, I'll have to say I got a lot of good laughs from him over the years, even if some (many? :shifty:) of his words were directed at us in Black Isle.

May he rest in peace.

-Darren

That's very sad.

Visc always seemed like a good guy and he was a fun poster. It will be strange imagining the internet without him.

My condolences too all who knew him well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm not really sure what to say. RIP Michael.

:shifty:

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Very sad indeed. We have all lost a friend we did not even really know we had. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Ironically it would have irritated him to no end to have read me saying that!

We'll miss you Sand.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Feel free to post the obituary when it shows up. I'd appreciate it.

I think many of us would appreciate this, if it were possible. Thanks for raising this possibility mkreku.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Still gutted about this. Re-reading the old threads it's clear he wasn't a well man, seriously so. But you just don't expect anything sudden, do you?

I actually spent the best part of the afternoon hoping this was a hoax, but finally accepting it isn't. What a bloody mess.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Llyranor, that bit you've done with Mike's avatar is beautiful. Would it be possible to get a copy at my email in the OP? If it's scalable, something that would go well at the top of a standard printed page (not the whole page, just across the top) would be wonderful. His Mr. Bean Sith avatar really summed him up well and I think it would be very well received with his friends.

Actually, that was me.

This should fit a standard A4 sheet though it will depend slightly on your printer so it might have to be scaled down a tad.

Hadesbannercopy.jpg

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Nooooo. I'm actually crying right now, and I almost never cry.

Mike and I have been friends for so many years. He's a good person, who once downloaded a massive patch for me when I was on dial-up, and mailed it to my home. He's been so upbeat and positive the past few weeks, I was so damned proud of him.

I can't believe this. I just can't believe it.

Mike... god, I'll miss you so much. RIP, dear one. RIP.

Rest in peace Visceris, Hades_One, 6 Foot Giant Rabbit, Sand, Michael, or whatever other Alt that's been used all these years.

His posts have always been entertaining.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle