Will DS3 possess specific classes to choose from?

Since I never played the previous DS (not sure if Obsidian will even follow the same gameplay path), I was wondering if that game would have specific classes to choose, just like Diablo 2 or Sacred 2 for example, you know with specific trees/aspects or if you would possess the freedom to build your character by picking the skills you wanted.

I hope for some specific classes, I always liked that genre.

I hope they keep the original class system. You should try out DS1, one of the best action-rpgs on the market. There aren't reall classes, you have 4 types of weaponry which you can train. You can make your own classes by combining them. For example: level 40 melee fighting + level 40 archery was a Crusader in DS1.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

For example: level 40 melee fighting + level 40 archery was a Crusader in DS1.

... And only half as powerful as a character that had gone pure melee, or pure archery. :unsure:

Nope, that is the case in DS2, but not in DS1. If I was gone pure melee, I was maybe 8 lvls higher (dont feel like extracting the exp values with the siege editor right now for exact numbers). But now I can shoot from range, and when they get close, my sword, shield and plate armor comes in action. True, the damage is lower, but I have more survivability = more up time = more damage over time.

DS2 has skill points, and when you go 2 classes, you need to spread the skill points into the two trees to make them both effective, so you won't be able to reach the high end skills.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

I really liked the system in Titan Quest, where there were not pre-built classes in the Diablo sense, but rather the skill mastery tree/s you chose to put your points in would define what you were. Probably because it allowed you to dual-class and I've always liked being able to dual-class. Even if dual-classing makes you "weaker" than a single class, I find it more fun/more flexible. Altho this may be influenced in part because I also like to solo/single play so much, vs. multiplayer where you can rely on other ppl to back you up. :lol:

Also, such skill/class systems mean I don't end up with two or more character of those "classes" that I never play because I don't like them. ie I don't want to be a hulking muscle-bound Barbarian warrior so I'll never use him. Again, in Titan Quest, their system gave me a lot of re-playability because I could spend so much time experimenting not only within a Mastery tree (ala Diablo2), but by combining all the different Masteries together.

Dungeon Siege1 was different than TQ, but its system did allow me to dualclass, in a fashion. But having to remember to switch skills all the time to level them up efficiently was a pain, so a different method than that would be desirable. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

... And only half as powerful as a character that had gone pure melee, or pure archery. :lol:

Nope, that is the case in DS2, but not in DS1. If I was gone pure melee, I was maybe 8 lvls higher (dont feel like extracting the exp values with the siege editor right now for exact numbers). But now I can shoot from range, and when they get close, my sword, shield and plate armor comes in action. True, the damage is lower, but I have more survivability = more up time = more damage over time.

DS2 has skill points, and when you go 2 classes, you need to spread the skill points into the two trees to make them both effective, so you won't be able to reach the high end skills.

That's an admirable defence of the system, but I don't buy it (not when even the devs advise against multiclassing in-game because it weakens your char), nor do I notice any difference between experience+skill the system across DS1 and 2? If anything, DS2's implementation of powers allows for slightly more powerful multi-classes than DS1.

Titan Quest's system WAS pretty fun, but I doubt we'll see it used. :(

Edited by Krezack

... And only half as powerful as a character that had gone pure melee, or pure archery. o:)

That's an admirable defence of the system, but I don't buy it (not when even the devs advise against multiclassing in-game because it weakens your char), nor do I notice any difference between experience+skill the system across DS1 and 2? If anything, DS2's implementation of powers allows for slightly more powerful multi-classes than DS1.

Titan Quest's system WAS pretty fun, but I doubt we'll see it used. :(

In DS1, they encouraged multiclassing. In DS2, they advised against it. The reason why DS2 multiclass isnt good is what I said before: you will lack the higher skill points, like increased damage, more armor percentage and the kick ass melee powers, when going dual. In DS1, you didn't have skill points. In DS1, you even had bows that increase strength and melee damage, or swords that increased ranged damage and armor.

- DS has packmules!