Alpha Protofail.

Where to begin.

Maybe I should start with the positive things I endured while playing.

The setting is really good.

okay, onward with the bashing!

I'm sorry to say but this game fails on so many levels it makes Kane and Lynch look good. For some reason it's so heavy on my laptop I get frame freezes every time something happens. An explosion, new enemies etc. Even on 480x320 I had these frame freezes. I admit, I'm playing this on my laptop but that laptop can run StarCraft II on 1900x1200 with medium to high so...

The core of the game is pretty good, it's just too bad that the gameplay is horribad. Like I said the frame freezes are annoying but still I continue playing because of the setting and story. I became a spy, a pretty good one at that. Not that that's hard with an AI more badly programmed then the alien ships in Space Invader but still, it was okay... allthough most of the challange was pretty much gone.

Well except for the boss battles.

Serious, who thought of that? I can kill super commando's with one shot but a mute girl with 2 laserguided revolverblasting machine gun takes 6 shots in the head? Come on, say goodbey to a part of the setting. Allso this is pretty anyoing when you're just a spy with a pistol, cause you cant get the critical aim because she has to machine gun shooting revolvers with laser guides on them... But still I keep on playing.

I can overlook all these things, have a good time and say, well what could I expect from Obsidian?

But.

After being bugged in a trainyard for some time I took on another mission. I had to go in the russian (?) Ambasy to save some guy. Okay, so in I go. Everthing is going pretty well, I find the guy. He tells me the gates are closed and I need to open them, sure brah. Just got the courtyard and I'll get us out of there. So eventualy I cleared all the bad guys (most of them were staring at walls so...) and I get to the front door.

And then all hell breaks loose. I mean serious hell, like even moar hell then the landing of D-day.

The guy I saved and who was shaking scared like a 5 year old kid who just got candy from a guy in a van, was now running outside facing 6 or 7 armored commando's with machine guns. While he is still holding his pistol close to him.

Ofcourse my screen laggs for a large part of a second but I manage to storm out on the coartyard with him,

Try 1. He dies after 5 seconds, trying to beat a commando with his pistol.

*loading screen of 55 seconds, yes I counted.

Try 2. He manages to get some cover while I draw my pistol on the baddys, but they move so fast and the screen keeps lagging making the critical aim more of a challange then walking with 6 beer in your hands in a gay bar while wearing assless pants. So i die.

Try 3. Again, he mangages to get some cover and we kill some of they're guys. I switched to machine gun. But then on of the more smartypants commando throws an grenade towards us. True spie that I am, I roll away, killing 2 more guards in the process and thinking "damn, i'm badd ass" but ofcourse my "partner" decided he wanted to go to virtual heaven. Maybe too look after his pet dog and decided "**** this, i'm not running from my awesome cover" and he eats the grenade.

Try 4. He dies after trying to headbutt a commando.

Try 5. You know what? I'm not going to try again.

I'm just gonna SHIFT DELETE this game. Never too boot it again, I have defended it a few time on other sites and against friends but all I can say now is that this game is even worse then Kane and Lynch, and that game was pretty horrible.

Obsidian, it's too bad you guys were pressed to release this. If you could finetune it this would have been a great game but now it's too painfull and horrible too ever have seen the light of day.

Also I did also not like Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic 2.

(btw, I'm Dutch so please overlook some grammer errors I may have made).

Edited by Alucardu

Kane and Linch was a good decent game but gamers that wanted it to be super easy said the contrary like happens with AP.

Edited by Alpha

Kane and Linch was a good decent game but gamers that wanted it to be super easy said the contrary like happens with AP.

I have no idear of what you just posted. Games wanted Kane and Lynch to be easy but it turned out hard? And with AP gamers wanted it to be hard but it's easy? Well both games have problems with AI.

Well, delete it, what your waiting for

It's allready deleted, but I can still post my opinion on the game.

AP need a boss like the Bulldozer of Kane & Linch j/k.

Dear Lord in Heaven, that brings back some horrible memories. Not as bad as when you try to save your daugher on the dock...

AP need a boss like the Bulldozer of Kane & Linch j/k.

Oh **** no! :) That was such a horribly designed battle. Had the shooting mechanics been better and the hit detection been improved, hitting that idiot through the windshield may not have been so annoying in the narrow time that they gave you. However, it was horribly frustrating.

And why the hell did IO decide to turn the game into a horribly controlling GRAW clone halfway through. What a tedious crap fest, to say the least. The bank stuff, the club stuff, etc. I could deal with the awful mechanics and issues with the design since the scenarios were cool. But then they ditch what made K&L interesting and turned it into the biggest pile of crapola ever.

Wait...you start your complaint by saying the game is near unplayable on your computer? That may be the root of your game play issues.

Seriously, your complaints have nothing to do with the game and everything to do with how it runs on your PC. That is the peril of playing PC games.

Serious, who thought of that? I can kill super commando's with one shot but a mute girl with 2 laserguided revolverblasting machine gun takes 6 shots in the head? Come on, say goodbey to a part of the setting. Allso this is pretty anyoing when you're just a spy with a pistol, cause you cant get the critical aim because she has to machine gun shooting revolvers with laser guides on them... But still I keep on playing.

Ofcourse my screen laggs for a large part of a second but I manage to storm out on the coartyard with him,

Try 2. etc, etc..

About the boss battles: it's a RPG, it's normal that bosses aren't whimps. It's not a shooter.

The save Surkov mission is pretty easy, just use martial arts and don;t let htem to close to Surkov, first time I made it easy.

Oh maybe don't play it on a laptop and change some things on the ini files to get a better framerate

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!

The "save Surkov" mission is brutal when you're not expecting it and don't prepare for it >_< I failed a lot, and finally decided to restart the mission over, this time preparing my gear carefully :

--- I bought more tranquilizing rounds to remain true to my non-lethal playthrough

--- I bought flashbangs

It's those that made a big difference : huge area of effect, I just threw them and then got close to do take-downs on the enemies. Some traps on the way to Surkov's cover place helps too, in case an enemy manages to get to that point.

Edited by Sannom

Wait...you start your complaint by saying the game is near unplayable on your computer? That may be the root of your game play issues.

Seriously, your complaints have nothing to do with the game and everything to do with how it runs on your PC. That is the peril of playing PC games.

This!

Definitely something went horribly wrong in Obsidian's hardware compatibility testing department...

I mean - it's not easy to test the game on all possible hardware & software along with those all filthy, never properly cleaned OS and drivers not being upgraded since WWII. But on the other hand - most of the Unreal Engine games had similar compatibility problems...

Nuff said that most of fixes for any Unreal game are also working for AP.

P.S. About OP complaints - don't like it? Don't play it. Haven't seen a single game without some people complaining about bugs. And you? From such complaints you can't even say is it majority or minority - as people having problems are more likely to post it on forums than people who could flawlessly play the whole game.

Besides - who's playing games on laptops? o:)

Edited by Tigranes
Angry angry hippos

I really recommend flashbangs. They hit a crowd, take off pressure, and if you're fast you can run in front of guys and do the quick poking people in the neck move to take them out. Plus they're cheap. And work on bosses.

My first playthrough was recruit/hard mode and I found that really stressful myself and there was more than one place where I had to reload many times over. Though half of that could have been avoided if I had known the area and prepared probably (and discovered flashbangs sooner).

My second playthrough was veteran/easy and I found that I actually enjoyed that a lot more. I wouldn't say combat's the game's strength (though I think the martial arts is pretty fun, at least on easy mode, haha) but I do have a big love for the other stuff (like characters).

On the other hand, in both playthroughs, I think I only had the game crash once which is amazing.

Err, long story short, I know you're sayin you won't reinstall it but I say, in case you ever do, just turn down the difficulty and smell the roses and you might find a better experience.

There are fixes for the mouse stuttering issues. I recommend you look at the PC support forums.

As for the protect Surkov battle, it can be tough if Moscow is the first city you tackle. There is an easy solution. Before the mission buy intel that will leave a sniper rifle on the roof of the embassy. When you get to the part in the courtyard, don't go out the front door. Instead make your way to the 2nd floor to the roof. The rifle will be there along with a nice wide view of the courtyard and enemies. Snipe away.

There are some decent reply's in here. Gladd to see this has a more mature auddiance then the Blizzard forums. For the people who say "play on a pc", my laptop runs well enough to play to the game. There is just something wrong in the code somewhere that makes it stutter when loading in new events.

Maybe i'll try the game again when or if there are any patches to be released.

My first playthrough was with pistols, and I did Moscow first. Never had a problem with Surkov (against G22, if that matters).

Of course that was 'normal', not 'hard'...

The battle was over before I had even noticed it started o:). And no use of the sniperrifle.

Just make sure they keep their distance, since melee damage seems to be higher than ranged damage (not to mention their acc. isn't perfect).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You don't to exit from the front door to defend Surkok, i always use the stairs to use the door to the roof where the sniper is. Once there you can snipe the enemies or defend Surkov . Melee combat is not recommended if you are playing in Hard...believe me that mission is a pain in the *** if you try it that way. Melee in normal or easy is a piece of cake.

I don't think you can blame your laptop on Obsidian!

Regarding the other stuff, as others have said, get some flashbangs or level a particular weapon skill and take advantage of it. With a decent chain shot and brilliance, both the Sis and embassy fights border on being too easy.

Try 2. etc, etc..

About the boss battles: it's a RPG, it's normal that bosses aren't whimps. It's not a shooter.

The save Surkov mission is pretty easy, just use martial arts and don;t let htem to close to Surkov, first time I made it easy.

Oh maybe don't play it on a laptop and change some things on the ini files to get a better framerate

Hey I play on a laptop and AP rocks ass on my system!

Then again, I am running a gig of dedicated memory on my GeForce 240 GT (A little old but still a workhorse). Four gigs on the laptop alone.

AP runs pretty much at 60 FPS on my rig, with a little slowdown but that is more the game with the small hiccups it has at times.

Yeah, I can't agree with the "play it on a desktop" guys in here. My laptop probably blows quite a few desktops out of the water.

Edited by Darkeus

Hey I play on a laptop and AP rocks ass on my system!

Then again, I am running a gig of dedicated memory on my GeForce 240 GT (A little old but still a workhorse). Four gigs on the laptop alone.

AP runs pretty much at 60 FPS on my rig, with a little slowdown but that is more the game with the small hiccups it has at times.

Yeah, I can't agree with the "play it on a desktop" guys in here. My laptop probably blows quite a few desktops out of the water.

True - it's just that most of those cheap laptops on the market have many bottlenecks when it comes to gaming (like pretty powerful processing power but crappy GFX etc). Also - many mobile versions of chipsets have slightly lower capabilities than their desktop equivalents. Add to it overheating and powering issues - very common, when people don't know how to handle their laptops properly - and you have your answer.

Besides - logic behind such complaints is wrong. If the guy said "I'm getting such and such score in 3DMark on my laptop and still the game runs crappy" - yeah, that would be some viable opinion against game optimisation.

Hell - most laptops have better hardware capabilities than X-Box (amount of memory pool as an example)?

Short answer: something greatly hogs OP's system if for him AP runs worst than bad.

This thread is retarded.

Any game suffering performance issues due to the computer is going to be horrible to play. You should review a bunch of recent releases, it would be pretty funny:

"#1... This game sucks ass because it keeps freezing up"

"#2... another game that sucks ass because it keeps freezing up"

"#3... Guess what? Another game that sucks ass because it keeps freezing up"

There is just something wrong in the code somewhere that makes it stutter when loading in new events.

Would this "stutter" occur after loading a new area and consist of lower resolution textures being uses for a few moments? Because, if that is the case, that's a feature of Unreal 3 to get faster load times and not a bug.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The issue with laptops is more issue with computers that don't run game perfectly.

The truth is, if frame rate in this game is not stable 60, there will be shutter when moving mouse. Specific ini tweaks are needed to remove it.

Also, even those tweaks haven't helped when I tried to play this game on machine which gets only around 22fps average, with occasional drops to 10fps. Whenever frame rate drops below 20, shutter when moving mouse gets even worse (as if mouse got some super fast acceleration!!!). To fix that, you also need another ini tweak (removing mouse smoothing in APInput.ini), so that game could actually behave as good as many other games that run at barely playable frame rate (10-20fps), instead being utterly unplayable.

^And this is all, without taking in account shutter that can happen during background loading (which also messes up mouse controls, by moving camera widely), either from textures or level data (although other part can also be minimized with ini tweak).

Still, the core issue here is that mouse controls gets disrupted anytime frame rate isn't perfect, either constantly from playing on weaker PC, or for fraction of second, when loading background data, and I just hope it gets properly fixed in some patch.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

This thread is exactly the reason I became a console gamer. I no longer have to worry about checking the specs each time I buy a new game. If it says it can play an XBox 360 game, then I'm good to go.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)