DS3... PS:T's spiritual successor?

I don't know. DS is *kind of* on the entire opposite side of the RPG-spectre.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Really doubt it. This has all the press attention of an AAA project, it's an established franchise, with an already established fanbase, it's being developed with co-op and action in mind.... doesn't really look like PS:T, not even being broad with the definition of 'spiritual successor'.

There's nothing to suggest that DS3 will be a continuation of that tradition.

But if Funcroc's right, then the team behind DS3 is more or less the same team behind Mask of the Betrayer, which is as close as we've gotten to a PS:T spiritual successor. It all depends on where the creative team wants to go. Maybe they will have decided that the PS:T tradition is best kept within the D&D setting.

But if Funcroc's right, then the team behind DS3 is more or less the same team behind Mask of the Betrayer, which is as close as we've gotten to a PS:T spiritual successor. It all depends on where the creative team wants to go. Maybe they will have decided that the PS:T tradition is best kept within the D&D setting.

Exactly my point, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

I guess it really depends on what you consider 'PS:T successor', I don't doubt it will be story-heavy (all Obsidian games except Storm of Zehir have been), I just doubt that the story and dialogues will be the focus as much as they were in PS:T which is what I'd consider fundamental for calling a game 'PS:T successor'.

Now, if MotB is for you a PS:T successor (it was in story, no doubt, but it was also a fundamentally different experience for me) then yeah, it could very well be. :shifty:

Fair enough - the combat experience will certainly be different to PS:T. Probably comprising a larger portion of the game.

So a PS:T successor with good combat? Dear God, that might just be too great.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The stuff I want to see make a return from PS:T is, really:

-> High quality philosophical writing. No reason why we can't have this, like in K2 and MotB.

-> Use of setting. The game's appropriation of Planescape's language and setting was absolutely amazing, the game lived and breathed the setting in every moment. There's not much to 'live and breath' in the setting at the moment, but I'm reasonably sure they'll be doing a big rehaul/upgrade of that anyway, so...in dialogue, in characters, in items, in art direction - I think if we can have a game that does this, it'll be great.

The stuff I want to see make a return from PS:T is, really:

-> High quality philosophical writing. No reason why we can't have this, like in K2 and MotB.

-> Use of setting. The game's appropriation of Planescape's language and setting was absolutely amazing, the game lived and breathed the setting in every moment. There's not much to 'live and breath' in the setting at the moment, but I'm reasonably sure they'll be doing a big rehaul/upgrade of that anyway, so...in dialogue, in characters, in items, in art direction - I think if we can have a game that does this, it'll be great.

Agreed! There was more, of course, but these two might just be enough on their own to make the game great!