Think Twice?

Well for me i am usually subscribed to game informer and about i guess a year or 2 ago game informer ran a cover story over it detailing it and at the time i really had no idea about what they where talking about with the timed talking bits and stuff, but not until recently did i really get interested. I happened to be in a gamestop not too far from where i live and they where running a ad about the Assault Pack i think it was called, and i got to looking and asking some people in the store about if they preordered it and i ran into one guy who had already payed for his in full, and i decided to as well once i looked a bit at the things they where running on it in the gamestop tv they have set up. Also, being a ps3 owner, and that being my only console of current gen, it reminded me somewhat of splinter cell mixed with a mass effect sort of dialog system, and since kotor and kotor 2 where some of my favorite games (The bioware to obsidian connection) and being the fact that i could not play splinter cell conviction nor the mass effects i decided to preorder it. However when i got home i started reading some of the bad reviews that sites had given it already before it was even released and i started to be kind of wary of it, but i still got it and when i got home, put it in the ps3, half expecting a horrible game as they said it would be, i was amused to find one of my favorite games period. Ive honestly not played hardly anything else over the last weeks since its release. An awesome game

An Obsidian fan on another forum posted his eagerness for the release of the game. He put up link which lead to me to watching the developers talking about Alpha Protocol and playing the drinking game at the same time. lol

The game intrigued me enough to want to give it a whirl.

Bought simply because the people at Obsidian have made games that I have enjoyed since the Black Isle days. Didn't really nned any other reason.

Halbech seems close to either Microsoft, or the Bush Administration

Halliburton/ Bechtel seems almost certain to be the inspiration for the name. So yeah, basically the Bush administration (ohohoho).

It also seems obvious to me that Shaheed is OBL (Osama bin Laden) when talking about defeating the West with its own weapons.

Al Samad=Al Qaeda.

Bear in mind that AP is fiction and any resemblances are purely coincidental = Plausible Deniability. LOL. o:)

I just beat it yesterday, left the room smelling like cat piss and tuna :alienani:

"Let's take a walk on the wild side"-Jack Nicholson(Anger Management)

I heard about the game pretty early, was a wee bit skeptical at first. Thought something like "Okay, a mass effect style spy-game... we'll see" (coming from a background of mostly fantasy rpg's like baldurs gate/iwd etc. I guess the genre didn't suck me in immediately) Then the bad reviews started pouring in and I face-palmed abit I must admit.

I've followed Obsidian since their first game and it has always seemed they've been plagued by the same problems, lacking graphics and clunky or glitchy gameplay - that you soon forget and forgive because the story draws you in and makes it worth it. I've always though Obsidian would own Bioware if only they had some more cash (for extra development time, bug sweeping etc.) and more artistic graphic designers. So, anyway, I almost didn't pick up the game. Then I read a few other opinions on the game, on other sites, granted all the big sites like IGN and Gamespot hacked the game to pieces, but even in those reviews, the story and dialogue system was praised.. so I thought, Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I remember being veery confused during the first hour or two of AP. I couldn't for the life of me find anything wrong with it, in fact it was kinda awesome? Felt just as good and polished as ME1 had felt the first time. So.. yeah. I was impressed, probably because my expectations had been shot to (steven) heck (omg pun!). After two playthroughs, I realize the game has some issues (AI, some minor glitches, one or two bigger ones) but really, nothing to warrant such a major thrashing that the game received on some sites...

just like always, Obsidian wins me over with awesome dialogue, deep characters, awesome sense of humor and a good solid story that offers alot of freedom and epic win moments. Like I said in another post, I consider this game Obsidians finest game to date. (mask of the betrayer was EPIC though... but AP feels, more fresh and inventive in so many ways)

I heard about the game pretty early, was a wee bit skeptical at first. Thought something like "Okay, a mass effect style spy-game... we'll see" (coming from a background of mostly fantasy rpg's like baldurs gate/iwd etc. I guess the genre didn't suck me in immediately) Then the bad reviews started pouring in and I face-palmed abit I must admit.

I've followed Obsidian since their first game and it has always seemed they've been plagued by the same problems, lacking graphics and clunky or glitchy gameplay - that you soon forget and forgive because the story draws you in and makes it worth it. I've always though Obsidian would own Bioware if only they had some more cash (for extra development time, bug sweeping etc.) and more artistic graphic designers. So, anyway, I almost didn't pick up the game. Then I read a few other opinions on the game, on other sites, granted all the big sites like IGN and Gamespot hacked the game to pieces, but even in those reviews, the story and dialogue system was praised.. so I thought, Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I remember being veery confused during the first hour or two of AP. I couldn't for the life of me find anything wrong with it, in fact it was kinda awesome? Felt just as good and polished as ME1 had felt the first time. So.. yeah. I was impressed, probably because my expectations had been shot to (steven) heck (omg pun!). After two playthroughs, I realize the game has some issues (AI, some minor glitches, one or two bigger ones) but really, nothing to warrant such a major thrashing that the game received on some sites...

just like always, Obsidian wins me over with awesome dialogue, deep characters, awesome sense of humor and a good solid story that offers alot of freedom and epic win moments. Like I said in another post, I consider this game Obsidians finest game to date. (mask of the betrayer was EPIC though... but AP feels, more fresh and inventive in so many ways)

I, too, found that much of the criticism is unwarranted. Yes, there are some minor bugs. No, none of them are gamebreaking and most of them are simply graphical. I've run into one or two that involve reactivity, but even with those the game's reactivity is far beyond that of any other RPG I've played recently. The shooting is better than ME1, and the graphics are better than DA:O - oddly, neither of those games were trashed for having the same issues AP does.

I think the review that is most consistent with my experience of the game is the 1up review (which gives it a B+).

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's a nonlinear RPG in a contemporary setting, with viable stealth and nonlethal gameplay, no magic/force powers/biotics/psychic nonsense, designed by Chris "The only music I love is the sound of Fallout fans roasting over an open flame" Avellone of Planescape: Torment. So this is the only game I've ever preordered, because it's the only game I've ever felt was made specifically for me.

Though I have to admit, I'm still ambivalent about the game, and I spend way too much time trying to reckon whether my present enjoyment is because the game really is that great, or if this is just a case of cognitive dissonance produced by the preordering.

A dull boy.

Oops, wrong section sorry.

Edited by Sparta

"Let's take a walk on the wild side"-Jack Nicholson(Anger Management)

It had Spies in it, Chris Avellone and it was an original IP. Also its Obsidian. One of the only companys that actually excels in something and doesn't try to streamline their games.

Well that warranted the buy.

As soon as I loaded up the game was done with the beginning (which remembered myself of ME2 which is funny since there is no way that that is anything else then a conicidence since ME2 was released not even 4 months ago)(Again, funny fact the opening that for some reason is generic HERE and critized is not critizized openly in ME2), had my talk with Westridge where I learnt to love the conversations. The rest was one great hommage of the spy gerne.

Warranted beeing one of my favourite games of all time.

I just finished my third playthrough. This is the only recent RPG I can remember playing through three times consecutively without losing interest.

So, in short, this game is great, and the reviewers can go **** themselves.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies