Original IP RPG became DS3 or....?

When Feargus was interviewed by GameBanshee some months ago he mentioned that an original IP fantasy RPG was in development at Obsidian and to wait for the announcement. Did that project become Dungeon Siege 3? Did it used to be some other IP (such as "Baldur's Gate") but got switched between IPs during initial core tech development? (when it is easier to do so) Is there still an "original IP" fantasy RPG in the works at Obsidian?

Inquiring minds want to know, especially in light of Brad Wardell's (Stardock) tell-all about the horrors of Atari accounting putting the kibosh on Master of Magic 2 sequel after everything had been worked out with their corporate and legal teams (why their upper management didn't kick accounting's ass over it, I will not understand). It makes me think that a game like Baldur's Gate 3 *could* have been made by Obsidian (D&D 4E probably, though, *sigh*) but collosal pricks at these IP owning companies (Atari/Hasbro) are messing it up for the fans.

Did it used to be some other IP (such as "Baldur's Gate") but got switched between IPs during initial core tech development?

Small question. How would that be an "original IP"? o:)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Does Dungeon Siege even have a setting? Or a story people care about? It could easily be about the same as an original IP.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The characters, story, and setting of Dungeon Siege can be summed up as "You! Go there!" without much loss of detail. I had a point, but I've forgotten it.

... so how does this fit with Obsidian again?

Oh well, the good news is we're not going to get any overzealous fanboys complaining about this one. "Dungeon Siege in name only!"

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The characters, story, and setting of Dungeon Siege can be summed up as "You! Go there!" without much loss of detail. I had a point, but I've forgotten it.

There was a lot of setting detail, or I guess world background, but it wasn't in the form of information dumps through talking to a wide variety of people in a bunch of different towns all over the place. It was instead put in books you could easily choose not to read.

This doesn't mean that is how DS has to continue, and could easily use the world background as a basis for creating something more realized than the original.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man