RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

http://kotaku.com/5596568/new-dmca-rules-s...-iphone-is-okay

DMCA changes, It's now legal to remove drm so you can find things like security problems, and to make sure it doesn't swallow your HD.

So now DRM is slightly more useless than it was before!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Is there a good kicking off point into getting into comic books? When I hear people talking about it, it seems like so many characters have died then come to life in some reincarnation, I really have no idea where to begin.

Unless you really want superhero comics, there's much better stuff out there than anything from Marvel or DC. CrossGen for instance has some brilliant fantasy/sci-fi/detective/samurai/sword & sorcery comic book series, that all form part of one big grand design storyline.

Hasn't CrossGen gone out of business though? Not sure if they got to finish their storyline or not (I was never too impressed with their titles myself, they were a bit uneven).

But there certainly is a lot of good stuff out there. There is even some brilliant superhero comics out there. Look at Ellis and Millars runs at The Authority for instance.

I can also recommend Marvels Ultimate line, especially Ultimate Spider-Man. Brian Michael Bendis is absolutely brilliant and it doesn't carry as much backstory as the originals. Although there is a bit of backstory there now as well since they've been on the market for a while.

If you want to go after less mainstream stuff, there is always Preacher and the absolutely amazing Kabuki. All of the above are published by Marvel or DC by the way (although Kabuki was self-published for a long time, only the latest iterations have been under Marvel, and it's still all about David Mack).

But any Marvel stuff by Bendis is pretty much guaranteed to be good. And he writes a lot of Marvel's stuff.

Hasn't CrossGen gone out of business though? Not sure if they got to finish their storyline or not (I was never too impressed with their titles myself, they were a bit uneven).

Well CrossGen did go out of business.

All of their assets/IPs were bought by Disney.

Disney recently bought Marvel.

Marvel just teased at Comic-Con International they were reviving CrossGen's titles.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Marvel just teased at Comic-Con International they were reviving CrossGen's titles.

Now that is good news. Hopefully they hire original CrossGen writers/artist and the unfinished stories can end like they were intended. Or at least the big climactic storyline that ended with a cliffhanger due to banktrupcy.

But any Marvel stuff by Bendis is pretty much guaranteed to be good. And he writes a lot of Marvel's stuff.

Bendis' Elektra & Alias series are very good. I also like his Avengers - he did the Civil War + Secret Invasion + Dark Reign plotlines that were pretty earth-shattering for the Marvel Universe.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Huzzah. Hope it's not just you. I know the Ultramarines get fluff love, but now they're at Primarch level ? :shifty:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huzzah. Hope it's not just you. I know the Ultramarines get fluff love, but now they're at Primarch level ? :)

I was about to say 'The Emperor Provides', but it is an action game :shifty:

There is so much fluff to love, yet they chose the poster guys (again). Is the entire gaming world filled with munchkins with inferiority issues?!?

Hey Relic, how about a nice roleplaying game some day? :yes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Huzzah. Hope it's not just you. I know the Ultramarines get fluff love, but now they're at Primarch level ? :)

There is so much fluff to love, yet they chose the poster guys (again). Is the entire gaming world filled with munchkins with inferiority issues?!?

There is that Fire Warrior game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There is that Fire Warrior game.

Yeah, I rememeber that one. I even tried it. Thats why I gave WH40K computer games a wide berth ever since.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bendis' Elektra & Alias series are very good. I also like his Avengers - he did the Civil War + Secret Invasion + Dark Reign plotlines that were pretty earth-shattering for the Marvel Universe.

I personally disagree. Bindis is to much of a worshiper of his favorite characters for me to enjoy him. Also he wasn't at the head of Civil War, that was Millar from Ultimates. He DID do the House of M, where nothing happened for two issues. Bindis, if left to his own devices for long enough, is Christ Claremont again, where he drops hints left and right and about the future and will bring them into being... a LONG time later. His story telling is also so decompressed that it's not fun to me, EVERYTHING taking 4-6 issues to be done, even if it's a simple story, he'll pad it out with an argument, or a silly little aside featuring his characters, just to fit that 6 issue arc he aims for.

Also:

http://kotaku.com/5597038/valve-bans-moder...e-left-4-dead-2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was about to say 'The Emperor Provides', but it is an action game :lol:

We have 5 games (expansions included) with the Blood Ravens and only 2 with Ultras tho. 3 with Fire Warrior.

I was about to say 'The Emperor Provides', but it is an action game :lol:

We have 5 games (expansions included) with the Blood Ravens and only 2 with Ultras tho. 3 with Fire Warrior.

The last fun WH40k game I played was Chaos Gate (yes, with the Ultrasmurfs in an x-com lite clone). Unfortunately I lost the box when moving from one place to another way back :)

Considering the currently outrageous pricing of blu-ray media I wonder if they aren't painting themselves into a corner, where ssd's might be cheaper and more reliable, or even better, a return of the good old "game cartridge"?

Edit: Sort of happy that I didn't go on a spending spree on blu-ray titles. Still too few region free titles / multi region players around.

Considering the currently outrageous pricing of blu-ray media I wonder if they aren't painting themselves into a corner, where ssd's might be cheaper and more reliable, or even better, a return of the good old "game cartridge"?

Edit: Sort of happy that I didn't go on a spending spree on blu-ray titles. Still too few region free titles / multi region players around.

O_o

I have ~100 blu-ray titles, and I'd say 90 of them are region free. The overall ratio might not be that good, but it must be at least 75 %. That's still better than the <1 % DVD had. :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In the last year or two, I've noticed a big drop in Blu-ray prices. In the US they are usually only $5 more than regular DVD. There are also a lot of them that sell combo packs, which are ideal for me. Basically I've got the Blu-Ray to play at home, and the DVD which I can throw in the kids room/car/RV. It's perfect for all the Disney movies that get a lot of play time.

So kinda hoping it doesn't get dropped too soon. It's a bit disturbing that Sony, who really has a lot to do with Blu-Ray being somewhat successful, is already moving on.

So kinda hoping it doesn't get dropped too soon. It's a bit disturbing that Sony, who really has a lot to do with Blu-Ray being somewhat successful, is already moving on.

Not really, no. As they said, any viable consumer application of the tech is years away. Just keeping the R&D going is smart.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the BD vs. digital downloads things. You have to remember that the IP holders are still maintaining a chokehold on most territories outside U.S. We have no hulu, no movie/tv itunes etc.

Not really, no. As they said, any viable consumer application of the tech is years away. Just keeping the R&D going is smart.

PS4.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I was about to say 'The Emperor Provides', but it is an action game :ermm:

Well true enough, it'd have been cool if it were something like GR but with Space Marines (maybe a Deathwatch game is more suited for that). As for an RPG, well I dunno about Relic handling that, but it would be nice to see at least one set in the 40k universe., I agree. The gameplay seems to cry out for the Wolves, looking at it again :ermm:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

PS4.

True, true. Of course, the limiting factor in the current gen is the x360 with its DVD drive, so I have serious doubts re the amount of ps3 games that need to cross even to the dual layer BD size of >25gb, never mind needing more than the 50. Of course, if they actually put some RAM in the next gen of machines...