RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

WoW there's some hope that Ubi will anounce new Herores of Might & Magic game.

As far as I know it was quite a while in production.

I really like Heroes V, with addons it was even better for me than Heroes III, especially in Hot Seat.

(The only game that I can play with my girlfriend, what makes it even cooler experience)

Edited by PoetAndMadman

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Looks interesting. I don't know enough of Todd Farlane's work beside Spawn, which I found interesting (artwork I mean), but then again I only saw the movie. He seems talented enough.

I read some of Salvatore's earlier Drizzt books. Sure it's not the pinnacle of fantasy, but they were fun reads. Isn't he credited with creating drow history and culture? I suppose it's considered trite now, but it must have been something fresh and interesting back when he first came up with it. Hope he came up with something interesting for this game.

I'm not too sure about the lead designers all from the Oblivion/Morrowind background. Hopefully the game won't devolve into your character traversing the land and just killing everything in similar environments over and over again. I'm sure there were more interesting quests, but I was bored a few hours in for both games and never finished. Fallout 3 was better, but for all the interesting places that were in the game, it mostly came down to killing everything in that location. I remember going to several interesting buildings in the game that I thought would have interesting NPCs that would give me quests or otherwise let me handle the situation in interesting ways, but most npcs just attacked on sight forcing me to kill them.

So Darkspore.. also known as Spore, the action rpg? :lol:

EDIT : And another American McGee's Alice.. wow.. excited.. *yawn*

ANOTHER EDIT! : They're apparently showing Realms of Idontremember : Reckoning, though since the premiere is at Comic-Con, the 22nd, so they're asking the journalists to turn off the cameras. Oh, and they showed a poster. Looked World of Warcraft-ish.

They also showed a couple of screenshots. Human had realistic proportions. Everything else didn't.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

i would prefer an hd-remake of system shock 2. same great game, new graphics.

i would buy that in a second.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I hate remakes.

cmon really?

the monkey island remake was awesome, particularly because of the one-button toggle between classic and remake graphics.

a system shock 2 done that way would be kick ass

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I read some of Salvatore's earlier Drizzt books. Sure it's not the pinnacle of fantasy, but they were fun reads. Isn't he credited with creating drow history and culture? I suppose it's considered trite now, but it must have been something fresh and interesting back when he first came up with it. Hope he came up with something interesting for this game.

Gygax himself created the drow, Ed Greenwood fleshed them out.

Salvatore only created Drizzt, the first 'good' Drow.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I hate remakes.

cmon really?

the monkey island remake was awesome, particularly because of the one-button toggle between classic and remake graphics.

a system shock 2 done that way would be kick ass

Really. It comes from my dislike of consuming any kind of media (with a storyline of some sort) more than once, so from my point of view they are a waste of time. I'd be perfectly happy if they put all that stuff on Good Old Games with a Windows 7 compatible installer/wrapper.

I'm not aware that Ken has reused his past work.

He wrote Thief, System Shock 2 and Bioshock. They all have some pretty obvious narrative similarities (

Initial quest giver = ultimate bad guy, mid game twist that BioWare has been trying to match and failing for the past decade, strong politico-philosophical undertones etc

).

SS3 was under development a few years ago (with no Irrational/ Levine involvement), but John R canceled it pretty much as soon as he got in the door.

ok fair enough, replaying games/re-reading books are some of my favorite pastimes so i guess im just different :shifty:

strangely enough I'm like that with movies. I have tons of movies that I could rewatch, but would rather see something I haven't seen yet, but not so with games or books.

Ironically, movies is where all the remakes happen... and I hate them. Remaking a book is beyond idiotic, but hd-updates of older games is something that isn't really happening (except for the monkey island series) and it should be, I mean it seems like a pretty cheap endeavor, just overlay pretty graphics and maybe a less clunky UI over an old classic gem and voila! a great game!

I would love an hd update of xcom instead of the abortion xcom fps joke thing they are making...