RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

But was there any tactics or similar involved or was it diablo style?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yes, well - some games let you do it with a little more finesse than just... clicking on them madly. Dark Messiah for instance, that game was a hoot.

Or Jagged Alliance 2. 'Specially 1.13. Love the Drassen counterattack.

Thief games were brilliant aswell, want more of those.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Again I haven't played the mod but from what I gather it's mainly about shooting things and trying to stay alive. From the gameplay vids it looks like there is a fair bit of cooperation involved but I wouldn't expect incredably complex tactics or stratergy, more like cover all the sides, move wounded to the back and let them heal ect. I'll let you know on monday after I get my hands on it. Seems like survival was a big part of the mod though, you had limited ammo and healing ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwwPJ-KiN7c...feature=related

Edited by Serrano

Been a while since I last played it. There are various weapons and finite inventory space, so you need to diversify your squad to effectively deal with situations. With friendly fire also being on, it was definitely a challenge. For instance I used the shotgun which was super powerful at close range, and piercing, and I frequently would blow away my teammates if I wasn't careful :)

Again I haven't played the mod but from what I gather it's mainly about shooting things and trying to stay alive. From the gameplay vids it looks like there is a fair bit of cooperation involved but I wouldn't expect incredably complex tactics or stratergy, more like cover all the sides, move wounded to the back and let them heal ect. I'll let you know on monday after I get my hands on it. Seems like survival was a big part of the mod though, you had limited ammo and healing ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwwPJ-KiN7c...feature=related

Cheers. :)

Been a while since I last played it. There are various weapons and finite inventory space, so you need to diversify your squad to effectively deal with situations. With friendly fire also being on, it was definitely a challenge. For instance I used the shotgun which was super powerful at close range, and piercing, and I frequently would blow away my teammates if I wasn't careful :)

Hahaha! Sounds like a hoot! :)

A Game of Thrones: Genesis (A Song of Ice and Fire RTS) announced

I don't understand why a book series that revolves around unique characters that get killed off frequently and political conspiracy would be a good fit for an RTS.

Because it had a war in it... that's all I got.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And I still think DLC's are optional extras. :shifty:

Know what, you're right. And therein lies the problem. What the gaming industry wants/needs is spare parts (a steady highly profitable revenue stream). What they have is optional extras (add-on sales that may or may not happen depending on the quality of the add-on and the economy/fanaticism of the buyer).

And I still think DLC's are optional extras. :)

Know what, you're right. And therein lies the problem. What the gaming industry wants/needs is spare parts (a steady highly profitable revenue stream). What they have is optional extras (add-on sales that may or may not happen depending on the quality of the add-on and the economy/fanaticism of the buyer).

They do need that, and they've tried to exploit it by episodic games or just plain MMO's, only MMO's has been successfull as far as I can determine. But I don't agree with for instance some of Koticks ideas, mostly due to him being an ass.

When it comes to some games, I've felt that they've been underpriced due to their quality; I'd wanted to pay more for for instance The Witcher, and to a lesser extent Alpha Protocol. (Even due to the bugs, or in the previous case due to Enhanced Edition <- That was some awesome fanservice)

I keep wishing the Aliens RPG were still alive as well :\

I don't know. I haven't seen anything of the game and know nearly nothing about the mechanics. It's more about curiosity than about wishing it was still alive (mainly also because I'm not a super Aliens fan).

I believe that the Aliens setting would have made an excellent platform for an RPG. It's always about a small group, brought together by an intensely stressful survival situation, usually with a fair amount of in-fighting and group politics. That meant that a lot of the core things about the situation were already common knowledge to the audience and made sense, so not much explanation or lore about the alien outbreak is needed, probably not a lot of info is needed about the universe at large either if the game was restricted to a single colony. Obsidian could have spent a lot more time working on the characters and told a plot that was more of a personal horror story with tensions between the group rather than the usual RPG clich

Company of Heroes Online, which will be free to play (no doubt with lots of DLC) goes live in September.

This is the good bit though, if being griefed by pro-smurfs all day isn't your bag, is that the single-player campaign (The original 15 mission USA Normandy one) ships free too. Given that it's possibly the best WW2 RTS ever, that is an astonishing opportunity, it still looks and plays great.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG