RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Here's an article on second hand sales and piracy.

The car analogy is somewhat flawed because making each car cost money, giving each individual copy a significant value. On the other hand you can copy data infinitely and perfectly for a negligible cost.

While I agree that the analogy is flawed, I don't agree with the reason. Ease of copy would have it's effect on pricing, not second hand sales. It's flawed because the car industry already has a functional alternate revenue stream that doesn't care if a car is sold or resold - spare parts. From what I understand, their profit margin there is significantly higher than on a new car. I suppose this is what DLC is trying to mimic, but as it's still in it's infancy, it's nowhere there yet.

That being said, the reasoning in that article was awful. Second hand sales is what keeps specialized game stores afloat and without them I think first hand sales would lower dramatically. Not to mention all those who turn in a game in order to buy a new one.

Edited by Spider

The car analogy is somewhat flawed because making each car cost money, giving each individual copy a significant value. On the other hand you can copy data infinitely and perfectly for a negligible cost.

While I agree that the analogy is flawed, I don't agree with the reason. Ease of copy would have it's effect on pricing, not second hand sales. It's flawed because the car industry already has a functional alternate revenue stream that doesn't care if a car is sold or resold - spare parts. From what I understand, their profit margin there is significantly higher than on a new car. I suppose this is what DLC is trying to mimic, but as it's still in it's infancy, it's nowhere there yet.

That being said, the reasoning in that article was awful. Second hand sales is what keeps specialized game stores afloat and without them I think first hand sales would lower dramatically. Not to mention all those who turn in a game in order to buy a new one.

As you said spare parts could be very easily compared in that analogy to DLCs :grin:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The car analogy with spareparts does'nt work in comparison to DLC's, since spare parts more equals patches.

DLC's are more like optional extras; Carbon ceramic breaks and doubleclutch gearboxes. Or atleast they should very much be optional extras.

Yes, it is, atleast secondhand copies are'nt pirated copies of games. On the whole I agree with your arguements, many stores would go down if it was'nt for second hand sales.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just read through this, basically a summary of Bobby Koticks statements and changes through Blizzivison.

It's old stuff, basically, and I've heard all that **** before - but reading it as a summary my eyeballs damn near popped out of my sockets. What a rotten bastard.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah you can have several hero based characters and they could die....frequently :lol: .

I like the book series, so i am curious to see how they get this to work.

Who wants to bet that the game comes out before the next book does? :)

New Oddworld games in development. Click

I'm still waiting for that friggin' Oddbox.

Sorry, but you've been pawned by funcroc. But anyways, yeay!

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

As you said spare parts could be very easily compared in that analogy to DLCs :(

Except I also said DLC doesn't work yet and it's not a clear comparison. The spare parts are already invented. They need to be manufactured, true, but the main cost of productions has already been regained. With DLCs you have to create new product that needs to sell well enough to cover the initial investment before they start turning a profit. They certainly need to sell fewer copies than of a full game, but there is also a signficantly smaller market, albeit a more directly targeted one.

If a part in a car breaks down, whoever owns the car will need to get a replacement or get rid of the car. So there's no need for marketing or anything. Just ship parts when they're needed. Storing is the only cost other than production and I odn't know how that works.

The car analogy with spareparts does'nt work in comparison to DLC's, since spare parts more equals patches.

DLC's are more like optional extras; Carbon ceramic breaks and doubleclutch gearboxes. Or atleast they should very much be optional extras.

Spare parts equals patches you have to pay for. A patch is issued to correct flaws in the design, spare parts are sold due to normal wear and tear. So while a patch is a 100% loss from a production stand point (goodwill doesn't count here), spare parts certainly aren't. I'd say patches are more similar to the warranty issued with a new car, which is also a complete loss for the manufacturer, but needed for the goodwill it brings (and because I don't think anyone would buy something like a car without one).

In the end, it doesn't matter if the analogy holds up or not (and it wasn't really meant as an analogy in the first place, just an example), the point still stands. If the gaming industry needs to increase their profit margins, they need alternate reveneue streams, not to go after the gaming infrastructure.

Spare parts equals patches you have to pay for. A patch is issued to correct flaws in the design, spare parts are sold due to normal wear and tear. So while a patch is a 100% loss from a production stand point (goodwill doesn't count here), spare parts certainly aren't. I'd say patches are more similar to the warranty issued with a new car, which is also a complete loss for the manufacturer, but needed for the goodwill it brings (and because I don't think anyone would buy something like a car without one).

In the end, it doesn't matter if the analogy holds up or not (and it wasn't really meant as an analogy in the first place, just an example), the point still stands. If the gaming industry needs to increase their profit margins, they need alternate reveneue streams, not to go after the gaming infrastructure.

Car recalls equals patches, but I'm nitpicking. A patch does correct designflaws, but sometimes also prevents crashing. ;P

Spare parts would mostly resemble getting a new CD/DVD for your game.

And I still think DLC's are optional extras. :(

Valve have just announced a new game, an Alien Swarm remake on Source. It's being released on monday and it will be free.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/16...n-swarm-monday/

Did anyone here play the original mod?

I never played the mod but there were loads of games like that back in the Atari ST days. It's a simple and addictive kind of fun and if it's anywhere near as good as Chaos Engine then it warrents a download, especially as it's free.

Edited by Serrano

What was the point of it? Kill things?

I never played the mod but there were loads of games like that back in the Atari ST days. It's a simple and addictive kind of fun and if it's anywhere near as good as Chaos Engine then it warrents a download, especially as it's free.

Unless you vehemently oppose Steam ofcourse.

Edited by Azdeus