RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

EA has been very clear on the fact that they want Bioware game sequel once per 2 years. They spend big bucks to buy 'em and want a full benefit of Bioware brands like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. This console generation might last up untill 2015 so there's plenty of time for at least 3 more Dragon Age games with the same horribly and fugly engine :p

I actually just picked up the PC version of DAO yesterday (in fact, EA support gave me the barebones version of it for free as compensation for a mess-up, but I digress) and the first look at the "proper" baldur's gatesque perspective had me all misty-eyed. Text is a bit hard to read at a slight distance on a 40" tv, even at 720p, but I guess I'll just have to squint. Rather that, than suffer the frame-skipping kotorised PS3 version for a second longer.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yay, sequels. But at least it'll be a decent RPG. Maybe it'll all take place in the Deep Roads.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.

Your weapon is choice.

I actually find the 'takes place across an entire decade' assuming it's done right and is not a gimmick.

As for C&C, I'd have to play it before I can judge it, though Dragon Age : Origins was good (not overwhelmingly so, though) in that regard.

Dragon Effect 2.

Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

Now this could be interesting.

Edited by Mera

Dragon Effect 2.

Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

Now this could be interesting.

Pretty vague that. Could mean anything from more cuztomization flexibility to... Streamlining.

BioWare has confirmed that Dragon Age 2, the sequel to the 2009 RPG of the Year, is in development. Dragon Age 2 progresses the epic saga, as you take on the role of Hawke, a survivor of the Blight and the hero who will change the world forever

Predetermined character? Oh man this is going to go down well. :)

From Chris Priestly

While there are multiple races in the game, like elves, dwarves, etc, in Dragon Age 2 you play a human character.
Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Edit: Wait Dungeon Siege 3 is also coming out Q1 2011 right? Looks bad for Obsidian then.

The Witcher 2 is coming out in that timeframe too, and it's not like this October isn't full of blockbuster titles that will compete and probably sell better than Fallout : New Vegas.

The only thing Obsidian has to do is to make better games than what they've made until now, simple enough.

Otherwise they'll probably die as a company, considering I doubt a publisher would be interested in a developer that develops game destined to tank and to be appreciated only by a couple of guys on some obscure forum.

EDIT : Predetermined character? Why, just... there's really no reason to do that.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

You can be female. I would of liked to see the ****storm that followed a predetermined male character announcement.

EDIT : Predetermined character? Why, just... there's really no reason to do that.

Voiced protagonist.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I find it fascinating that the blurb doesn't mention being a Grey Warden. Perhaps they're abandoning that plot contrivance? Would be nice to have a game where my character becomes great by neither dint of birth nor membership in a prestigious military group right from the start.

Voiced protagonist.

With another incredibly bad voice actor as in Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol?

I can't see this going well.

Meh.

The obsession of BioWare with full voice acting.. it's not like people didn't buy Fallout 3 or Oblivion because the protagonist wasn't voiced. :)

Voiced protagonist.

With another incredibly bad voice actor as in Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol?

I can't see this going well.

Meh.

The obsession of BioWare with full voice acting.. it's not like people didn't buy Fallout 3 or Oblivion because the protagonist wasn't voiced. :)

I wholeheartedly agree. I have this sad feeling this voiced PC feature is going to be default now. Obs reject it for DS3!

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Otherwise they'll probably die as a company, considering I doubt a publisher would be interested in a developer that develops game destined to tank and to be appreciated only by a couple of guys on some obscure forum.

Enjoy posting comments like this quote all over the forum before DS3 ships and OEI shuts down.

If "better games" means games more liked by the mainstream, I don't want OEI to succeed I suppose. I'm selfish like that.

And wow, having a pre-determined human character for DA just kicked down my interest several notches. A lot of the beauty of DA was creating a character, especially with how they set up the Origins and races. Essentially, the old-school roleplaying injected with next-gen budgets. I had hoped they would expand on that but this just sounds like a step towards the ME style. Hoping they have something up their sleeve but I'll be skeptical for now. :o

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Enjoy posting comments like this quote all over the forum before DS3 ships and OEI shuts down.

Huh? It's not like me not posting comments will change the situation much, and you, as one that browses many forums to scavenge news, should know it better than me.

I've faith that Obsidian can do better games than what they've done until now, and of course, for now they've got their bases covered, but it's not like me having faith in them will magically make them uber-succesful. :o

P.S. : By better games I mean less buggy games with more polished controls and things like that. While a lot of the design decisions are debatable about games like NWN2 and Alpha Protocol, no one can argue that the games look particularly good visually or that they have a good control scheme/camera.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver